AMD RYZEN 5000 SERIES 5950X, 5900X, 5800X & 5600X NOW ONLINE AT OcUK!!

Associate
got a email saying it is being shipped at 9pm and has been picked up by dpd, wasnt sure if i would get it but happy none the less, well done AMD for having stock that people could buy not like nvidia

Associate
I've signed up to the forum specifically to have a rant about this as well.

I took time off work in the attempt to purchase a CPU this afternoon. I got one in my basket at 1:57pm and then the servers kept crashing over and over making it impossible to actually make a payment. I probably solved that damn captcha 50+ times.

Once the servers calmed down at 2:30pm instead of getting a 500 error page, I noticed I was getting a different error telling me I was a greedy b******* and could only order 1. Checking my account I found that I had somehow secured a CPU but that it was "pending payment", except there was no way to actually pay for it.

Realising that I was stuck in limbo, I immediately got on the phone and waited over an hour until someone picked up. The nice chap on the phone told me he would happily take payment for my order but that I would be placed right at the back of the queue since I hadn't paid.

Overclockers really need to address their website ordering process. Fair enough its not easy to keep a website up when you've got high levels of traffic and it would be excusable 5 years ago but these problems have been solved by other e-commerce websites now and an experienced web developer should be able to make the process reasonably seamless and the fact that you can somehow get an order stuck requiring an hour long wait to call support to then be told i'm at the back of the queue is inexcusable.

I've spent many thousands at overclockers over the years but they've lost my respect over these past few product launches.

Associate
Does it actually say "pre order" in your order confirmation email or in your My Orders section on OCUK?

Mine does not, but I bought a mobo at the same time in the same order so not sure if that makes a difference.

Soldato
I've signed up to the forum specifically to have a rant about this as well.

I took time off work in the attempt to purchase a CPU this afternoon. I got one in my basket at 1:57pm and then the servers kept crashing over and over making it impossible to actually make a payment. I probably solved that damn captcha 50+ times.

Once the servers calmed down at 2:30pm instead of getting a 500 error page, I noticed I was getting a different error telling me I was a greedy b******* and could only order 1. Checking my account I found that I had somehow secured a CPU but that it was "pending payment", except there was no way to actually pay for it.

Realising that I was stuck in limbo, I immediately got on the phone and waited over an hour until someone picked up. The nice chap on the phone told me he would happily take payment for my order but that I would be placed right at the back of the queue since I hadn't paid.

Overclockers really need to address their website ordering process. Fair enough its not easy to keep a website up when you've got high levels of traffic and it would be excusable 5 years ago but these problems have been solved by other e-commerce websites now and an experienced web developer should be able to make the process reasonably seamless and the fact that you can somehow get an order stuck requiring an hour long wait to call support to then be told i'm at the back of the queue is inexcusable.

I've spent many thousands at overclockers over the years but they've lost my respect over these past few product launches.

Had a very similar issue with the 3080 launch. Their order-taking system (and the entire website backend) are likely ancient and unreliable. A few thousand orders should not break it apart like it always does.

It's very easy (and cheap) to have serverless continuous delivery systems for the checkout process, effectively infinitely scaling it using a cloud service provider. Do that and they can take hundreds of thousands of orders at the same time without it breaking apart.

Associate
Does it actually say "pre order" in your order confirmation email or in your My Orders section on OCUK?

Mine does not, but I bought a mobo at the same time in the same order so not sure if that makes a difference.

No my email doesn't say pre-order but the person on the phone went out his way to make sure i knew that my order will be significantly delayed because I wasn't able to pay regardless of when the order was created.

Had a very similar issue with the 3080 launch. Their order-taking system (and the entire website backend) are likely ancient and unreliable. A few thousand orders should not break it apart like it always does.

It's very easy (and cheap) to have serverless continuous delivery systems for the checkout process, effectively infinitely scaling it using a cloud service provider. Do that and they can take hundreds of thousands of orders at the same time without it breaking apart.

Cloud scaling would certainly be a good first step for the site. It appeared to be the database that was struggling with the load, although it's difficult to tell from an outsiders perspective. My personal approach would be to segregate the checkout from the main site via a conditional access proxy. The requirement being you've got to have valid shopping cart session to get access to the subsequent payment pages. Those who gain access would then be able to make their payments stress free.

Alternatively if stock is so small at launch why not do some kind of lottery? Open to previous overclockers customers. Express your interest and if you get an email on launch day at 2pm then you've won the opportunity to buy at launch. Give these users a unique link to purchase and give them 5 hours to purchase before opening the site up to pre orders. At least then it feels like loyal customers are being shown a bit more love.

