This Instant And Moment - 2020!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yeah I've not done 2FA everywhere, but it's on my email + paypal and bank, so worst case scenario it would be an isolated breach on a specific site, with little financial risk.

I should turn it on for everything I use where I can, but I wanted to cover the most important stuff :)

Soldato
You would readily type your passwords into a website that claims to check passwords? :eek:

It sounds bad but if you think about it, you aren't entering the username, it just checks a hash of your password vs it's database.

I don't think the website or it's creator are in the business of stealing passwords either, if you look at what the site does and why it exists, plus how popular it is.

Soldato
Well that was a fun morning. Turned the PC off last night as per usual and when I turned it on this morning it wouldn't boot past a "Bad System Config Info" BSOD. Windows auto repair said "failed to repair" and it was stuck in a loop of BSOD > failed repair > BSOD > failed repair. Tried rolling back to a restore point from a few days back, still got stuck in the same loop. Tried using my W10 USB to repair, no luck.

In the end I had to nuke the drive and re-install windows. So now I'm sat with a totally clean install of windows and it's bloody horrible. All my settings and tweaks have gone and now I've got to dig around in the bowels of Windows and go around downloading all the apps that were on the C drive. Just hope my games still work, they are installed on a separate 1TB drive so in theory should be OK and will most likely only require the launcher to be run, but all the settings will be gone if their data was stored in under the Users folder.

Good times.

Permabanned
Well that was a fun morning. Turned the PC off last night as per usual and when I turned it on this morning it wouldn't boot past a "Bad System Config Info" BSOD. Windows auto repair said "failed to repair" and it was stuck in a loop of BSOD > failed repair > BSOD > failed repair. Tried rolling back to a restore point from a few days back, still got stuck in the same loop. Tried using my W10 USB to repair, no luck.

In the end I had to nuke the drive and re-install windows. So now I'm sat with a totally clean install of windows and it's bloody horrible. All my settings and tweaks have gone and now I've got to dig around in the bowels of Windows and go around downloading all the apps that were on the C drive. Just hope my games still work, they are installed on a separate 1TB drive so in theory should be OK and will most likely only require the launcher to be run, but all the settings will be gone if their data was stored in under the Users folder.

Good times.

If only you made an image. You telling me even restore didn’t work? :D

I feel your pain!

Soldato

Good times.

What a PITA. Are you going to prep in case it happens again?

Edit:
I had a case of instant regret earlier.

I'd finished bagging my shopping at the supermarket checkout and was about to wander the few steps to pay at the card machine thing. When I looked, there was a fella stood right by it, on the "grid junction" taped area, with no basket or trolley, looking down at his phone. I said "excuse me" at least three times, each time louder than the last, and the member of staff on the till asked at least once, but the chap didn't even look up. I barked "HELLO!" pretty sharply and he almost jumped out of his skin, looked terrified at me, and scuttled away very quickly.

'kin hell. :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom