OcUK Dadsnet thread

Soldato
So we have a 7 month old son and we have just booked him into nursery for starting next year. One thing that occurred to me later was that once he starts school, how on Earth do parents who both work full time cope with all the school holidays, in terms of childcare whilst working?

Would be interested to hear your views / situations. My partner will go back 3 days a week once her maternity finishes up, and obviously school is a LONG way away yet, but it certainly got me thinking! Particularly with the summer hols...when they are too young to be left alone in the house etc.

You pony up the cash for day care, it's brutally expensive. If you're both working and it's the summer holidays, then you're looking 700-£1000 per month for day care...for just one child (try having twins :o:() There was a while a few years ago where I was working, just to pay childcare, just so I could go into work, to afford childcare, to let me go to work, to afford childcare, etc horrible circle.

Soldato
My 4 year old son wandered into the living room the other day holding a kitchen knife, as in the really sharp ones as the end of one of his carrots was too pointy. It was a mixture of laughing and shock:p.

Associate
My other half is trying to convince me to commit to an eletric ride on for my toddler, i don't see why a balance/pedal bike wont do.

In my experience they are often poorly made, underpowered and get chucked in the back of the shed after the second day, anyone got a different opinion on them?

Soldato
My other half is trying to convince me to commit to an eletric ride on for my toddler, i don't see why a balance/pedal bike wont do.

In my experience they are often poorly made, underpowered and get chucked in the back of the shed after the second day, anyone got a different opinion on them?

Bought one from eBay for £100 about 3 years ago, a yellow Audi with lights etc. My daughter loved it and we handed it to down to a relation, it’s still going strong. Used in my parents largish garden, think it was 12v, it had 2 motors.

Soldato
Still contemplating what is the best route for putting money away for our little one until he is older and mature enough to spend it wisely. Because of the last point, we'll not be using a junior ISA because the money will be all his when he turns 18, but on the other hand, any other avenue attracts taxes when he receives it.

I'm currently just a couple grand in a savings account but over the long term of 18+ yrs I'd like to invest more wisely. A stocks and shares isa in my name until I deem it fit to give it him perhaps? Or maybe gamble on etoro in some promising looking stocks... Goodness knows.

Soldato
Still contemplating what is the best route for putting money away for our little one until he is older and mature enough to spend it wisely. Because of the last point, we'll not be using a junior ISA because the money will be all his when he turns 18, but on the other hand, any other avenue attracts taxes when he receives it.

I'm currently just a couple grand in a savings account but over the long term of 18+ yrs I'd like to invest more wisely. A stocks and shares isa in my name until I deem it fit to give it him perhaps? Or maybe gamble on etoro in some promising looking stocks... Goodness knows.

Get him a sovereign or two every Birthday, then when he's 18, he'll have 36 sovereigns > then he be like James Bond from Russia with love > profit = RIP Sean Connery.

Soldato

I was thinking of doing a stocks and shares ISA... there are some intended for saving for kids available on HL though I haven't looked through all of the terms etc. yet

Soldato
Never ever leave your child for one second. My 13 month boy somehow managed to feel his way to a big pot of sudocrem. My Bissel carpet cleaner sorted it out thank god!

A4lwSbq.jpg

Wow. We faced a similar issue with our little darling at about the same age. The picture is almost identical including the colour of the carpet (John Lewis per chance?). It happened months and months ago but I still started twitching when I saw this post :D

Caporegime
Wow. We faced a similar issue with our little darling at about the same age. The picture is almost identical including the colour of the carpet (John Lewis per chance?). It happened months and months ago but I still started twitching when I saw this post :D

It actually happened twice. First with the wife then with me. I ate humble pie after ribbing her the first time. :D

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
I could write a book on some of the daft stuff my kids have done. My girls, now 8&7, werent too bad, my son,2.5, is an absolute nut job.

Love him to bits but hes a nightmare, nothing is safe. even putting stuff out of reach isnt working, hes like sodding spiderman at climbing. Ive just invested in a sit stand desk so at least my laptop and pc are out of reach when im not in the room. If theres a slot or aperture of any sort, it will have things inserted into it. And dont even get me started on nappy training the little git. My nice new onkyo amp has been sharpie'd, the office chair has been slathered with vaseline. He spilt a a big bottle of hand gel all over my drivers seat whilst i was washing my car. I could go on and on and on and on and on :p

Soldato
I could write a book on some of the daft stuff my kids have done. My girls, now 8&7, werent too bad, my son,2.5, is an absolute nut job.

Love him to bits but hes a nightmare, nothing is safe. even putting stuff out of reach isnt working, hes like sodding spiderman at climbing. Ive just invested in a sit stand desk so at least my laptop and pc are out of reach when im not in the room. If theres a slot or aperture of any sort, it will have things inserted into it. And dont even get me started on nappy training the little git. My nice new onkyo amp has been sharpie'd, the office chair has been slathered with vaseline. He spilt a a big bottle of hand gel all over my drivers seat whilst i was washing my car. I could go on and on and on and on and on :p

Haha! I've got an 8 month old son and can't help but think I've got all this to come, especially as he is now on the verge of crawling and is very accomplished at rolling around the floor already.

One of my nice acoustic guitars leans up against a sofa, with the open lounge door for protection so he can't reach it. He's figured that out already and has tried to put his sticky mitts on it!

Soldato
So we have a 7 month old son and we have just booked him into nursery for starting next year. One thing that occurred to me later was that once he starts school, how on Earth do parents who both work full time cope with all the school holidays, in terms of childcare whilst working?

Would be interested to hear your views / situations. My partner will go back 3 days a week once her maternity finishes up, and obviously school is a LONG way away yet, but it certainly got me thinking! Particularly with the summer hols...when they are too young to be left alone in the house etc.
You just fit your holidays around the school term. That's why (traditionally) you would have parents taking a last minute holiday before the first school year starts as they suddenly realise you cant just take one whenever you want anymore.
Honestly the biggest issue with school holidays is not taking the time off, its what to do with that time to keep them entertained and without destroying any bank account you may have remaining!

Caporegime
My 5 year old found a pen and a wall. That was immensely fun.. (When he was 2 lol)...

I spent 16 years training to be become a consultant paediatrician, finally got the certificate through from the Royal College, by the evening my daughter had added her own additions to it in biro. I've never bothered to get it replaced as it seems quite fitting to my profession!

Soldato
Our boy just turned two and FML, he is hyper (or perhaps we just don't have the energy). By comparison to any of our friends with girls though, he is a bundle of craziness. The house is in a constant state of warfare and the noise he creates... Ouch :D

We've another one on the way due April. I'm not sure what would be best, a girl (who might be a bit quieter), or a boy to hopefully try and match our 1st born... Either way, we're signed up for years of pain I'm sure :p

Soldato
My first lad is coming up to 2 and a half and what Tinders and RoboCod are saying is very familiar! He's so much fun when he's in a good mood but when he's on one it's so tough to keep him from melting down. They say teenagers have mood swings but it can't be much worse than this!

We've got a 7 week old who the toddler is great with but managing both of them is some challenge. I do love it but I'm away with work for a few days currently and can't say I'm too unhappy!

Soldato

child care is just nuts, we had ours full time at one point and it was over £1.6k per month. That’s more than my mortgage.

I cut back my work and went part time so I only work Friday to Sunday now. The baby is in nursery on Fridays which is around £400 per month which is much more manageable. My GF only has to look after her on her own for 2 days a week. More than that and she can’t really cope.

Back
Top Bottom