What desktop speakers are you using?

Soldato
Almost going for that exact same setup! Don't think I'll need the sub but 8030c + MOTU M4 is my next spice, I reckon! Went M4 over M2 for the line outs for a dedicated headphone amp + I got a deal on it that made it cheaper than the M2, lol.

The only thing I prefer on the M2 is the data on the display isn't so crushed, so seeing your mic input levels is much easier from a distance.

Is that TV the CX?
[/QUOTE]

You will be very happy with your setup, solid combo you can’t go wrong with unless you feel like you need a decent amount of bass.

Tiny compromise not being able to read the VU as easily but all that extra IO at a lower price is a nice brained plus you actually need it. :)

It is indeed a LG CX48, love it as my monitor. I swapped over the stand for a vesa one.

nice. How does it sound. You happy with it ?

I am my likely one of the worst people to ask since this is my only piece of “high end” audio but this setup has blown me away and I’m very happy with it.

Soldato
You will be very happy with your setup, solid combo you can’t go wrong with unless you feel like you need a decent amount of bass.

Tiny compromise not being able to read the VU as easily but all that extra IO at a lower price is a nice brained plus you actually need it. :)

It is indeed a LG CX48, love it as my monitor. I swapped over the stand for a vesa one.

I am my likely one of the worst people to ask since this is my only piece of “high end” audio but this setup has blown me away and I’m very happy with it.

Nah, I'm in a smaller room so considering the Genelec 8030c -6dB specs are the same as the Aria 906, which had just the right amount of bass for my tastes, I don't think I'll be lacking!

I tried out the VU meters and to be honest it's not as bad as I thought it would be as they're still perfectly readable over a distance. As for the mic input meters, you only really need to set it once (per mic) to avoid clipping and you're done, so it's very negligible really!

Well, I don't strictly *need it*, I just figured having the option to use a dedicated headphone amp would be nice to have in the event I ever ended up needing it. The headphone amp on the MOTU is very good, good enough for HD650s, but if I ever need anything that wants a bit more power to them then I can use this.

I could theoretically use a monitor out on the M2 to a headphone amp as well, but then I'd have to fiddle with the monitor volume knob every time and hope I don't blow my hearing off on accident. Do you use any headphones with your M2?

Last edited:
Associate
I read this thread hoping to get a clue what to buy for myself. I'll keep watching it for now.

I had a Logitech Z5500 I was happy with for years but that's faulty now. So the centre speaker you can see isn't connected and I recently mounted my rear speakers up on the wall behind and they're also not connected. For now I have a pair of old Gale G20 speakers which I was using in the garage/gym and a Amptastic Mini-T and I find it lacking. The amp needs a bit more power even for nearfield and the speakers are not bad but nothing special.

I find it interesting how few 5.1 setups there are in this thread. When I got the Z5500, surround was the thing to have but now 2.0 or 2.1 is it. Maybe I'll end up taking those surround speakers off the wall and into the bin. Either that or I need a 5.1 amp to use with the PC.

Associate
I run Q Acoustics Concept 20 on a NAD D3020 - sounds incredible! Considering changing my main cinema set up to Q Acoustics Concept 40/C/20, but scared my power amp will destroy the centre!

Soldato
Nah, I'm in a smaller room so considering the Genelec 8030c -6dB specs are the same as the Aria 906, which had just the right amount of bass for my tastes, I don't think I'll be lacking!

I tried out the VU meters and to be honest it's not as bad as I thought it would be as they're still perfectly readable over a distance. As for the mic input meters, you only really need to set it once (per mic) to avoid clipping and you're done, so it's very negligible really!

Well, I don't strictly *need it*, I just figured having the option to use a dedicated headphone amp would be nice to have in the event I ever ended up needing it. The headphone amp on the MOTU is very good, good enough for HD650s, but if I ever need anything that wants a bit more power to them then I can use this.

I could theoretically use a monitor out on the M2 to a headphone amp as well, but then I'd have to fiddle with the monitor volume knob every time and hope I don't blow my hearing off on accident. Do you use any headphones with your M2?

Very late response sorry but I have never used headphones with my M2 but certainly blown my ears out on different setups. :o

Headphone amp with volume control could easily prevent that from happening at least.

Got the Genelec 8030c's on the way, much like @mjones1 has. Hoping I like them. :)

Welcome to the club, hope you enjoy them!

Soldato
Wharfedale DS-2. I needed new compact speakers as space is lacking and they sound pretty good. Still really miss my broken Monitor Audio WS100's, why does nobody make high quality small desktop speakers anymore?

Soldato
I use these Yamaha speakers, together with a small sub giving gentle fill in of frequencies below 45hz. The speakers are upside down to put the tweeters better in-line with my ears.

sp.jpg

zSpt1iVSFAEXnpUi8

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom