AMD RYZEN 5000 SERIES 5950X, 5900X, 5800X & 5600X NOW ONLINE AT OcUK!!

Associate
102 degrees celsius on a custom 360mm waerloop setup, it only hits that for a split second at 4.7ghz and backs off to the mid 70's
I guess that's not water then, cos physics? What are you using? Sorry for noob questions but I'm new to this stuff :).

Soldato
I guess that's not water then, cos physics? What are you using? Sorry for noob questions but I'm new to this stuff :).

??? i run custom watercooling a ek magnitude amd cpu block and a ek pe classic 45mm thick 360mm radiator, but even then at 4.7ghz all core the chip does run hot.
this is my current setup

KVSTplL.jpg.png

Last edited:
Associate
??? i run custom watercooling a ek magnitude amd cpu block and a ek pe classic 45mm thick 360mm radiator, but even then at 4.7ghz all core the chip does run hot.
this is my current setup

Just out of interest, have you tried second jet plate included with magnitude in the box? Few reviews I saw mentioned it reduced temps by few degrees. Just wonder

Soldato
Just out of interest, have you tried second jet plate included with magnitude in the box? Few reviews I saw mentioned it reduced temps by few degrees. Just wonder

i didnt i used the 0.5mm thick plate that was already installed in the block, dont get me wrong at stock the 5950x is a diffrent beast never breaking 60 degrees under heavy load, but a all core oc and thing do get a bit toasty, most reviews said that when they oc'd the 5950x and i'm seeing the same but only when overclokced all core

Associate
i didnt i used the 0.5mm thick plate that was already installed in the block, dont get me wrong at stock the 5950x is a diffrent beast never breaking 60 degrees under heavy load, but a all core oc and thing do get a bit toasty, most reviews said that when they oc'd the 5950x and i'm seeing the same but only when overclokced all core
Cool, my question was more to block rather than related to the topic or pointing the reason for high temps ;)

Associate
Soldato
Associate
I think Gibbo said that your position will be emailed every friday or when they have a delivery.

I haven’t had an email regarding me queue position yet, i ordered my processor thursday night. Does anybody know why that is?

Also no money has been taken from my bank account yet, but when i pre ordered my RTX 3080 from overclockers they took money out on the same day so surely they should do the same for zen 2.

Should i cancel This pre order and reorder?

Last edited:
Associate
I haven’t had an email regarding me queue position yet, i ordered my processor thursday night. Does anybody know why that is?

Also no money has been taken from my bank account yet, but when i pre ordered my RTX 3080 from overclockers they took money out on the same day so surely they should do the same for zen 2.

Should i cancel This pre order and re-order?
Here's what I would do if I were in your shoes:

Assumption: you can see the order in your order of your OC account - check there first if you don't know.

If showing:

Call OC on Monday and get them to confirm that you have ordered and see if they can give you a queue position.

Please bear in mind that they will be inundated with calls so you will be waiting for a while if/when you call them.

If not showing then something is amiss somewhere so again call OC and get them to confirm that the order went through

Associate

Should i cancel This pre order and reorder?
I have only just ordered my 5900x on fri night i think. I havent had an email yet and order is still being processed for payment , this is taking much longer than usual. I would just wait as long as you can see the order in your online account.

Associate
I have only just ordered my 5900x on fri night i think. I havent had an email yet and order is still being processed for payment , this is taking much longer than usual. I would just wait as long as you can see the order in your online account.
Yeah the order is showing up on my Overclockers account so i will just wait and hope i get an email soon about my position. However there is literally nothing in my bank statements regarding my processor. Its not even being processed.

Soldato
Interesting:

In the comments is this essay:

Steve, this is long, but worth the read.

Apparently, it's not the "4x8GB" that helps the Zen3.
It's that using full "4-Ranks" (256-Bits of memory bandwitdh) will be optimal because of the memory cycles. It's something about allowing more cycle to start while more are finishing.

Ram sticks have ranks.
Most if not all 8GB sticks are Single Rank.
Which means if you remove the heat spreader, you will have all of the IC's on one side of the PCB.
1 stick of 8 chips on one side will requires 64-Bits of bandwidth. (single rank)
Using 2 sticks of Single Ranked RAM sticks will use 128-Bits of memory bandwidth.
When you use 4 sticks of SIngle Ranked RAM sticks, you'll fully utilize the 256-Bit bandwidth. More than that will overload/strain most CPU's memory controllers and you'll reach diminishing returns on CPU performance for trying to double your RAM. You may also limit your OC capabilities.

The "Sweet Spot" is 4 ranks of memory.
This CAN BE HAD with 2 sticks of RAM, as long as both sticks are Dual-Ranked (meaning there are chips on both sides of the PCB).
This is typically found in 16GB sticks. This is why people going for 32GB system memory may be in luck and reap these benefits with 2 sticks of 16GB Dual Ranked sticks. That will be a total of 4-Ranks (256-Bits).

Upon searching what kind of config would be best for a Zen3 system seeking 64gb of memory, I have stumbled upon the fact that the Crucial Ballistix MAX 16GB sticks are SINGLE RANKED. (Micron chips).
Not only that, but they come in 4000mhz CL18 @ 1.35v. Which would be a GREAT candidate for people trying to reach the 2Ghz infinity fabric.
The beauty of this ram is that you can buy 4 sticks of 16GB dimms, and be running only 4 Ranks and reap all the performance benefits while not overloading the CPU memory controller. This way you can achieve 64GB of ram for those that require it.

