• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 9 3900 vs 5900x?

Associate
hey guys

im looking to build a new PC, I need some grunt for multitasking etc hence why I want a 12 core

I can pick up a ryzen 9 3900 non x oem part for £325, or 5900x for £546

of course the new ryzen chips are amazingly great, amazing IPC, can handle better memory etc etc

everyone likes the shiny but is the 5900x worth an extra £200, im leaning towards no but building a new PC with last gen parts feelsbadman haha

any people in here with any experience / opinions or maybe you just upgraded to the 5900x? anything to chime

thanks

Associate
It is truly all up to what exactly you plan to use it for...
Any workload? Rendering etc? Or is it gaming +some other stuff too? If gaming than is it 1080p or above?
If 1080p than what refresh rate is your monitor.

I don't think any application usage would justify paying 200+ extra over 3900x. Unless you one of those who like to jerk off to your cinebench results lol.
I got 5900x myself but honestly I'm not the type of user who will benefit most from it. Simply 5800x is way too expensive to even consider and 5600x has too little cores. Can afford it so got it

Associate
OP
It is truly all up to what exactly you plan to use it for...
Any workload? Rendering etc? Or is it gaming +some other stuff too? If gaming than is it 1080p or above?
If 1080p than what refresh rate is your monitor.

I don't think any application usage would justify paying 200+ extra over 3900x. Unless you one of those who like to jerk off to your cinebench results lol.
I got 5900x myself but honestly I'm not the type of user who will benefit most from it. Simply 5800x is way too expensive to even consider and 5600x has too little cores. Can afford it so got it

dont game that much but might start when the 3070 arrives

gaming at 3440x1440 100hz

lots of multitasking and may need to run some VMs now and then

your right the 5800x seems like a bad deal, I think the 10850k is better then the 5800x but I heard its so expensive because its the most expensive silicone in the 5800x because its on one CCX vs 2 of the others (5900x 5950x)

Associate
I'd just get 3900x than. If value is important there is no point in 5900x.
Yes 5800 is literally worse anyone can get. It's expensive and getting very high temperatures.
Very little use cases versus 5600x
I think that procesor is there just so amd can have 8 core option but they don't really want to sell it but if they do they get very decent margins on it.
They need to put a top notch yelds in them procesors think they rather keep those for Epycs

Soldato
Multitasking or multi-core processing as that can be very difficult things. When all cores are working the difference between a good 3900X and the 5900X is not that great so the £200 extra is probably not worth it. Multitasking would likely benefit more from the CPU with the higher single core speeds assuming the loads are not constant so in that case I'd still consider the 3900X a good buy until the 5900X prices reduce at which point upgrade to the 5900X.

Associate
Multitasking or multi-core processing as that can be very difficult things. When all cores are working the difference between a good 3900X and the 5900X is not that great so the £200 extra is probably not worth it. Multitasking would likely benefit more from the CPU with the higher single core speeds assuming the loads are not constant so in that case I'd still consider the 3900X a good buy until the 5900X prices reduce at which point upgrade to the 5900X.

I think this is what I’ll probably do.
Happy with 3900X

Soldato
Depends on how much you value your time, what you’re doing, and how long you’ll keep that processor before you upgrade again.

if you dont change cpu for 3 years then £200 over 3 years is much less than £2 a week... and that could be even less in real terms if the faster ipc of Zen3 saves you time each day on tasks.

Also, £200 to one person might be a lot of money, but pocket change to another, so it’s kinda entirely up to you.

Back
Top Bottom