Women and makeup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Make up is getting a bit out of hand these days tbh and it's not good. What I'm trying to say is Kim K is basically a horse underneath all that makeup yet you wouldn't typically find a horse attractive. People are becoming attracted artificially, therefore there is no genetic necessity for natural human beauty any more. How many people simply ignore the fact that their other half looks like a horse when they're not caked up with fakeup?

Permabanned
Major turn off! Worst thing when someone wears makeup you can be damm sure that you never get to see what they really look like well past the point where you should have been able to see what they look like.

Makeup actually leaves thier skin ruined, As when they take it off thier skin tone actually seems worse than it would had they of worn none at all. Mostly it seems to block natural sunlight and it seems to damage the skin. Its my main turn off and why i prefer people who wear none. I am likely to simply shun someone with makeup on and simply ask someone out who i see on a casual basis who has none on simply because i can see what they really look like. Girls should avoid this trap, Just show people who you really are! If a man cam present himself with a bar of soap and a comb being the main thing then whats stopping you?

Soldato
Major turn off! Worst thing when someone wears makeup you can be damm sure that you never get to see what they really look like well past the point where you should have been able to see what they look like.

Makeup actually leaves thier skin ruined, As when they take it off thier skin tone actually seems worse than it would had they of worn none at all. Mostly it seems to block natural sunlight and it seems to damage the skin. Its my main turn off and why i prefer people who wear none. I am likely to simply shun someone with makeup on and simply ask someone out who i see on a casual basis who has none on simply because i can see what they really look like. Girls should avoid this trap, Just show people who you really are! If a man cam present himself with a bar of soap and a comb being the main thing then whats stopping you?

You should try a bit of eye liner, it works wonders.

Man of Honour
That’s literally what make up is for....

No, it's not. It's to project an image. The purpose of projecting that image varies depending on what the wearer wants. Sometimes it's to attract a mate. Sometimes it's to acquire an advantage of some kind. Business, politics, whatever. Sometimes it's to compete with others. Sometimes it's conforming to a norm. Sometimes it's very visibly not conforming to a norm (which often becomes conforming to a different norm). Sometimes it's just habit, with no real purpose. Sometimes it's art. Sometimes it serves a psychological purpose, a sort of mental armour and/or a way of getting into character for something. Put your face on and you can face things more easily. Sometimes it serves a practical purpose to do with lighting, which is why it's so common on TV. Projecting an image serves all sorts of purposes.

Soldato
No, it's not. It's to project an image. The purpose of projecting that image varies depending on what the wearer wants. Sometimes it's to attract a mate. Sometimes it's to acquire an advantage of some kind. Business, politics, whatever. Sometimes it's to compete with others. Sometimes it's conforming to a norm. Sometimes it's very visibly not conforming to a norm (which often becomes conforming to a different norm). Sometimes it's just habit, with no real purpose. Sometimes it's art. Sometimes it serves a psychological purpose, a sort of mental armour and/or a way of getting into character for something. Put your face on and you can face things more easily. Sometimes it serves a practical purpose to do with lighting, which is why it's so common on TV. Projecting an image serves all sorts of purposes.

Bravo. I wasn't expecting that.

Soldato
Sometime in the future, our descendents will look back and find it bizarre that women painted their face like they do, particularly Scouse women who draw lines above their eyes with a Sharpie.

A bit like turning off the sound and turning on the lights at a club. Because drunk people dancing is also weird.

Soldato
Found the eternally single forum members! Maybe if you let people be people, and present themselves in the way they want to present themselves and accept that they aren’t doing it to please you then perhaps you won’t be so ronley forever.

Nor surprised about @Rofflay and his hair sniffing obsession tbh.

To the OP are correct to wonder why she bothers, we even have a phase to capture the concept, ‘lipstick on a pig’ and frankly comparing a pig to Nicola is an insult to the pig.

On a side not I’m not a fan of much makeup on a woman, it’s just deception, just a little bit of eye makeup is fine. I feel sorry for the ladies to smear it on, so their eyelashes clump up and they have so much foundation on it gives them bad skin - you can’t really tell them but you really want to!

Make up is getting a bit out of hand these days tbh and it's not good. What I'm trying to say is Kim K is basically a horse underneath all that makeup yet you wouldn't typically find a horse attractive. People are becoming attracted artificially, therefore there is no genetic necessity for natural human beauty any more. How many people simply ignore the fact that their other half looks like a horse when they're not caked up with fakeup?

Soldato
There are actually a lot of studies on the psychology of how humans respond both consciously and unconsciously to the application of various cosmetics and how they seem to act as a sort of extended phenotype. Falls under the signalling theory umbrella - and the type of signal can vary (i.e. it’s not purely ‘look how youthful and fertile I am’).

The use and types of cosmetics has been fairly consistent across time and cultures too although obviously the composition of the products has changed with technological advances, so it’s not just a western thing.

Capodecina
Soldato

This is a development of what I was saying earlier in the thread, but it was just taken as confirmation bias.

Soldato
Yeah, not quite the same. Studio makeup is one thing, but there's no eyelashes, mascara and lipstick on most men. Good try though. :D
That's because men seem to be blessed with amazing long eyelashes. And also how do you know they aren't wearing mascara?

99% of actors, presenters etc have make up one because of the discoloration, paleness that can appear from the camera and lights. (I've even found on zoom calls that my skin appears to have orange blotches when I've not even been wearing makeup)

That’s literally what make up is for....
Make up may be used by some women to appear attractive and thus attract a "mate", some women may use it to try and look better than their mates, some just wear it for themselves.

Wanting to appear attractive doesn't instantly mean they are out hunting for a man/woman to date :rolleyes:

There are some women who use it to cover severe acne/scars/discoloration etc. Yes you may say "well then that's to make herself more attractive" but put it this way.... it can also be used to almost hide themselves. If you saw a woman walking by with a bright red blotchy face you're more likely to notice her than a woman who just has neutral skin tone.

Just because they're wearing make up doesn't mean they are looking to be noticed. I have dark circles under my eyes and rosacea. I wear make up when I go out to cover it up and hide it. I also am trying different skincare products etc to reduce it and improve my skin so I don't need make up. Im not doing any of those things because of wanting a man. I'm doing it for myself.
Years back I had a nasty spot appear on my chin one morning, all I could do was put a bit of make up on to try and cover it. I wanted to hide it, though I still had a male colleague point at me and make a rude comment about it. Imagine what some women must feel to have that all the time. (And FYI acne isn't something everyone can easily fix, it can be hormone related E.G. it's a common symptom of PCOS)

I do agree that some women and girls these days seem to wear far too much and are obsessed with contouring etc etc. We aren't all like that but regardless don't just assume that it's for someone else.
God forbid a woman would do something for herself :rolleyes:

If someone (and I include men in this) want to wear make up and eye liner and lipstick etc then that's their choice regardless of their reasons behind it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom