• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
I don't have an Xbox One but I thought it was supposed to be even better than the PS4? If you plug in an external HDD, you can record two hours of 4K footage in a single file, can't you?

Interesting I didn't know this. Never tried game DVR with a external hard drive connected.

Looking forward to testing game DVR on my Series X on Tuesday.

If I can record 30 mins at 4k 60fps I'll be happy perfect for warzone matches.

I'm hoping they allow party audio or game chat audio to be included in the game DVR like PlayStation.

Soldato
Yes it can for Movies and apps.....:) Nelson confirmed a while back that all games are rendered at 1440p or below and upscale to 4K. Having seen both running I cannot tell the difference between upscaled or native 4K tbh....

So you have confirmed what i said its not a 4k gaming console

Soldato
Microsoft have just shipped my Series X via UPS for delivery on the 10th. It is worth noting that I only ordered it the other day when more stock showed up on the MS UK store!

Man of Honour
the xbox series s has dedicated hardware to upscale 1440p to 4k

it does NOT do native 4k

Where did you get that fantasy from, or did you just make it up?

Yes it can do native 4K, it just lacks the GPU and the RAM to do it on most games and has specs targeted for 1080/1440p.

The Touryst runs at 4K natively on the Series S for example, but it’s stupid that I have to even back this up with evidence as it’s just a widely known fact.

Last edited:
Soldato
My page now has no options or anything, so I'd assume they're organising the shipment of it today/tomorrow.

I have noticed that they've added an extra month onto my Game Pass since I last looked. I think that they've got it right now.

Caporegime
Microsoft have just shipped my Series X via UPS for delivery on the 10th. It is worth noting that I only ordered it the other day when more stock showed up on the MS UK store!

Just checked my account and mine has too! MS have added it to my devices as well!

Woop!

That's lucky you still got one for release from the other day!

Soldato
Just checked my account and mine has too! MS have added it to my devices as well!

Woop!

Yep, the stock coming in was obviously legit!

Oddly enough, I also checked my devices and it wasn't showing in there. Not sure why as it's all linked.

Soldato
Some people that have had their delivery by DPD have been able to pay £5 to change the delivery to Monday. I wonder if we can do the same with UPS?! I'm installing the UPS app to check!

Soldato
Where did you get that fantasy from, or did you just make it up?

Yes it can do native 4K, it just lacks the GPU and the RAM to do it on most games and has specs targeted for 1080/1440p.

The Touryst runs at 4K naively on the Series S for example, but it’s stupid that I have to even back this up with evidence as it’s just a widely known fact.
Its upscaled 4k for christ sake

Basically, the biggest difference is in the resolution. This is a console for those that aren't interested in 4K or in upgrading to a 4K television just yet. Xbox Series S delivers 3x the GPU performance over that of an Xbox One, designed to run at 1440p resolution at 60 frames-per second, although it will also support games that run at 120fps. Microsoft has also promised that the Xbox Series S will support 4K streaming media playback and 4K upscaling for games (just in case you do decide to plug it into a 4K TV in the future

Soldato
Microsoft themselves say series s doesnt even install 4k textures

Microsoft has said install sizes will be smaller on the Series S as 4K resolution textures are not required (via IGN). And indeed, that appears to be true for some games: on current-gen Xbox One, Forza Horizon 4 clocks in at 84.6GB and Gears 5 reaches 76.4GB. On Xbox Series X it's 81.9GB for optimised Forza and 71.9GB for optimised Gears, and for the optimised versions on Xbox Series S, it's 71.4GB for Forza and 55.12GB for Gears. That's promising, but I wonder if it's enough to compensate for a broader increase in the size of games over the next few years - Call of Duty: Warzone, for instance, is already a chunky 106.4GB on Series S.

Soldato
Direct from the devs.

For us, it's the very powerful GPU. So it was really easy to up the visuals in The Touryst to perfection. Depending on Xbox Series X or S, we render at 6K or 4K resolution and then downsample to the target resolution, so you have a very crisp yet extra smooth supersampled display. It almost looks like a good CGI movie and that's all with no temporal reprojection, so every pixel is fresh and unique without temporal artifacts.

https://wccftech.com/the-touryst-re...-almost-looks-like-a-good-cgi-movie-says-dev/

Soldato

The Falconeer developer, Thomas Sala, has stated his game renders text and GUI elements in native 4K on Series S, while the game world is rendered at 1800p and then upscaled to 4K. Given he built the game, I suspect he's possibly correct about this. And it proves there is no 1440p hard limit...

The 1440p bit was nothing more than marketing speak, intended to differentiate Series X from Series S, and set expectations on performance. It would, for example, be unwise to buy a Series S expecting 4K; the vast bulk of games will be way too demanding to render at that resolution, with acceptable frame rates.

Maybe just accept that you were wrong? It happens.

Last edited:
Associate

Woop!

Now this make me sad . preordered the 22nd still have pending payment on bank account for 3rd day and still no movement on the order from Microsoft

Back
Top Bottom