• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Dumb and seemingly made of money. Still have no idea how a significant proportion of the OCUK population can afford to drop £1k on a video card.
Well I can afford to drop £1,000 on a graphics card and I would regard myself as an enthusiast and have been into computers for over 40yrs. But I will not do it because of the blatant scalping and profiteering of the greedy *******s who are unfortunately responsible for selling these graphics cards to the public. And as for the people who buy them........best not to go there!

Caporegime
Well I can afford to drop £1,000 on a graphics card and I would regard myself as an enthusiast and have been into computers for over 40yrs. But I will not do it because of the blatant scalping and profiteering of the greedy *******s who are unfortunately responsible for selling these graphics cards to the public. And as for the people who buy them........best not to go there!

Tbf you sounds like a really old miserable git like me and it's like seeing cans of Coke going for £1 now and you think WTF!??? Or a Marathon bar that's no bigger than a flacid penis for like 60p! No way on earth would you buy one at that!!! :D :p

Associate
Question is does one go for the 6800XT for 3440x1440 100hz or just go all out for the 6900XT add a bit of future proofing for a monitor upgrade?

With that said wait for the AMD Ref 6800/6900XT or hold fire for an AIB? Need a water block too so compatibility could be a problem?

Associate
With that said wait for the AMD Ref 6800/6900XT or hold fire for an AIB? Need a water block too so compatibility could be a problem?
EK got you covered for the water blocks already, seems they have blocks for the new Ryzen and Navi. I linked a video from TTL earlier

Soldato
Because they work for a living, did well at school ect so have well paid jobs and have earned the right to do so ?

or just know how to save - never underestimate the power of savings and the inability of the mindless masses not being able to do it.

In truth, even if you don't earn well - if you know you want a new GPU in 12 months, just save 19 pounds each week and you'll get that top of the range GPU :) Unfortunately most people have no idea how to save and would rather spend that 19 pounds on flat whites and avocados on toast

Associate
EK got you covered for the water blocks already, seems they have blocks for the new Ryzen and Navi. I linked a video from TTL earlier

Thanks yeah I watched it thanks for posting it, inspired me to pop a message up here. I guess AIB blocks soon follow but EK and other manufacturers might not support that specific card?

6800XT, the 6900XT not worth the extra and the 6800 will serve you well for quite a while :)

The 6800XT is a better buy but im also doing a 5900x - x570 upgrade wouldn't the 6900XT be better purchase as in make good use of the SAM and this CPU?

Soldato
Being at 1440p I am sort of wondering if there's even much need to go from 3700x to 5900x, and the Nvidia launch has kind of ****** me off, and I have a gsync screen. Would cost not far off the same to get a new 1440p screen that supports both freesync and gsync along with a new AMD card, rather than going Nvidia and a 5900x.

But picking up a Nvidia card is the least hassle. These launches have just confused me more. New GPU is the priority though

Caporegime
The 6800XT is a better buy but im also doing a 5900x - x570 upgrade wouldn't the 6900XT be better purchase as in make good use of the SAM and this CPU?

No because the 6800XT also doe the SAM/Rage stuff and the 6900XT has exactly the same amount of vRam and roughly 10% more performance. Your money dude, just make an informed choice :)

Soldato
Tbf you sounds like a really old miserable git like me and it's like seeing cans of Coke going for £1 now and you think WTF!??? Or a Marathon bar that's no bigger than a flacid penis for like 60p! No way on earth would you buy one at that!!! :D :p
Spot on mate, its definitely auld geezer syndrome LOL. £600-£1700 for graphics cards WTF! My first car was a Ford Cortina 1600GT in 1974 and cost me £50, just spent £10,000 on my current car, world's gone mad I reckon. Oh and its past my bedtime, where's my Horlicks?

Associate
Being at 1440p I am sort of wondering if there's even much need to go from 3700x to 5900x, and the Nvidia launch has kind of ****** me off, and I have a gsync screen. Would cost not far off the same to get a new 1440p screen that supports both freesync and gsync along with a new AMD card, rather than going Nvidia and a 5900x.

But picking up a Nvidia card is the least hassle. These launches have just confused me more. New GPU is the priority though

No not really 3700x is still a great chip.

Im coming from X470/3900X/5700XT and its a perfect rig.

Could have just upgraded the GPU but thought long and hard and looked at the resale value of a 3900x at around 350/360. So come Ryzen 5000 release day I attempted to bag one which I did successfully. So now got to follow through with my plan. Getting an X570 board and a new PCIe4.0 boot drive. :)

Caporegime
Question is does one go for the 6800XT for 3440x1440 100hz or just go all out for the 6900XT add a bit of future proofing for a monitor upgrade?

A 6900XT for £1000 is still WAY better value than a 3090 for £1700, but they are both objectively bad value when compared to their 6800XT / 3080 siblings that provide 85-90% of the performance for much less cost. IF I was going to buy one though a 6900XT would be the clear choice as it's still (shockingly) 35% cheaper than a 3090. I mean seriously, wtf. :eek:

The 3090 just has to be highlighted as an absolute abortion of a card for people whom common sense went completely out the window and they now follow the law of e-peen purchasing.

2020 will certainly be remembered and not very fondly. If anyone ever wants to replicate the feeling of 2020, stick your head in the toilet and flush and do this several times a day for a year.

I'm not surprised if some of the very limited stock goes missing along the way. Perhaps an underpaid worker who gets a rare chance to lighten an otherwise horrible existence. I mean the 3080/3090 sells for serious money 2nd hand.

Yup, I can't remember more pitiful launches than this. The funny thing is that if they were just open about it and blamed it on the pandemic, instead of engaging in lies and misdirection, then I would find it harder to swallow.

Still doesn't make what OcUk does is right.

If the people are dumb then OcUK shouldn't take advantage of it eh? They're taking advantage of some people's desperation.

OCUK are a business, they are not your friend, and they engage in cutthroat supply and demand practises. If you don't like it, buy elsewhere.

The only truly good thing about OCUK, in the dictionary definition of the word, is that they provide this forum since many years, that we all enjoy, and they deserve credit for that.

Dumb and seemingly made of money. Still have no idea how a significant proportion of the OCUK population can afford to drop £1k on a video card.
1k is easily saved if you have a job and not too much in the way of outgoings... a lot of the people who buy one probably either live with their parents or are in their late 20's 30's and 40's and beyond with high disposable income. The UK isn't a third world country. Plus, lockdown has cut everyone's outgoing that they may otherwise be spending on booze etc.

Being at 1440p I am sort of wondering if there's even much need to go from 3700x to 5900x
Just check the reviews? On average it's a Zen2 + 25% more juice. :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
The only truly good thing about OCUK, in the dictionary definition of the word, is that they provide this forum since many years, that we all enjoy, and they deserve credit for that.

Whilst I also enjoy this forum, it's obviously made available for free for business reasons (nothing to do with goodness), in that this forum is a brilliant marketing and promotion tool.

Associate

Unfortunately that's the going rate these days. Your huffing won't change that.

From my perspective, yes things have got much more expensive as I've got older but my earnings have also vastly increased (as have my outgoings :o)

However I do get a bit bitter about prices inflating due to demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom