What have you done to your car today?

Man of Honour
What is that garage?! There’s nothing in it. :D

We've not long moved in but I'm trying my hardest to keep it just for cars :D

I need to sort out some storage racks etc but I'd like to get the floor/walls painted first.

Velcroed number plates?

No, it's 3M Dual Lock. It's absolutely brilliant stuff - stays exactly where it should do but if you want to remove for cleaning its dead easy.

Associate
Put the DC2 away in the carcoon for winter:
FmKIx1.jpg

xOivdp.jpg

Also gave the FN2 a much needed quick wash and polar seal.

Man of Honour
Would have never have thought of that. Have ordered some for my cars. Will be great on my Celica for removing on track days to aid airflow without faffing about with screws.

It's generally brilliant, I've used it for about 10 years now and it's never let me down. It is very expensive but fortunately people buy the big packs and split them down for sale on eBay so you can just buy what you need and it's far more reasonable (about a fiver for enough for front and back).

If I had to criticise then the plastic locks on the pad are sharp enough to snag washmitts if you're not careful :D

Associate
Investigating a code 52 (open circuit knock sensor) after some pretty extensive engine work:

40yA8PN.png

When I found it the wire was placed over the pin, but the sensor is ****** so the connection was poor, which explains the intermitten code 52. Not particularly happy about that and for what was an engine out job / strip down that would have required removal of all sensors and wiring loom I cannot understand how that could be missed!

Runs much nicer now, turbo now spools nicely under 3kRPM and its making usable power rather than feeling like its driving through honey due to the heavily retarded ignition timing and overfuelling in safe mode.

Associate
I havent got much done in awhile but I got tyres on the rear wheels today and test fitted them. Need to make some changes suspension wise but nothing major thankfully. Engine is going back in the car in 2 weeks time then its off for a full custom engine and chassis loom. I also pulled the trigger on an ECU Masters PMU and 7" ADU to go with the ECU Masters Black.

Snapchat-450315494.jpg

Snapchat-742692929.jpg

Soldato
I'm trying to get this sticker residue off to fit new plates but everything I've tried is failing.

Tried heat from a hairdryer, oil lubrication, a credit card, pads, all purpose cleaner...

Am I missing something?

How are you supposed to get it off the paintwork? :(

Caporegime
I'm trying to get this sticker residue off to fit new plates but everything I've tried is failing.

Tried heat from a hairdryer, oil lubrication, a credit card, pads, all purpose cleaner...

Am I missing something?

How are you supposed to get it off the paintwork? :(

What is "it"? WD40 will usually aid removal of most sticky residue. As will something like autoglym tar remover/autobrite just the tonic. There's also good old isopropyl alcohol.

Soldato
What is "it"? WD40 will usually aid removal of most sticky residue. As will something like autoglym tar remover/autobrite just the tonic. There's also good old isopropyl alcohol.

I'll pick up some WD40 as I have some cheaper stuff which isn't helping greatly.

It's where the old plates sticky pads were:

4OZi5Xj.jpg

I tend to keep cars a short time, but don't want to drill the plates... I assume it's always a ballache to get off the paint?

Caporegime
I'll pick up some WD40 as I have some cheaper stuff which isn't helping greatly.

I tend to keep cars a short time, but don't want to drill the plates... I assume it's always a ballache to get off the paint?

I've literally just done this on my 440i to fit my plates using 3M dual-lock. Autoglym tar remover left to soak into the sticky foam for 15 mins or so and then it peeled off with little effort.

I then had to properly clean the area of residue so that the dual-lock stuck back to the paint.

Soldato
Lighter fluid or isopropyl alcohol. One is available cheaply in corner shops, the other is an ingredient in hand sanitizer so unreasonable demand in 2020...

Never understood people using WD-40 though, it's got lots of additives that I don't want on my stuff. The solvents above just evaporate. Useful for everything.

Back
Top Bottom