Have Nvidia just kept quiet about Freesync

Soldato
So I have a new LG27QN600-B 1440p Monitor. Looks amazing

However, it is not in the list of "approved" Freesync monitors in the Nvidia compatibility list. Set it up anyway and Boom works like a treat. In fact, works so well that RDR2 is now running on stupid settings thanks to Nvidia "optimisation" (not done by me might add)

So is this the case for all Freesync monitor and have they just not publicised it very well?

And yes, tested with Nvidia Pendulum and also get the G Sync on overlay when in-game.

Associate
many monitors work although they are not on the list..
it would be near impossible to check every possible monitor on the market...
they did say they will slowly add monitors to the list..
its more up to the manufacturers to get the "certification" if they want to make their products more appealing ..

most monitors now say they support ADAPTIVE SYNC which means they will just work with both technologies.

Man of Honour
The adaptive sync standard is a bit of a Frankenstein job with lots of features not intended for that use duct taped together to make it work - so you have some edge cases where it is doesn't work well - AMD has largely stuck a plaster over those issues with FreeSync (i.e. they'll just insert a duplicate frame at the expensive of latency rather than have flickering on some monitors) while nVidia have taken a different approach and less forgiving on monitors that poorly support it.

The newer ones with "compatible" certification should avoid those kind of problems.

For some reason there doesn't seem to be much of an effort to replace it any time soon with a ground up standard.

Soldato
OP
I get that there are some features that are not available to Freesync that are to Gsync devices, however, it was really not clear, at least not to me, that it will work regardless of the Nvidia list.

When I purchased my monitor I had looked and "assumed" (which is the mother of all **** up's) that it was not on the list and therefore would not work.

I am very chuffed that it does and the benefits are clear to be seen.

I just wonder how many people out there with a freesync monitor and a compatible Nvidia card have never turned it on? I paid sub £180 for my monitor and that really was the icing on the cake.

Also, the pendulum is quite mesmerising... just saying :D

Permabanned
So I have a new LG27QN600-B 1440p Monitor. Looks amazing

However, it is not in the list of "approved" Freesync monitors in the Nvidia compatibility list. Set it up anyway and Boom works like a treat. In fact, works so well that RDR2 is now running on stupid settings thanks to Nvidia "optimisation" (not done by me might add)

So is this the case for all Freesync monitor and have they just not publicised it very well?

And yes, tested with Nvidia Pendulum and also get the G Sync on overlay when in-game.

I have the same thing with an LG monitor I have. It is not listed, but it works just fine.

Associate
Gsync also works great on my Eleqtriq 27 1440p 95hz IPS which is a budget option but a very good value for money one, or at least was at the price I got it at. Only Freesync and not Gsync approved but still works great.

Man of Honour
This isn’t a Native hardware Gsync screen so it’s not really anything to do with NVIDIA? It’s an adaptive sync screen so can support VRR from compatible AMD and NVIDIA systems. LG promote it as FreeSync on their website incidentally.

You can’t really expect NVIDIA to talk about FreeSync on their website, why would they? They will list if a screen is certified for Gsync but that’s it. AMD will list on their website if a screen supports FreeSync too

It’s then down to the display manufacturer to decide what features and compatibility to market and promote

Permabanned
Mines on the list and one or two games exhibit excessive flickering to the point unless you reboot it is unuseable. But gladly only one game so far!

Man of Honour
I assume "LoadsaMoney" is saying that it isn't listed as an officially certified "G-SYNC Compatible" screen. But that the monitor works as he'd expect using Adaptive-Sync on his Nvidia GPU.
Maybe although unless a screen passes their certification tests it won’t be. (I know you know this :))

edit ok I get it now. Really wasn’t very clear from the OP. All adaptive sync (FreeSync) screens can be used from compatible NVIDIA systems for Gsync. The difference is that only those that pass NVIDIA certification receive the “Gsync Compatible” badge and appear on their list. There’s a range of criteria to achieve that ands it’s a badge of approval really showing decent VRR performance

FreeSync screens not on their list have either not been tested yet (if really new) or don’t pass the tests as unfortunately adaptive sync has been a free for all for a long time with no controls, standards or requirements. Some offer really poor VRR Experience too

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Maybe although unless a screen passes their certification tests it won’t be. (I know you know this :))

edit ok I get it now. Really wasn’t very clear from the OP. All adaptive sync (FreeSync) screens can be used from compatible NVIDIA systems for Gsync. The difference is that only those that pass NVIDIA certification receive the “Gsync Compatible” badge and appear on their list. There’s a range of criteria to achieve that ands it’s a badge of approval really showing decent VRR performance

FreeSync screens not on their list have either not been tested yet (if really new) or don’t pass the tests as unfortunately adaptive sync has been a free for all for a long time with no controls, standards or requirements. Some offer really poor VRR Experience too

I think my point was that when I switch on G-Sync in control panel

XVOOTCF.jpg

It does say "selected display is not validated as G-Sync Compatible" as it is not in the list.

However when in game the "G-sync on" notification appears. For me and I think others, it works flawlessly.

g2D5Zzh.jpg

I have no experience of what benefits a G-Sync monitor has over adaptive sync running on a "freesync" monitor? I thought it was what I was experiencing TBH

What I can say is on RDR2, GTAV, Farming Sim 19, The Witcher, No Mans Sky and ETS2 it works superbly well for me. In fact, it is a game-changer TBH. For £180 to play at 1440p with no stutter, settings much higher than I would have been able to use relying only on Vsync, It is a massive winner.

Sorry if I was not really clear. As I said I have no experience of what the difference is between the two. I am just super stoked that it works so well and my games now look and play awesome without me trying to get a settings balance where I keep my FR dropping below 75 to stop screen tearing and stutter.

Back
Top Bottom