Powerline + server routing

Soldato
Hi,

I want to improve my hone network latency, primarily for my network shares from UNRAID but also overall (a proper wired connection isnt possible without a huge amount of work).

Currently I use a powerline connection from my unraid server to the router, this is pretty simple. But what I would like to do is extend my wired connections (using powerline plugs) so my Smart TV and Desktop PC have a faster connection.

Unraid server - Powerline connection to Router

Router to serve the Smart TV + Desktop PC via Powerline connectors.

Now I am not sure how to set this up, especially if all powerline plugs are compatible with each other - will they simply all connect to each other and work as a network without the need for worrying how they all connect as above?

Or can/should I pair the unraid sever and router powerline plugs and the other router to desktop PC/Smart TV separately? (and if I do will this work given there are effectively 2 separate powerline networks)

In an ideal world it would be good if everything is routed via my router but not the be all and end all for me, just trying to achieve better latency.

Any thoughts/help would be amazing.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Soldato
I think you are in a similar position to me - I find powerline plugs to be great and so I've got one next to my router that then feeds to a switch that then feeds my main PC and my Unraid server which is in the same room.

I'm assuming that your desktop and your smart TV aren't in the same room as the server?

In terms of adding further homeplugs these should be pretty much plug and play - although this depends on the type and speed - from memory the earlier ones didn't play well with the "2nd gen" ones and I also read somewhere that if you mix and match the speeds then the whole network slows to the speed of the slowest plug!

What speed (and make) of homeplugs do you have right now?

Effectively you'd want a homeplug from your router to each device that you don't want to (or can't) access wirelessly - unless more than one exists in one location where you can use an ethernet switch to feed two (or more)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think you are in a similar position to me - I find powerline plugs to be great and so I've got one next to my router that then feeds to a switch that then feeds my main PC and my Unraid server which is in the same room.

I'm assuming that your desktop and your smart TV aren't in the same room as the server?

In terms of adding further homeplugs these should be pretty much plug and play - although this depends on the type and speed - from memory the earlier ones didn't play well with the "2nd gen" ones and I also read somewhere that if you mix and match the speeds then the whole network slows to the speed of the slowest plug!

What speed (and make) of homeplugs do you have right now?

Effectively you'd want a homeplug from your router to each device that you don't want to (or can't) access wirelessly - unless more than one exists in one location where you can use an ethernet switch to feed two (or more)

Thanks Stevie, really helpful - so actually a lot simpler than I thought :)

Will get all of the same gen/speed then.

One more question - Do they all work with each other? eg if I buy x2 pairs will they all work together or are they supplied as a slave/master pairing? (or if they are, can they be re-paired to work altogether)?

Soldato
I've only ever used 3 at any one time I believe but yes they should all work together as one big network!

Just be mindful of the speed - they will never live up to the advertised speed but in my experience still loads more reliable than WiFi!

Soldato
Obviously cat5e is the "best" solution, but that isn't what the OP asked for - I've used powerline adapters for over 10 years and have only had to reset/reconnect a handful of times over that period!

Associate
Same here. I've been running 4 X adapters (Devolo in my case) around the house with switches running from those to provide more wired connections without issue for circa 10 years. This has given me a wired connection wherever I needed it.

I'm in the process of wiring the house with Cat6 to allow greater flexibility but I have no complaints regarding the Powerline adapters.

Back
Top Bottom