Do you have start stop system turned off?

Soldato
In the majority of cases for me it was most noticeable on a flat road, or with a minimal incline. More often than not coming up to traffic light controlled local roundabouts that I know roughly how long it will be until the lights change.

Coming to a stop, clutch down, brakes on. Keep clutch down and 1st engaged because the lights will be changing very soon. Go to pull away, light throttle and car moves on bite point, hill assist still biting so more throttle applied whilst bringing clutch up further. Before you know it the car either kangaroos or you launch off into the distance unintentionally.

Now I will concede, I have not experienced hill assist in any "premium" brand cars or even automatics for that matter, but I have noticed it in most cars I have driven with it.

*edit* - I lie, I didn't like it in the automatic Jeep I had for a few days once too :D

I just don't like how it feels :o

My car has hill launch assist which only activates if it’s on enough of an incline. I find it extremely useful. I’ve never driven a car that I have found it to be a hindrance in, automatic or manual. The above just has never happened to me, although I’m against sitting there with your foot on the clutch waiting for the lights to change :)

In regards to auto handbrakes, the only car I’ve ever driven that has caused annoyance was an old Insignia. It was probably broken ;)

Associate
I've coded it off in my Leon DSG. Initially wanted it off because I wasn't convinced it was doing the battery and starter any good but having experienced it for a day it got turned off because it was rubbish.

With auto hold i could stop at a roundabout and have my foot on the accelerator ready and just hated the delay. It was probably more noticeable than a manual though.

Soldato
Weird, most decent systems just use the brake control unit to hold line pressure to the calipers, nothing to do with a handbrake.

I never said it did use the handbrake, i said it makes it "feel like the handbrake is playing up". ie the brakes are sticking upon pulling away.

How it's working on a technical level is irrelevant, having a car feel like the handbrake is sticking upon pulling away is really irritating. Another way to put it is that it's like when you leave a car parked up for a month or two in winter, when you first come to pull off and you feel the brakes free up, i find it like that.

Man of Honour
I never said it did use the handbrake, i said it makes it "feel like the handbrake is playing up". ie the brakes are sticking upon pulling away.

How it's working on a technical level is irrelevant, having a car feel like the handbrake is sticking upon pulling away is really irritating. Another way to put it is that it's like when you leave a car parked up for a month or two in winter, when you first come to pull off and you feel the brakes free up, i find it like that.

I have never driven a car where the hill start assist functions like that.

Soldato
I keep ours on but there are definitely times when it gets caught out if you put it into first too quickly. It goes to stall and then catches it at the last second.

That, combined with the 1.2 tsi having 0 power before the turbo kicks in, has lead to some pretty interesting roundabout moments.

Associate
Leave mine on all the time on my Mazda. Seems to start very fast, never have an issue getting away from the lights on time if your paying attention. Mines a manual so crawling traffic isn't a problem, as you can just keep your foot on clutch. The system will activate below 5mph so you can actually coast a fair bit in slow traffic engine off once you've learnt to do it.
Electronic hand brake turns off automatically when pulling away, so you can be even lazier waiting on a hill, as don't even need your foot on the brake.
I really can't understand the aversion to these systems, as if it's somehow stealing control off you. Have to agree with Fox, I've not heard a single good argument to not use stop/start.

Soldato
The BMW with (gps) adaption on the automatic gearbox, so, why not an adaptive stop/start system that recognises roundabouts ?
do they use stop-start in the USA where, obviously, they have to stop at junctions ? I assume not

Soldato
The BMW with (gps) adaption on the automatic gearbox, so, why not an adaptive stop/start system that recognises roundabouts ?
do they use stop-start in the USA where, obviously, they have to stop at junctions ? I assume not

The newer BMW/Mini models do work this way. The system uses the front camera so if you are in a queue the engine will start when the car in front starts to pull away and if you are at the roundabout/junctions with no cars in front of you the system won't shut the engine off.

Associate
The newer BMW/Mini models do work this way. The system uses the front camera so if you are in a queue the engine will start when the car in front starts to pull away and if you are at the roundabout/junctions with no cars in front of you the system won't shut the engine off.

My 2019 Q7 does this as well. The engine stops and as the car in front pulls away, the engine restarts.

Man of Honour
I tell you what does annoy me; my cars safety feature which refuses to move if it thinks there is a hazard nearby. On the face of it, it sounds useful. I'm sure it is. But when reversing out of my garage, if I put it in gear too quickly after starting it sometimes sits there pinging at me with the brakes on thinking there is something nearby, when there isn't. I have to put it all back into neutral and start again to coax the poor thing to release the brakes.

Soldato
Thats "City braking" lol.

Someone loaned me a Yaris which had that. It went off within 10 minutes after it kept going mental between parked cars and oncoming traffic. It's just asking to be rear ended.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thats "City braking" lol.

Someone loaned me a Yaris which had that. It went off within 10 minutes after it kept going mental between parked cars and oncoming traffic. It's just asking to be rear ended.
Easy way to hijack someone's car; just drop a traffic cone next to the front and rear bumpers and wait for them to get out to remove them.

Back
Top Bottom