• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone slightly nervous about going red?

Associate
I also think this 5900x will be my last X86 based processor. I believe thst Mictosoft Windows will soon be widely adapted on RISC based processors based on an ARM template (maybe Nvidea then).

As soon as a machine looks and feels like a PC that a regular consumer knows, running Win10 (with its DirextX lovliness), it will be widely compiled for by game developers. AMD needs to quickly develop its own RISC CPUs now, or buy an Arm competitor, to compete.

Soldato
I didn't go 8 pack but I went for crucial ballistix 32gb 3600mhz cl16 - hoping the same if this is the case but I suspect it won't be 4000mhz, more 3800mhz.
I have both atm !
16gb 8 pack3200 cl14, and 32gb Crucial 3600 cl16. I will likely run the crucial, but I doubt I'll get any overclocking from it as its not the magic micron e die.
The 8 pack is 2-2.5 years old so I am guessing it might do 3600, but not a lot more, and TBH I would rather have the 32gb even though it makes no odds :rolleyes:

I am nervous about the switch to AMD due to temps, my current 8600k is so cool it will be a shock to the system to be seeing newer gen temps !
I specifically targeted the ryzen 8 core as I wanted a core boost over my current 6, and thought 8 would run cooler than 12. Having now read a few reviews, it seems the 5800x is the hottest version :o

Had I known this, I would have paid the extra for the 5900x, not because I feel I need the cores, but because it runs substantially cooler, but too late now !
I did try to secure a 5900x with a view to canceling the 5800x order about an hour after ordering , but it was way to late to get one in stock.

The 5800x arrives today, so I will soon find out where I am at :p
My new system will have a 360 AIO, so I am hoping that will tame the beast somewhat, if not I can see me sending the cpu back !

Soldato
I have both atm !
16gb 8 pack3200 cl14, and 32gb Crucial 3600 cl16. I will likely run the crucial, but I doubt I'll get any overclocking from it as its not the magic micron e die.
The 8 pack is 2-2.5 years old so I am guessing it might do 3600, but not a lot more, and TBH I would rather have the 32gb even though it makes no odds :rolleyes:

I am nervous about the switch to AMD due to temps, my current 8600k is so cool it will be a shock to the system to be seeing newer gen temps !
I specifically targeted the ryzen 8 core as I wanted a core boost over my current 6, and thought 8 would run cooler than 12. Having now read a few reviews, it seems the 5800x is the hottest version :o

Had I known this, I would have paid the extra for the 5900x, not because I feel I need the cores, but because it runs substantially cooler, but too late now !
I did try to secure a 5900x with a view to canceling the 5800x order about an hour after ordering , but it was way to late to get one in stock.

The 5800x arrives today, so I will soon find out where I am at :p
My new system will have a 360 AIO, so I am hoping that will tame the beast somewhat, if not I can see me sending the cpu back !

Ah I'm currently running the 8 pack 16gb cl14 3200mhz in my intel system too. But deffo thought 32gb better for the next few years so went for the Crucial. This is for my 5950x. I don't think they run 'that' hot. Not compared to my.i7 7820x which is about the hottest CPU I can imagine. Hoping I can find the AM4 bracket for the kraken x62 else I'm gonna have to go Corsair h150i which I've wanted for a while. My CPU arrives today :D

Associate
Not at all, bought a 3800X last year, and today I'll switching to a 5800X. I already got rid of my 2080ti and I will be buying a 6800XT on release. I never like Intel but they were sort of the only option for a while, and got rid of them when I could. I had a 3080 pre ordered the day the card released, but decided to cancel it after all the ****** stock situation. I personally rather take my risks with AMD, at least I dont feel like the company is trying to scam me out of my money.

Soldato
Ah I'm currently running the 8 pack 16gb cl14 3200mhz in my intel system too. But deffo thought 32gb better for the next few years so went for the Crucial. This is for my 5950x. I don't think they run 'that' hot. Not compared to my.i7 7820x which is about the hottest CPU I can imagine. Hoping I can find the AM4 bracket for the kraken x62 else I'm gonna have to go Corsair h150i which I've wanted for a while. My CPU arrives today :D

No the 5900 and 5950 seem to be reasonable temps (mid 60's area), but I have seen reviews of the 5800 mentioning near 90 with only one review going against the grain :eek:.

It seems it has more voltage than the others, so if I get a decent bit of silicone in the lottery, perhaps I can undervolt ...

Associate
TBH, Yes I am slightly nervous to switch to red in respect of stability, QA, temps, support and potential driver issues, however that's mainly because it's what I've read and had no real hands on with AMD architecture for almost 15 years.
Given all this still believe red is the way forward now; There's always a risk but without risk there's little gain.

Associate
I already have a 2600 in my rig, but the only thing which concerns me is the current benchmarks little to negative gains in overclocking for games. There isn't enough information out there from my quick skim of the release reviews to say why or if this is an issue, or whether it's a bedding in process with the BIOS/drivers.

It will be interesting to understand why this is, as it pins a lot of peoples purchases on longevity should they wish to eek about a bit more performance later on down the line.

Associate
I was initially concerned as there were issues with memory compatibility etc when Ryzens were first launched. However, bit the bullet and I have had no issues and system running very well. FYI this is compared to an Intel 8700k at 4.8 ghz.

Soldato
Yea, CPU progress for gaming is just non-existent and hasn't been for a decade. I went from a 2600k to a 6700k last time I upgraded and saw barely any improvement, maybe 5-10fps in certain (old and CPU heavy) games. There isn't even any point in OCing a CPU anymore.

If I was changing now I'd go AMD. I don't have any brand loyalty.

Last edited:
Associate
Yea, CPU progress for gaming is just non-existent and hasn't been for a decade. I went from a 2600k to a 6700k last time I upgraded and saw barely any improvement, maybe 5-10fps in certain (old and CPU heavy) games. There isn't even any point in OCing a CPU anymore.

If I was changing now I'd go AMD. I don't have any brand loyalty.

Funnily enough that's the same route I took. Had a 2600k from release all the way until 2016 when a bios update didn't go to plan and my motherboard bricked. Hands down the best single CPU I've ever owned and got £100 back for it when I sold it, not bad considering it was 6 years old.

Went the 6700k route and now ordered a 5900k.

This time around though I'm expecting and hoping for a significant uplift in performance, 4 cores just don't cut it anymore. My intention is to game and stream at the same time and the 6700k/1080 GTX combo struggles badly, yet my mate with his 3600x and 1660 GTX has buttery smooth streams.

Soldato
I'm quite excited about my first venture into AMD since the Athlon 64 era. My last AMD CPU was an Athlon 64 3800 which i was cooling with a prometia Mach II cooler in a Lian Li PC60 case....some years ago!

Just ordered an MSI B550 Gaming Edge board and Patriot 3866mhz ram kit to go with my 5600X when it arrives. I'm going to be setting calendar notifications as reminders for the 6800XT release and if it's released in the middle of the day i'll be setting my work phone to do not disturb :D haha

Back
Top Bottom