Gym Routine

Soldato
Started going to the gym this week.

I intend to go at least 3-4 times a week time permitting.

My intention is to lose some weight (half a stone) and generally get fit and hopefully tighten up my stomach muscles and biceps. Basically all over.

What kind of workout do you recommend?

For example, 30mins Cardio, 50 pulls on a certain weight machine etc etc.

Associate
Keep your cardio and weight sessions to different days

Try 3 weight sessions + 2 Cardio a week.

Biceps are a small muscle, so if your looking to firm up your arms you need to blast your triceps as they make up 2/3 of your upper arm.

For your abs i suggest weighted crunches and/or cable crunches. The only way your going to achieve the tight firm looking stomach is with cardio, as abs are often hidden by a layer of fat.

Have a look on bodybuilding forums for a suitable weights split that will meet your needs.

Remember Diet is everything, you are what you eat.
Get plenty of rest aswell. You grow outside of the gym!

Theres a little insight for you, im sure many people can expand and help you to achieve your goals.

Associate
Sorry ethos but its true....Try this. Flip up against a wall and try some handstand pushups, or try some one legged squats or perhaps some one arm pushups and then tell me they don't make you strong!!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Re: Go to this site mate

Originally posted by molin
it teaches exercises using just your own bodyweight and is far superior to weight training in terms of giving you strength, endurance, flexibility and health.

Sucked you right in didn't they. There is nothing wrong with Matt Furey's stuff but saying you can get stronger with only bodyweight an no additional weight is stupid.

So if someone can squat 300lbs what use are one legged squats to them if they weight say 190lbs? Unless you add weight theres simply not enough resistance to cause the muscles to adapt and get stronger.

I can do somewhere in the region of 20 bodyweight dips, I don't want to train for endurance I want to train to get stronger, so what do I do, simple I add weight progressively, thats how you get stronger. You want me to believe I can get stronger by never adding weight?

Associate
Do the math

Well hows about this.

Say you can squat 20 times with 300lbs you have lifted a total of 6000lbs. Now you are unable to do anymore.

Now try bodyweight squats, since they are so easy we'll do 50, with a bodyweight of 190lbs. Thats 9500lbs lifted and you can still keep going. Who is stronger??

Associate
Re: Re: Go to this site mate

Originally posted by dan1979

I can do somewhere in the region of 20 bodyweight dips, I don't want to train for endurance I want to train to get stronger, so what do I do, simple I add weight progressively, thats how you get stronger. You want me to believe I can get stronger by never adding weight?

Lol at this !!!

So you are saying you would rather be a bulky muscly oaf who thinks hes strong because he can lift a heavy weight but cant do more than 30 pushups because he has zero endurance!! lol and you think thats strength :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Your maths is flawed. a bodyweight squat does not = bodyweight, your not lifting the whole body, the lower leg remains on the ground.

The person who can do the most reps has the best endurance
and stamina.

The strongest person is the one who can generate the most force, look up the word strength in the dictionary!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Re: Re: Re: Go to this site mate

Originally posted by Mr Dave
Lol at this !!!

So you are saying you would rather be a bulky muscly oaf who thinks hes strong because he can lift a heavy weight but cant do more than 30 pushups because he has zero endurance!! lol and you think thats strength :rolleyes:

What on earth are you rambling about?

Where did I say I don't have endurance? what makes you think I can't do more than thirty pushups?

I don't want to do 20+ dips, I prefer to work in lower ranges with heavier weight, this is my preference - this is bad because.....?

You seem to be assuming a lot.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Associate
Superman

Well if icd lift my legs too i would be superman and wouldnt give advice. Would be too busy saving innocent people.

What makes you think lifting a huge weight gives you more force??? Do you think you could honestly generate more bodily force than a gymnast or ballet dancer who never go near weights.

Let me ask you summin how many injuries do you have from lifting.....be honest!!!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Force = mass x acceleration

I don't have injuries from lifting, the only problem I've had was structural, a mis-aligned pelvis which caused back pain, I have lordosis and scoliosis to a mild degree.

I am a huge advocate of bodyweight exercises, every thread on training I've posted in you'll see me telling people to dip and chin, and other CCKE's. Saying you can build more strength without additional weight is plain wrong. You think worlds strongest man competitors, powerlifters or olymic lifters do bodyweight exercises to build their phenomenal levels of strength?

I don't recall Matt Furey or any of his disciples winning any contests in any strength related fields.

Associate
World's Strongest Man

Since when has it all been about winning contests. The guys on those contests, dont get me wrong, are strong and can do amazing things but they are also very unhealthy, racked with pain and injuries, suffer from high blood pressure and look like The Hulk.

Strength is not about only your muscles, if your organs aint strong your muscles are worthless. You say I have been sucked in. By what exactly??? The fact that bodyweight exercises are completely natural and what the human body is designed for.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
You're assuming lifting heavy weight somehow relates to ill-health and injury, thats simply not true. If they have high blood pressure its because of their diet and drug usage not because they lift heavy weights.

I say you've been sucked in because you sound like a zealot only believing one view, how many books on training and the body have you read?

Have you read anything for example on CNS adaption, sarcomere hypertrophy, muscle fibre types, hormonal response?

Associate
Only opinion not truth

So by the fact that I hold an opinion that differs from yours I have somehow been SUCKED IN?? So then you must have too been sucked into have such strong beliefs in your "preferred" method of training.

I respect the fact that you train in the first place, I have just formed an opinion over a number of years from how the different types of training FEEL.

Not neccesarily, from what I feel are over complicated research textbooks imo!!!

Just because i think weight training is a wholly unhealthy practice does not make it so. Only problem with you guys is you wont even try a different approach fully b4 judging prefferring to stick with old faithful!!!!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Every point you've made to me I've countered and you have come back with nothing, just waffle about Superman.

You've just admitted you don't know about concepts such as slow and fast twitch fibres, neural adaption, etc.

If you don't understand these basic concepts of how the body works how can you be so sure of yourself?

You think weight training is a wholly unhealhty practice, based on what? You've just confirmed you don't understand the workings of the CNS and musculature so how could you possibly of reached that conclusion? Overcomplicated textbooks - yeah what would scientists know about the body and how it works.

How can you have reached such a conclusion when physicians and scientsts all over the world tell us resistance training is good for us, there are numerous studies backing this up, but you know better right?

If you have such wonderful info share it, I've seen nothing to validate your opinion, do you even have an opinion? all it seems like is regurgitating what you read in one book.

Matt Furrey is a businessman, his aim is to sell products, part of marketing is to belittle the opposition to make people think the product or service you are offering is superior.

There is no basis for any discussion here, you don't know anything about the subject, you have a second hand theory sold to you that don't understand. Everyones wrong except you but you don't know why or how, they just are.

Soldato
Re: Do the math

Originally posted by molin
Well hows about this.

Say you can squat 20 times with 300lbs you have lifted a total of 6000lbs. Now you are unable to do anymore.

Now try bodyweight squats, since they are so easy we'll do 50, with a bodyweight of 190lbs. Thats 9500lbs lifted and you can still keep going. Who is stronger??

That's really cool... according to that....
Someone at 250lbs squatting 500lbs for 3...
Doing 7 bodyweight squats is a better show of strength.

I'm gonna stop heavy squatting and just do a dozen of bodyweight squats each week from now on :D I'll be mega strong in no time.

Associate
Handbags at dawn

When did I admit I knew nothing of scientific strength concepts ???? Just because I think they are over complicated doesnt mean I have not studied them, but due to your incessant quoting of big words you are obviously a fine sacholar.

You also have to remember Mr.Furey and co all lifted weights for years prior to switching to bodyweight only, some even sticking with weights because they enjoy.

You say I come back with nothing, when all you can do is attempt to insult my knowledge because you THINK I know nothing. So what do all your beloved scientific principles prove that weight training is a superior practice or are you just proud to know lots of big words. I would say the real experts are the field testers not the scientists in this case, if they were they would rule every test of strength with their FAR superior knowledge of the human body and its workings.

Your defensiveness seems to hint at insecurity in your beliefs to me.......

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
You're still waffling around the subject without making any points whatsoever. You offer nothing, why should anyone bother to listen to what you have to say if you can't substantiate it or give any reasoning for it, if bodyweight exercises are so good tell us why, all I've seen so far was the pathetic bodyweight squat example which falls apart on many levels.

You know nothing about my beliefs but just assume I am part of the 'other side' as someohow defined by your singularly biased point of view. You say I won't try another point of view, I wasn't aware you had extensive knowledge of my training history.

If you're going to keep posting in this thread, write something of note not just criticising things you don't understand. Write something worth reading.

Back
Top Bottom