LG 38GL950G - 3840x1600/G-Sync/144Hz

Associate
Mine arrived on Monday. No pixel issues that I can see, although I will have a proper look later in the week. No noises either, and so far I'm very pleased with the performance!

Associate
When will gsync waterblocks be available?
xrgvjb60h3v51.jpg

Associate
Associate
I changed from the gl to Gn and haven’t notice any difference g sync performance (yes in some use cases hardware is better but not for me)

loving the Gn it’s how I wanted the gl to be silent.... had two of them and could hear it. Think it comes down to people’s hearing and room... on arm I found mine louder as well.

Associate
These were the instructions I found on the web - search <lg monitor service menu>

These instructions are at your own risk - please don't blame me if you accidentally activate a setting in the menu and break something

To access service menu:

Via Joystick
Power off monitor - wait 5s
<L><L><L><R>
Power on monitor
When display is on - briefly press in joystick to bring up normal control menu (power off, input, settings, etc)
<R> for settings

The service menu should pop up now
To exit menu press <L> on joystick

It might take a few attempts get the sequence right - you'll know if it just brings up the normal settings menu instead of the service menu

Once you've got it though, you'll need to power off the monitor to get the normal settings menu back again

Does anyone know how to exit service menu? I've just finished my fan-delete project but I'm stuck in the service menu!

edit: I think I'm in the AGING screen, the one that walks around the border of the screen showing the temp and fan status. I can't escape.

Associate
Does anyone know how to exit service menu? I've just finished my fan-delete project but I'm stuck in the service menu!

edit: I think I'm in the AGING screen, the one that walks around the border of the screen showing the temp and fan status. I can't escape.

You need to move the cursor down to the bottom of the service menu where there isn't any option (blank) then power cycle.

Associate
You need to move the cursor down to the bottom of the service menu where there isn't any option (blank) then power cycle.
I couldn't access the service menu anymore, I was stuck in the Aging screen. Left and Right on the joystick would change the brightness or audio, can't remember. Up and Down would change from normal screen with floating AGING to all white screen.

Associate
I know this might sound dumb or maybe it was answered before but, couldn’t we just disconnect both fans and leave them off all time? Or then the monitor wouldn’t start? Or there’s the risk of melting the Gsync module? Does it even get that hot?

im at my wits end with the noise of this monitor so either I solve it or I’m gonna have to sell it and go for the GN

Associate
The service menu gives the temp. I’d guess..... it would thermally limit. Could try without fans but no under load and with the temp to see how it goes and the noise.

if it is the fan then maybe try and get a different fan in the case to at least provide some air flow....

or eBay and get a GN or water cool it!

Associate
I know this might sound dumb or maybe it was answered before but, couldn’t we just disconnect both fans and leave them off all time? Or then the monitor wouldn’t start? Or there’s the risk of melting the Gsync module? Does it even get that hot?

im at my wits end with the noise of this monitor so either I solve it or I’m gonna have to sell it and go for the GN
Scroll up and consider adding 3 small noctua fans inside your monitor and unplugging the GSYNC fan, that might be enough to do the trick.

Associate
What if I just unplug the Gsync fan, and try it? Does it really get so hot that we need a fan in it? wouldnt it be "safe" to unplug it and remove the red mesh under the top vents to make some room for hot air to come out? At this point I'm open to try everything, either way the monitor has become barely unusable, I can't stand the noise in my ears, now I even hear it when is not on, I think I've got a wound in my internal ear because of this thing.

Associate
What if I just unplug the Gsync fan, and try it? Does it really get so hot that we need a fan in it? wouldnt it be "safe" to unplug it and remove the red mesh under the top vents to make some room for hot air to come out? At this point I'm open to try everything, either way the monitor has become barely unusable, I can't stand the noise in my ears, now I even hear it when is not on, I think I've got a wound in my internal ear because of this thing.

I think you could unplug the gsync fan and try it just be careful not to break the housing when you're taking it apart. Probably the blower fan will come on and off and that will be a louder whooshing sound as opposed to the annoying gsync fan. Removing red mesh won't make a difference. My gsync fan would remain on for up to an hour after the monitor turned off. Are you in the US?

Associate
Just sent you a private message.

Permabanned
NOT AVAILABLE ANYMORE!

I wonder what happened? I keep find this with LG monitors. They keep making really nice monitors but they seem to fizzle out really fast. What's going on I wonder?

Permabanned

I must confess I am not happy with the latest G-Sync modules. I mean they must get damn hot if the fan remains on for so long.

Associate
Personally, its not even the fan noise OOTB that worries me, its how will the fan hold up 5 years down the road.

i can tell you now, 10 months since i got the monitor and the fan has become close to impossible to bear in the same room, i even hear it from the next room, loud and high-pitched, its in my head all day long.

Just to make sure about this, i ordered a brand new GL 5 days ago and the hissing in this one is way better, I'd say like 20% of my older one, definitely bearable (as my older one was when it arrived).

So at this point i'm about to either RMA it with LG so they replace the Gsync fan / module or in case that doesnt solve it, i'm about to disconnect the damn fan and play the odds of melting it honestly

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom