Is used car warranty worth it?

Associate
I often buy cars cash, credit card that are at least 4 to 5 years old, keep them for upto 5 years and sell them on. This time, I have had to get a car on finance, after getting a reasonably good APR deal, with a local used car garage.
All of a sudden, I am worried about the warranty situation, or if something goes wrong, as I know I will still be liable for the finance.
The car finance company have asked me to consider buying warranty and to check on comparison websites. Been reading a lot online and it seems most of these used car warranties hardly cover anything at all. What are your thoughts on this please. Is it worth it getting warranty or just save the money and pay towards the cost of sudden repair?

Associate
OP
Sorry its a nissan qashqai, 15 plate. Most companies, due to the mileage can't cover it, apart from warranty direct.

Associate
OP
Hmm, thank all you all. So I'm better off saving my cash, having read up on trust pilot, regarding warranty direct, they look a bit decent but then again, who knows whose doing the reviews!

Man of Honour
A manufacturer backed warranty, sure. A random third party one, nah, I’d rather squirrel away a slush fund.

This. I have used both. Never had an issue with a manufacturer backed one. Never had a straightforward claim with a non manufacturer backed one.

Caporegime
I have a 62 plate Focus, not a thing has gone wrong in nearly 70,000 miles. Cars are much better than they used to be. Have a Google of common issues and if there are any then look at getting them sorted. If you’re worried then out £50 a month away for any unexpected bills.

Associate
OP
I have a 62 plate Focus, not a thing has gone wrong in nearly 70,000 miles. Cars are much better than they used to be. Have a Google of common issues and if there are any then look at getting them sorted. If you’re worried then out £50 a month away for any unexpected bills.
Thanks for the advise.

Associate
OP
A lot of Range Rover owners use them and prefer to use them over the actual Land Rover manufacturers warranty. They are supposed to be excellent and I will also use them once my Land Rover one runs out. :)
Oh I suppose because the land rover parts are way more expensive...

Man of Honour
Has anyone actually used warranty direct and needed the warranty?
I used them for a while. Straightforward to deal with as long as the claim is within the parameters of the policy. The policy is cleverly worded to look like it is very comprehensive but actually it does exclude some of the most common failures. I still had some big bills that weren’t covered e.g. corroded brake pipes, air suspension.

As long as you understand what is and isn’t covered and you are happy with the price they are a useful safety net for a major failure. My main reason for signing up was that I had signs of the gearbox and/or torque converter failing but that was 3 years ago and it’s still ok. I find a lot of the unhappy customers had higher expectations of the cover than what is actually stated in the policy, i.e. they didn’t read it.

I didn’t renew this year as the car went over 100k and the level of cover wasn’t worth it. Beforehand though, fine. With hindsight I guess I almost broke even but not quite. In future I will stash the money instead.

nas

nas

Associate
From experience, I'd never buy third party and only go manufacturer backed; where I'd only buy a vehicle based on it meeting the (fully comp) qualifying criteria.

Soldato
A manufacturer backed warranty, sure. A random third party one, nah, I’d rather squirrel away a slush fund.

I'd advise this too.

I had a third party one "thrown in" when i bought my last car, when something big went wrong (EGR valve) the warranty was absolutely useless. In fact looking at what it actually covered was things like sensors that if faulty would have likely gone whilst under manufacturer warranty.

Back
Top Bottom