Associate
Why OC is the only major retailer/etailer who is selling 5000 series at higher price than any other UK competitors?

5950X is £50 more
5900x is £30 more
5800X is £9 more
5600X is 9 more

Associate
There was at least one other place that had stock and was selling way over RRP (you had to call them to order). They wanted £589 for a 5900X and ~£850 (don't remember the exact price) for 5950X.

Associate
Why OC is the only major retailer/etailer who is selling 5000 series at higher price than any other UK competitors?

5950X is £50 more
5900x is £30 more
5800X is £9 more
5600X is 9 more
Prob Because they offer freeshipping for certin Forum users. But remember nothing in life is free.

Associate
Lol the behaviour of some people here is atrocious when you consider the state of the world right now. Popular product sells well, people grump that they didnt get one or the website struggled. Chill out for christ sake, it's a processor, it's not life or death that you get one right away.

Got my order in for a 5600X at 15:17, if I have to wait 2 weeks so be it.

Yes but what's really frustrating is the way these product launches force a pent-up demand. Its totally unnecessary and no reason a preorder queue system couldn't be in place a month ago were that permissible....

Its an industry problem I'm not directing that at OcUK specifically their main issue seems to be the website choking under peak demand, actually selling the 5959X as a pre-order whilst having stock was imho a sensible thing to do because people knew what they were buying.

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

Spoken with AMD and master distributors this morning, they are all informed that we have now pre-sold more than 3000 processors and my backorders are around 10,000 units.
AMD are informing me supply this quarter shall be very strong but in regards to exact numbers and when they shall arrive shall be communicated to ourselves next week, I am pushing for it today but it looks like it will be next week and I do know one of the master distributors is still yet to supply our initial wave 1 stock, that is due next week which is very large amounts of 5900X, 5800X and 5600X so all being well that will land late next week with ourselves along with a small amount of 5950X.

Hopefully I can bring you a more in depth update Monday/Tuesday next week and I shall keep my updates to this thread here, I won't be able to respond to individuals questions because we are very busy with sourcing stock but I shall try my best.

Have a nice weekend and thank you for pre-ordering with us. :)

OcUK Staff
OP
Hi there

OK our master disti who had still not delivered our wave one stock has now confirmed they are sorry for the delay and not having stock here for launch but that stock will now be arriving next week:
5900X - 300pc
5800X - 100pc
5600X - 100pc

Now I have posted amounts here, but the reason we tend to not post amount is because stock can and does get stolen/damaged/lost in transit and that is why we tend to not post stock numbers, because if customer who is say position 295 in the queue for a 5900X will now be think HELL YES MY CPU WILL BE HERE NEXT WEEK, but what happens if the courier loses a carton of the CPU's so that is 20 units lost, or a carton is squashed/damaged, that is upto 20 units lost or the delivery gets stolen.

That is why we do not generally post numbers because all the above does happen and sometimes couriers will split the shipment also so they will delivery half one day and half the next day.

This is why we do not post numbers because the stock comes a long way and passes through many hands before it gets to OcUK and during that journey stock can go missing or get damaged. Hope that helps educate some people as to the reasoning of why we do not post numbers and the above would normally be given as very large amount of 5900x and large amounts of 5800x and 5600x.

The master distributor had this to say in regard to what day next week we can expect the above delivery:
"hard to say as havent got pre alert - they generally deliver on wednesday on pallets but if not pallet can deliver any day by dhl . on the 300 it had a CMAD shipping date from aMd of 26/10 & SDD date expected arrival date of 4/11 which is why expecting any day"

So as you can see it is not as simple as an item ships and arrives next day, these large manufacturer deliveries can really take some time, you can see from above the 5900X in question left AMD on 26th October so by the time we get them they have spent two weeks travelling going through various warehouses and delivery depots. That is why stock can easily go missing or get damaged in transit.

I hope this helps people to understand and educate better as to why these things can take time and why the numbers we think were getting may always not materialise.

I suspect other distributors will also get some stock next week which I shall be working hard to grab as much as I can, plus AMD have our master disti purchase orders which now total over 10,000 CPUs. :)

I can give a much better level of transparency with a processor than I can a GPU, because with a CPU I work with AMD or Intel directly and then just master disti. On a GPU AMD/NVIDIA does not own that product, the board partners do and the different board partners have varying levels of communication, some are good, some are poor and they rely on getting GPU's from AMD/NVIDIA which can of course vary and go wrong due to the above also and as there is so many board partners and so many distributors for GPU's it is much harder to near impossible on being as transparent with the GPU's, again hope that helps people understand, I do have some GPU updates today which shall be posted in the sticky thread this afternoon/evening.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Back
Top Bottom