Next gen console issues / troubleshooting thread

Soldato
There's likely to be issues with the new consoles and TVs with this latest gen and I thought perhaps a dedicated thread on the topic might be a good idea to get issues communally looked at.

------------------------------------------------------------------

First up: 120FPS / VRR support

------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems that there's possible issues with the Samsung Q90T / Q95T sets and the net gen consoles. These pics aren't mine, but belongs to a fella I've chatted to about the TV in question.
I get my X soon and have the 95T, and will add my findings to this too.
Both SX and PS5 seeminly have bandwidth related issues on the HDMI 2.1 port.

EDIT: Solution
Firmware fix: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/model/QA55Q95TAWXXY/

GOSAoPQ.png

Symptoms: Ori and the will of the whisps running in HDR, 4k, 120FPS
NrptMy0.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
People with the C9 and CX panels need to make sure that they don't use VRR, as there is an unfixable hardware defect that washes out the blacks with it enabled.

Soldato
OP
People with the C9 and CX panels need to make sure that they don't use VRR, as there is an unfixable hardware defect that washes out the blacks with it enabled.

The fella sent me some more pics, and there are pics of his blacks being completely crushed too on the Q95T

Man of Honour
The fella sent me some more pics, and there are pics of his blacks being completely crushed too on the Q95T

On the C9/CX they get washed out (go grey) rather than being crushed. This can't be fixed via firmware.

So, how do you ensure you do not mistakenly enable / disable VRR when gaming then? Or is it a case of selecting Game mode which enables it on the LG CX?

PS5 doesn't support it, Series should be configurable in the dashboard settings like on the One X.

Soldato
Do you have any pics / vids of this? I know it's a hardware issue to do with the timing of pulses to the panel, but how bad / noticeable is it?

I think I'm right in saying there is not a single 4k120 VRR TV without issues? Sony goes blurry and Samsung is stuck at 4:2:0?

EDIT: I guess you could play with VRR off, so you might get tearing rather than the raised black / flickering issue. Obviously some games will be way off locked 120fps so might not be worth it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I haven't seen any issues on my 55CX with IGR/VRR on, although I've not been looking for any, and I plan to keep things that way!

Soldato
I am planning on picking up a 4K tv for the livingroom, but in the main I intend on playing xbox series x on 1440p / 120hz option on a 27inch monitor on my desk set up. If I need to drop to 4K 60/30 on the new TV then I'm not going to lose sleep as it will be mainly for single player games and there is no way 4K/120fps is an actual thing this generation!

Man of Honour
I can't comment on 120 being pointless, until I play gears at that rate. I'm sure it's not as pointless as you make it to be ... peasant ;)

What are you on about? 4K120 is pointless as the new consoles aren’t powerful enough to run any graphically decent game at that combination of resolution and frame rate. They will be running around 1440p120 so I won’t miss out on anything running them at that resolution.

Soldato
OP
What are you on about? 4K120 is pointless as the new consoles aren’t powerful enough to run any graphically decent game at that combination of resolution and frame rate. They will be running around 1440p120 so I won’t miss out on anything running them at that resolution.

Jeez mate, I'm making poking a bit of fun. You seem to be getting more and more ornery in your posting style as the years go on. Gears MP runs at dynamic resolution, so there I'm mistaken. It would be interesting to know whether the older TVs that can't handle the 120/4K bandwidth would cope?

An example of 120/4K is Ori. Yea, not a TV / system seller, but thats not the topic of conversation.

Edit: Edited the OP with a solution. Turns out its a VRR related issue on the series X

Last edited:
Soldato

There is a problem with that as Xbox Series X has directML Machine Learning upscaling that could be used in the future to improve fidelity of 1440p/120 games to 4k/120 output.

If your TV is limited to the 4k/60 output, you won't be able to see the benefits of console upscaling, as your TV will have to upscale the 1440p signal from the console.

Man of Honour
There is a problem with that as Xbox Series X has directML Machine Learning upscaling that could be used in the future to improve fidelity of 1440p/120 games to 4k/120 output.

If your TV is limited to the 4k/60 output, you won't be able to see the benefits of console upscaling, as your TV will have to upscale the 1440p signal from the console.

We'll see how that turns out as I am very pessimistic about the number of AAA games that will hit 4K120 being above 0 this generation, but of course it's great if it does work out as it benefits everyone. Yeah in that case I'll be missing out on the 4K aspect if games really do run at 4K120, but then I only paid £550 so I'm OK with that.

Soldato
This is the only crappy footage of the LG VRR issue I can find.

https://imgur.com/a/Rw2mmHS

But then again a lot of owners don't see it, anecdotally. Must only be noticeable in dark settings with the right content. Real shame as they're getting real affordable around Black Friday!

EDIT: here's a better one.

OK that would be unusable, what a shame.

Back
Top Bottom