Vietnam f1 dropped from 2021 calendar

Soldato
Because it was yet another shady deal being done in a country with zero motorsport interest that will die out in ~3-5 years time (eg. India, Korea etc), with government money being spent on the lavish facilities when 25% of the population live in poverty. With regard to actual track, it was yet another street circuit where the cars cannot race and would have been a procession - even if they did magically fix the current aero wake issues overnight. Finally, 19+ races a year is too many so knocking one off that is going in the right direction.

Soldato
Because it was yet another shady deal being done in a country with zero motorsport interest that will die out in ~3-5 years time (eg. India, Korea etc), with government money being spent on the lavish facilities when 25% of the population live in poverty. With regard to the actual track, it was yet another street circuit where the cars cannot race and would have been a procession - even if they did magically fix the current aero wake issues overnight. Finally, 19+ races a year is too many so knocking one-off that is going in the right direction.

Looks like the FIA are still looking at 23 races regardless of Vietnam being on the calendar or not.

Associate
Perhaps they're looking at the popularity of the classic tracks used this year with both fans and drivers and are considering other historic tracks?

I could see them trying to find another US track. I don't think any other than COTA are FIA grade 1, but there's several that could feasibly be upgraded with some changes to be F1 suitable.

Soldato
Perhaps they're looking at the popularity of the classic tracks used this year with both fans and drivers and are considering other historic tracks?

I could see them trying to find another US track. I don't think any other than COTA are FIA grade 1, but there's several that could feasibly be upgraded with some changes to be F1 suitable.

I like this idea that Chain Bear F1 mentions:

Soldato
I thought Imola was pretty good. Perhaps an adjustment to the DRS activation point would have made it better. It seems quite unfair that circuits have gone to lengths to keep the show going in 2020, only to be dropped in 2021.

Soldato
I could see them trying to find another US track.

How about Chile and the Parque O'Higgins? How did that fare in Formula E? But with motorsport so popular in Scandinavia, perhaps the Kymi Ring is a better choice.

19+ races a year is too many so knocking one off that is going in the right direction.

I really would like to see a season of one every weekend with a couple of breaks. Perhaps three 'terms' of 8 - 10 weekend races separated by 3 week holidays. That's 24-30 races in 8-9 months.

Associate
How about Chile and the Parque O'Higgins? How did that fare in Formula E? But with motorsport so popular in Scandinavia, perhaps the Kymi Ring is a better choice.

That a grade 3 circuit currently, while there are not absolutely strict criteria for each grade given by the FIA, grade 3 suggests a lot of work would be needed to get it to grade 1 / F1 standard!

Associate
I think circuit length is one of the factors for grading, they take into account everything from safety aspects to accessibility for the public to hospitality facilities etc. If Monaco did not have the historic element to it, it probably wouldn't get FIA Grade 1 if assessed today as a new circuit.

Man of Honour
There's been talk of going back to Indianapolis although I think that was in place of COTA rather than an addition.
I almost think we need to give up on the USA; I can't blame the public for not being that bothered about F1; most Indy Car races have far more excitement and passing.

Back
Top Bottom