How does apple get away with charging £1000 just for a monitor stand

Soldato
Caporegime
It's a serious bit of kit, with a lot of design and engineering behind it. It's made of CNC machined aluminium with lots of adjustability in it designed with no compromises. So it's a serious bit of kit, with lots of design put into it, and a nice healthy dose of apple tax on top to ensure that poor people can't afford it.

Do you need a monitor stand cnc milled from a single piece of aluminium ? no of course not. But when you look at the engineering and design behind it, the price is hardly surprising.

Associate
It's a serious bit of kit, with a lot of design and engineering behind it. It's made of CNC machined aluminium with lots of adjustability in it designed with no compromises. So it's a serious bit of kit, with lots of design put into it, and a nice healthy dose of apple tax on top to ensure that poor people can't afford it.

Do you need a monitor stand cnc milled from a single piece of aluminium ? no of course not. But when you look at the engineering and design behind it, the price is hardly surprising.

Very little 'engineering and design' has gone into it I'm afraid. It seems pretty flawed to me as any height adjustment will result in rake adjustment too as it simply pivots about a single point. Seems a poor design choice to me if adjustability was a key element to it. Of course, the bill of materials will be a small proportion of the total cost, the rest Apple tax. But it looks nice I suppose, even if you wont be able to see much of it behind the monitor.

Last edited:
Permabanned
For people who have more money than sense who want to prove it to those who have more sense but no money. YOU WOULD TOO! Except you're broke.

Soldato

There’s much more design/engineering in my Benq monitor stands and they were free, free!

Caporegime
There’s much more design/engineering in my Benq monitor stands and they were free, free!

Don't get me wrong. i'm not saying it's not a rip off, but it's a big hunk of CNC milled aluminium. I defy anybody to make a monitor stand the same way, and not sell it separately for at least a decent chunk of change. Ain't nobody giving away something like that for free.

Associate
Don't get me wrong. i'm not saying it's not a rip off, but it's a big hunk of CNC milled aluminium. I defy anybody to make a monitor stand the same way, and not sell it separately for at least a decent chunk of change. Ain't nobody giving away something like that for free.

Can't say for sure but I'd have to disagree that it's machined from one big rectangular hunk of aluminium. The main body is most likely cast to size with a couple of mill left over on each face. Can easily face these to spec in a 2 part operation even on a 3 axis machine. Wouldn't cost that much especially when produced in bulk. Seems overly expensive when you consider how cheap aluminium is.

Associate
Apple can put whatever price on it they want to, people don’t have to buy it.

Same as anything really, watches, pens, cars, houses.

if you have the money and you want something you don’t need to justify the price, what is expensive to someone is pocket change to someone else.

Back
Top Bottom