Julliet Balcony vs Normal Window

Soldato
Hi does anyone have a Juliet balcony?

I am pondering the thought of creating a bedroom in the loft, an architect suggested a Julliet Balcony, lovely Westerly facing garden at the back. Lots of light in the summer months.

However, I do wonder what the pros and cons are of such an idea and if anyone on here has a Julliet Balcony. My "alarm bell" first thoughts are all about safety around children and possibly if it could work against me when selling the place on. Also, I did not realise this but I think I am beginning to get a bit scared of heights, either that or a mild dose of vertigo when at the top of a long ladder!

what do you all think?

Soldato
OP
yes right about space there, that could be the place where a radiator goes.

then it all hinges on exactly how big the room is and Where the radiator could go instead.

Soldato
Only upside might be that it provides more light in the room, otherwise as above, it's pointless and I think most people don't see it as a must have feature.

Soldato
Friends who have a 2 storey 'flat' above a commercial residence have a Juliet balcony in their lounge, in summer they often have it open as it's a nice feature when you are sat around with a drink admiring the outside world.. but in a bedroom? I can't see the use case..

Associate
lol looks good but building control will never approve that
and the view on the front of the house will probably let me peak into everyones bedrooms :)

I'm a Building Inspector - never seen one of these in person, but as long as the lower portion is in compliance with Approved Document K and BS6180 I'd see no reason why it wouldn't be acceptable.

I've noticed the bottom section hinges out, so appears to maintain the guarding height as it gets extended.

All looks non climbable as well to stop young kids trying to get over.

Soldato
OP
I'm a Building Inspector - never seen one of these in person, but as long as the lower portion is in compliance with Approved Document K and BS6180 I'd see no reason why it wouldn't be acceptable.

I've noticed the bottom section hinges out, so appears to maintain the guarding height as it gets extended.

All looks non climbable as well to stop young kids trying to get over.

would you not consider how intrusive that could be for my neighbours?

the last thing the hot young blonde from across the road would want is me peering into her bedroom window :)

*not really reality - old folks mostly around here boring!

Associate
would you not consider how intrusive that could be for my neighbours?

the last thing the hot young blonde from across the road would want is me peering into her bedroom window :)

*not really reality - old folks mostly around here boring!

Would be an issue for Planning if the window is acceptable or not, rather than Building Control - my focus would primarily be on occupant safety in the building, so I'd be looking at the structural aspect, guarding heights etc. As well as other things such as the windows energy efficiency.

Soldato
OP
Would be an issue for Planning if the window is acceptable or not, rather than Building Control - my focus would primarily be on occupant safety in the building, so I'd be looking at the structural aspect, guarding heights etc. As well as other things such as the windows energy efficiency.

ok cool

the juliet balcony just doesn't sound fit for a loft for familes with young kids
imagine accidentally leaving the door open one day just asking for trouble

Associate
ok cool

the juliet balcony just doesn't sound fit for a loft for familes with young kids
imagine accidentally leaving the door open one day just asking for trouble

Yeah - they probably do pose more risk.

The only saving grace is you would need a guard height of 1100mm for a Juliet Balcony, Vs 800mm for a window so a fair bit higher for obvious safety reasons.

The balustrade has to be non-climbable as well, so either solid or vertical balusters only.

Soldato
OP
Yeah - they probably do pose more risk.

The only saving grace is you would need a guard height of 1100mm for a Juliet Balcony, Vs 800mm for a window so a fair bit higher for obvious safety reasons.

The balustrade has to be non-climbable as well, so either solid or vertical balusters only.

how wide apart do u think those bars actually are? could a kid get through for example

Associate
We had one in a studio flat we lived in - was nice in the summer to leave the doors open and get a breeze in. The bars were very close together, no way even a crawling baby could get through. I guess they could chuck stuff through though.

Soldato
OP
Have one, in good weather you can open the doors and get the outdoors indoors.

One I have has glass panels not railings.

I think the glass panels look safer but surely more maintenance?

how often do u have to clean that? bird s*** must be a problem lol

Soldato
As above, I rented a flat and it was nice in the summer to open them up and get a decent breeze through, especially if you are higher up.
In a bedroom loft conversion, not so sure it would be much use and offer much over an openable window/skylight.

Back
Top Bottom