Sound system upgrade - Sonos beem + sub vs separate AV amp and 5.1 setup

Soldato
Considering an upgrade to my aging AV system.
Current setup - Pioneer HTP-071 bought over 4 years ago.
Passive sub, one of the speakers is having a distortion and AV amp sometimes takes a few attempts of switching the AV source to get the sound(mostly at first start in the morning).

Have been thinking of replacing it with a new Amp(Sony STRDN1080 + separate 5.1/5.1.2) but with the new house move I am more and more thinking of a wireless setup.
Sonos Beem + Sub with 2 x Play1 as surround back is what I am thinking.
Also going to be changing the aging 4 Panasonic plasma to a new TV - probably Sony XG90 or a OLED if funds permit :)

What are the opinions on wireless surround systems like Sonos vs AV Amp+separates?

As I have multiple other devices - Nintendo Switch, V6 box & Nvidia Shield TV - connected to the TV(currently using the Pioneer Amps HDMI inputs, and output to TV HDMI, using ARC), but SOnos beem only has 1 HDMI, I am assuming all my other devices now needs to connect to the new TVs HDMI ports - as such I have to ensure the TV has enough HDMI inputs? I am still trying to figure out how the sound work with Sonos system when using multiple inputs to the TV.

Interested to know what your points are on the 2 options mainly.
Thank you in advance.

Soldato
Go for a avr and speaker system, Sonos is more of a lifestyle system and where you are rules over by someone else.

Checkout q acoustics speakers.

Avr have more inputs than you'll need..I would recommend models with proper binding posts not spring clips.

Nor too sure about won't avrs, I do like Yamaha for reliability but they don't offer the most powrr output, in two speakers they're fine but with all speakers connected power output isn't great (but then so are most avrs) unless you spend big money and still even then lousy output compared to power amp

Man of Honour
Have a look at Yamaha AV receiver that support their MusicCast feature. There are MusicCast speakers (MusicCast 20 @ £159 ea) that can link wirelessly as 5.1 surrounds to the AV receiver. They can still be used for standalone wireless streaming too.

Associate
An AVR and Speakers will leave a Sonos Beam in the dust. Sonos sound OK but could never compete with even a budget AVR and speaker package for the same price. Plenty of good deals on AVR and speaker packages. Add a little sub like a BK Gemini II and you will never look back.

Soldato
Just to echo the other posts, if you're even vaguely interested in building a half-decent AV setup then separates will always win over a soundbar-based system.

Soldato
OP
thank you for the input, I like the idea of AV+separates to soundbar system as well, its just the cables that annoys me. I will have a look at MusicCast 20 as lucid recommended - thank you

Soldato
Any further guidance on this? I am looking for a kit for the new house.

I was thinking new denon amp with q acoustics 5.2.1 set up vs the sonus arc/two play ones/sub.

the sonus route will save a lot of hassle

Soldato
OP
Any further guidance on this? I am looking for a kit for the new house.

I was thinking new denon amp with q acoustics 5.2.1 set up vs the sonus arc/two play ones/sub.

the sonus route will save a lot of hassle

Thought long and hard and went with a dedicated amp + 5.1 setup(soon to be 5.1.2). We did a bit of work in the living room area and did some cabling work at the same time. Got MDF skirting boards with trunking built in to route the cables + speaker wires to the rear - so they are not visible over the floor. Rears are behind the sofa so they are out of the way. I am happy with the setup and it is wifi friendly as well with no visible cables hanging about :)
Probably in a few years time when its time for an AV upgrade I may reconsider.

Back
Top Bottom