I was watching some reviews on this memory and left some useful feedback for some.
I have pasted it below for people seeking this type of information:

Regarding the Crucial Ballistix MAX 4000Mhz 32GB (2x16GB kit)
If anyone is wondering why this ram is so expensive compared to other 32gb kits...

Each 16gb module is single ranked. Totaling 2 ranks.

That means that the memory IC chips are all on one side. 8 chips. Each chip size is 2gb. Each rank requires 64-bits of bandwidth.

These are Micron Chips. Micron is one of the only companies that does this in the performance market.

Samsung B-Die chips are limited to 1gb IC's which means if you were to get a 16gb module with Samsung B-Die or other competitors, they would have 8 chips on "each" side to equal the 16gb ram capacity, meaning they are dual ranked, using 128-bits per module.

AMD platforms do NOT like more than 4 ranks of memory (256-bits).

So lets say you want 64gb of ram. Getting 4 of these sticks would equal 4 ranks of memory (256-bits), which in Daisy Chain memory topology, can actually perform better than just two sticks of single rank memory (using only 128-bits).

If you wanted 64gb of ram in 4 ram slots and you went with Samsung B-Die IC's or non-Micron, you'd get 16gb modules with memory IC's on both sides of all 4 dimms which equals 8 ranks since each dimm is dual ranked (512-bits). This could overload your CPU's Memory Controller, limiting your OC to your CPU AND your Memory.

I suggest really doing research on finding the best ram for your AMD platform if that's what you have. Intel isn't AS sensitive to this, but it still is to a point.

There is a fine balance with AMD's Zen2 currently. It's somewhere around 16 cas latency and 3800Mhz Ram with a 1900Mhz infinity fabric.

These 4000Mhz dimms are great because if Zen3 can overclock their infinity fabric to 2ghz, you can run a 1:1 with this ram. The advantage to this is: A higher infinity fabric will equal great performance boosts across the board on AMD (gaming, computing etc...). When you run 3200mhz ram, your infinity fabric is 1600mhz (same frequency as the ram before DDR). If you run 3600mhz Ram, your infinity fabric gets cut in half since it will not go to 1800mhz unless you force it and possibly adjust voltage for stability. So now you see why if Zen3 allows a 2000mhz infinity fabric, this 4000mhz ram would be quite the sweet spot as you could run a 1:1 divider.

Not to mention, when overclocking your ram & cpu on Ryzen... the SOC voltage has to be increased, and often times once that's pushed passed 1.1v, you can be victim of having your PCI-E 4.0 down-spec itself to PCI-E 3.0. This can affect users which are trying to benefit from the max GPU performance from newer graphics cards, and most importantly... any users using new generation PCI-E 4.0 NVME drives such as Corsair's or Gigabyte's current offerings.

Hope this answers your question as to why this ram is expensive compared to other 32gb (2x16gb) kits. These sticks are single ranked and most if not all are dual ranked. Because of this, it allows you to not complicate all of the above mentioned since it can operate a 64GB setup with only 4-ranks @ 256bits that won't need a high SOC voltage, and allow a possible Infinity fabric overclock of 2GHz on the new Zen3 platform which means you can run a 1:1 divider between the memory and the fabric. (2000mhz D.D.R. "Double Data Rate" = 4000mhz ram).

Finding 4000mhz 16gb modules that are single ranked @ CL18 and 1.35v is not an easy task. Micron chips are charging for that novelty. I don't blame them for the price.

Hope this helps someone in their searches for the right ram sticks for their Ryzen Zen3 & Zen2 systems.

Or TLDR:

Performance is lost by going above or below 4 ranks of memory (4x single sided or 2x double sided sticks).

Ideally you'd want 4000Mhz for a 1:1 divider between memory and infinity fabric.

Inb4 mad rush for micron memory with their 2gb chips and single sided ram and abandoning the samsung b die 1gb chips and double sided ram ship.

Associate
yeah but what is '4000mhz 16gb modules that are single ranked @ CL18' vs 3600Mhz @ CL14 or 3800Mhz @ CL16?

Ideally you want low latency and high frequency but you cant have it... be careful what you pay for until the benchmarks are out

Associate
Performance is lost by going above or below 4 ranks of memory (4x single sided or 2x double sided sticks).

Ideally you'd want 4000Mhz for a 1:1 divider between memory and infinity fabric.

Inb4 mad rush for micron memory with their 2gb chips and single sided ram and abandoning the samsung b die 1gb chips and double sided ram ship.
Would these Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G36C16U4B 3600 MHz (8GB x4) work paired with a 5900X I have on order with OverclockersUK?

Associate
Would these Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G36C16U4B 3600 MHz (8GB x4) work paired with a 5900X I have on order with OverclockersUK?

The recommendation reading that long post is to ensure that you do not have 8 ranks of chips. Minimising that risk, 2*16gb would be safer if you're planning to max your performance, at least that cannot be more than 4 ranks. Though as that long essay suggests that there are exceptions. If you can find out if your 8GB sticks are single ranked, then it wouldn't matter if there are four sticks.

Back
Top Bottom