• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Dumb and seemingly made of money. Still have no idea how a significant proportion of the OCUK population can afford to drop £1k on a video card.
Being a tech enthusiast forum, most of us have good jobs that let's us buy nice things.

Caporegime
Whilst I also enjoy this forum, it's obviously made available for free for business reasons (nothing to do with goodness), in that this forum is a brilliant marketing and promotion tool.
Who cares why it's free, does that mean we shouldn't be grateful or appreciate it?

There is absolutely zero obligation to buy anything from OCUK if you use these forums... that is 100% a personal choice. :)

Permabanned
Spot on mate, its definitely auld geezer syndrome LOL. £600-£1700 for graphics cards WTF! My first car was a Ford Cortina 1600GT in 1974 and cost me £50, just spent £10,000 on my current car, world's gone mad I reckon. Oh and its past my bedtime, where's my Horlicks?
No it’s not old man syndrome I’m only 33 and I wince at the prices some people are charging these days.

Had an alert for a 3080 on the rainforest l.... £1200:confused:. No doubt some wiener will buy it.

Associate
Dumb and seemingly made of money. Still have no idea how a significant proportion of the OCUK population can afford to drop £1k on a video card.
I have to ways for you to think of this.

Imagine every day you use your PC you put £1 to one side for replacing it. So rather than being a big, one off cost you have an ever building pile of cash in a savings account. If you upgrade carefully over time, that's a decent machine.

Alternate, the way I do it. The wife and I allow ourselves £100/month spending money, that we can do with what we want. Half of mine goes straight into savings. Over time I've built enough up so that I can buy any machine I want. If I wanted it enough.

Either way doesn't take a huge amount of money, only an ability to not spend.

Associate
Logically PC expenditure is nuts, you can do pretty much everything the majority of people use a PC for on a console and cheap tablet which costs massively less

However the key point is it's a hobby, no different from tuning your car, applying vinyl wraps, buying go faster stripes etc etc, the value isn't in the components parts but the satisfaction derived from it

Soldato
They dont want to admit it and its probably a business decision. If you tell customers we only had 20 then its unlikely you would shop there again for the next release due to low numbers. The fact is everyone had low numbers so no one wants to brag about it. I think we all know full well now the numbers were small like in 00's.

I can remember the days when Gibbo announces he has enough stock for a launch as ordered 10,000 units yet in his recent posts a large amount is like 300. Like he said in his big post in the update thread the distribution for GPU's seems abysmal as you have to deal with loads of different points unlike CPU's when they generally come from one place.

What alarmed me was the fact to admitting he knows that a lot of stock goes missing along the way at one of the many drop off points and nothing they can do about it !
can you link the post that Gibbo wrote?

Soldato
Question is does one go for the 6800XT for 3440x1440 100hz or just go all out for the 6900XT add a bit of future proofing for a monitor upgrade?

6800XT is a good sweet spot.

I have few doubts that a mild refresh with far superior ray tracing performance will be along sooner rather than later.

Caporegime
Actually, a competitor to overclockers.co.uk located here in Denmark put out numbers for how many rtx 3000 series GPU's shipped to customers, how many ordered from manufacturers, how many orders waiting to receive units, etc etc, and when you look at the total amount of units shipped to customers ain't pretty.

Best estimate I have seen is that there was 5,000 3080 cards ready with retailers on launch day worldwide. Thats pretty appalling low numbers.

Soldato
AMD definitely need to get some flack for pulling this crap and only dropping the embargos on launch day... it's really lacking in transparency and not consumer friendly.
It is questionable but on then other hand I have no sympathy for the impatient consumerists. In fact I find the whole drama revolving around launches very amusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom