Huel: The Future of Food ..

Soldato
So, Huel hot and savoury initial review.....

They did send me a full order, with one of each flavour and a new container (as a shaker isn't applicable here) and another t-shirt, although in large this time. They must have thought I gained weight ;)

No4edwx.jpg

My colleague and I tried the green thai curry flavour first. Tomato will be tomorrow's lunch.

It smells quite nice, and has an odd appearance with all the various bits in. With the supplied container, you add 2 scoops and fill with boiling water to a line on the inside......stir, cover and leave for 5 minutes. Initially I thought I added too much water as it was still a bit runny after the 5 minutes, but it did firm up. It's like a very thick, veggie soup - that's the best comparison I could make. I'll try it a little thicker next time.

sRwr65X.jpg

I took this after the 5 minutes. Now this is probably the shot that will put many off, but it looks a lot worse than it is. It actually tasted pretty good, has a subtle spice to it, and the consistency is like a thick soup.

BdMnDS6.jpg

If the tomato flavour is as nice (relatively speaking) then they may be on to a winner here. Certainly nicer having something hot for lunch rather than cold gruel.

But in typical Huel fashion, I've not long finished it, and I'm still hungry lol!

Soldato
Got some of the new Huel today. I'm surprised how much I liked it tbh.

HG4DeAch.jpg

YjiOW31h.jpg

I'll probably get a bag of the other one thrown in next order too. I think I'll likely have 'normal' Huel once a day still, and just throw this in every now and then.

Soldato
100g is 400cal

Depends how many calories a day you want to consume.
You'll have to do some maths.

They say 125g is a meal at 500calories, so you'd want 4 meals a day at about £1.32 per meal, but if you subscribe and buy now pouches per order it's cheaper at about £1.17 per meal so about £4.68 a day.

I can give you a referral but I have one I haven't used so will let someone else do it. But if they take to long send me a private message.

Soldato
100g is 400cal

Depends how many calories a day you want to consume.
You'll have to do some maths.

They say 125g is a meal at 500calories, so you'd want 4 meals a day at about £1.32 per meal, but if you subscribe and buy now pouches per order it's cheaper at about £1.17 per meal so about £4.68 a day.

I can give you a referral but I have one I haven't used so will let someone else do it. But if they take to long send me a private message.

Many thanks for the info. I'm guessing 5 a day meets the 2500 cal target for men so it works out pretty reasonable.

and thanks to @Shadowness for the referral code. Order placed, so hopefully I can try it tomorrow. :)

Soldato
Thanks for all the referrals that got sent guys btw, @Stumble Bum was first so I used his. Just placed an order, was really struggling to choose between v3 and black but I've gone with black as my plan is breakfast/lunch huel then an actual dinner so I don't have to worry too much about carbs for dinner.

Soldato
@AndyCr15

This is probably one for you, but obviously others may have experience too. I'm thinking of ordering some Huel again to have in as either an evening snack or something first thing. I had a workout with a PT this morning and with no food before hand i had a proper wobble and felt a little faint, which was an issue as i didn't actually think i'd overdone it with anything overly strenuous.

However i notice that MyProtein do something similar, and given the permenant discounts available it's substantially cheaper. Have you any experience with either this or some of the other alternatives?
https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/whole-fuel-blend/11314911.html?variation=11314916

I'll still be eating 3 proper meals elsewhere (Usually, Porridge/Soup+Bread/Whatever for tea) so not real need for specific macros etc, just something to give me extra calories without it coming from unhealthy stuff. At the moment i've got some nuts, but before you know it i've eaten a massive amount of salted cashews and there's then a lot of salt/fats because "a portion" is a pathetic amount!

Soldato
Thanks for all the referrals that got sent guys btw, @Stumble Bum was first so I used his. Just placed an order, was really struggling to choose between v3 and black but I've gone with black as my plan is breakfast/lunch huel then an actual dinner so I don't have to worry too much about carbs for dinner.

Good stuff :)

Quite liking huel 2 days in. Will probably stick to having it twice a day and the rest normal food. Vanilla is slightly nicer than Banana. And I think I prefer it with 600ml water instead of 500ml.

@AndyCr15 there's a fair bit of chat about that if you have a look at page 26 ish+ of this thread.

Soldato
I still have about 10 bags, I forgot to change my subscription twice so had 4 bags delivered twice that I didn't need.
Anyway one I get these down and I need to order more I think I'll try the hot version, green curry, Madras and tomato and herb seem most appealing.

Soldato
@AndyCr15 there's a fair bit of chat about that if you have a look at page 26 ish+ of this thread.

Sorry, I'm not sure what this was in reference too... and also, I don't have a page 26. I'm only on page 22 at the moment :)

@AndyCr15

This is probably one for you

Are you just asking if this is a good, healthy way to get your cals up? I would say yes, but I'm no expert :) I can't comment on the MyProtein stuff, I've not tried it unfortunately.

I had a workout with a PT this morning and with no food before hand i had a proper wobble and felt a little faint

How long were you training for? Funnily enough, I was talking about fuelling with someone at work, how I have found (I think) if I really restrict my cals on one day, I might struggle on a long ride the next day, but that's more about running out of energy and power after 2 or 3 hours cycling. I would think on a shorter exertion it might be more about blood pressure or something? Again, I'm definitely not an expert here!

Soldato
Well you’re both rubbish as I’m on 11 pages :p

I had a look back. I assume around post 750ish? Saw a few mentions of other types but not the MyProtein one.

I think I’ll give it a go given I don’t really need it to replace any meals, so other than calories, carbs and protein I don’t really need much else from it. My only concern is I find Huel “bitty” unless I use a nutribullet. Wonder how that one would be.

I was probably only doing around 30 minutes when I felt a bit off. I then dropped the weight for the next few exercises to limit exertion before calling it a day. It wasn’t overly intense either. Just stuff like lunges, some bench press and squats etc so nothing HIIT related or anything like that.

Back
Top Bottom