• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5800x 87c in Cinebench...

Soldato
When you say manual is that a manual voltage only or a manual all-core OC?

AutoOC/PBO off in bios, then just using Ryzen Master setting to manual mode for both clock and voltage

I'm just running at stock settings though for now until the new bios stuff comes out. Good thing is the system is totally silent, I can't hear it in games over room ambient noise which is a huge change from last system build.

Soldato
lol

stock feeds higher voltage and lower amps.

all core OC feeds lower voltage but higher amps.
The same principle applies on zen 2 as shown here with a stock R20 run hitting 65c with 3975 boost and a all core OC of 4050 only hitting 57c.

An 8C drop in temps with higher clocks just shows how much stock overvolts these things.

Screenshot-4.png

Screenshot-5.png

Associate
try just setting the voltage but not the clocks and let it boost single cores instead of all cores set to manual freq, you should be able to lower the voltage below stock and get less temps

i hear v drooping to 1.33-1.35v under all-core load is about right.

AMD-Ryzen-5000-Desktop-CPUs_Temps_Overclock_Power-Limit_Profiles_2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
try just setting the voltage but not the clocks and let it boost single cores instead of all cores set to manual freq, you should be able to lower the voltage below stock and get less temps

i hear v drooping to 1.33-1.35v under all-core load is about right.

Don't think I can with current bios. Using a msi b550i gaming edge wifi.

Associate
Hmm, I might try undervolting then. I'm inclined to wait for a new BIOS but the temptation to tweak is quite strong!

Can anyone recommend a good article on voltage tweaking Ryzen chips to lower temperatures? Preferably written, not a video.

Associate
Seen the reviews where Zen 2 runs hotter than Zen 3, the only exception being the 5800x which runs hotter.
I'm a bit worried that my Scythe Mugen 5 won't be able to keep my 5800x pre order cool after seeing the ops results.

Associate
Seen the reviews where Zen 2 runs hotter than Zen 3, the only exception being the 5800x which runs hotter.
I'm a bit worried that my Scythe Mugen 5 won't be able to keep my 5800x pre order cool after seeing the ops results.
The thing is my 5800X runs cooler than my 3800X on average. I must have a good sample.

Soldato
I am honestly happy with the clock speeds. I didnt think I was going to be reaching 5050Mhz on a 5800X but I will take it. I want to see if it can stand 2000 FCLK but I dont think my B Die kit can handle it.

On its own stock boost, or did you manually o/c ?
I think you won the silicone lottery, mine will auto boost up to 4850 on up to 4 cores running stock.

Associate
using a r9 5900x with rog crosshair viii hero

at the moment asus bios seems to set voltage at 1.475 nearly all the time unless more than 4 cores are loaded when ram speed is set higher than 2133... my solution was to disable turbo pbo etc... all cores set to 4.4ghz, core voltage set to 1.15v never gets above 65c on my noctua c14s, all core benchmark much faster, single core not quite as fast, but i can live with it for now.

if only the chipset fan didn't randomly have to go into overdrive every so often to handle the temp spikes on the x570 chipset.

Soldato
Hey guys! Just finished building my new system with a 5800x and 3070 (after a few headaches with bios flashing..)

I just tested in Cinebench and my CPU hit around 85-87. Is this anything to worry about? Is the Noctua UH12S capable of cooling this cpu effectively? It quickly dropped to mid 30s after the test.

Has anyone tested in Cinebench with this cpu and gotten similar temps?

Thanks in advance!

Simple option is to stick a second fan on that cooler if it has only one like the stock pitures. Does it come with a second fan holder clip ? If so order a second fan and set them to push and pull. That will drop at least 5-7c maybe more.

Associate
Just installed my 5800x and running Cinebench R20 CPU went up to 80 degrees peak and 1.45v peak with a clock peak of 4.848Mhz, but as mentioned above had only just installed so thermal paste wouldn't have settled.

xrs

xrs

Associate
using a r9 5900x with rog crosshair viii hero

at the moment asus bios seems to set voltage at 1.475 nearly all the time unless more than 4 cores are loaded when ram speed is set higher than 2133... my solution was to disable turbo pbo etc... all cores set to 4.4ghz, core voltage set to 1.15v never gets above 65c on my noctua c14s, all core benchmark much faster, single core not quite as fast, but i can live with it for now.

if only the chipset fan didn't randomly have to go into overdrive every so often to handle the temp spikes on the x570 chipset.

Thanks for that. I was getting really weird results. At times my 5900x would be idling around 70 degrees. If I ran Cinebench, it would run around 65 degrees. I think it was the PBO causing one core to boost up to 4.9ghz which MASSIVELY increased temp. When all cores were around 4.6, it seems to be lower.

I've set my Vcore to 1.2 and my idle temps have dropped. I hope that the current BIOS is just in its infancy and some of the issues will get ironed out in time.

Associate
5800X is running hotter than other 3 in most reviews. This is normal

It has all of 105W (or 140W) power budget at hand to feed into single small chiplet. 5900X and 5950X spread this power over two chiplets, 5600X has only 65W for same area.
This allows 5800X to have all-core boost some 100MHz higher than other chips (at 16-thread load),

Back
Top Bottom