*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
I am another one struggling to cast..... I have an android phone, it's a Nokia 7.1 so is a bloat free build so should be ok.

Both quest and phone are on same WiFi network hmmmm just occurs to me maybe 1 device is on 5ghz and one on 2.5. Could this be an issue? My phone sees the quest connected but just does not cast

Thanks for any thoughts

Soldato
I am another one struggling to cast..... I have an android phone, it's a Nokia 7.1 so is a bloat free build so should be ok.

Both quest and phone are on same WiFi network hmmmm just occurs to me maybe 1 device is on 5ghz and one on 2.5. Could this be an issue? My phone sees the quest connected but just does not cast

Thanks for any thoughts

Both Phone and Quest need to be on the same network I believe.

I've always had trouble casting, even to a phone - the video was intermittently jerky. Also I never got a chomecast to work either.

Soldato
How good is eleven table tennis :D

after a good 30mins+ you get so engrossed you have to be careful not to lean on the table to catch the shots lol

Reminds me of when I was playing Euro Truck Simulator in VR, driving on a motorway and I went to lean my elbow on the window sill as I do in real life and finding myself suddenly lurching sideways. Or playing a shooting game and kneeling behind cover then trying to grab onto the barrier to help myself stand up, and of course it's not there...

Associate
Reminds me of when I was playing Euro Truck Simulator in VR, driving on a motorway and I went to lean my elbow on the window sill as I do in real life and finding myself suddenly lurching sideways. Or playing a shooting game and kneeling behind cover then trying to grab onto the barrier to help myself stand up, and of course it's not there...
The atonomous interactive physical environment mat comes as part of the quest3. Builds the physical environment in your immediate vacinity around you in real time...using automated lego bricks constructs that rise out of the mat.

Soldato
Sorry to drop in without much previous research. I recently got back into Elite Dangerous, and my daughter had a go on beat sabre on a PSVR at a friend's house and enjoyed it, so I was thinking of getting a Quest 2 as it's dirt cheap.

Questions:

1. I had a Rift CV1 which had a fairly noticeable SDE and god rays (a real pain in elite), but was great otherwise. How does the Quest 2 compare to the Rift CV1 in those aspects, and how does the tracking compare (inside out vs the CV1s outside in)?

I would expect to use it primarily wired to my PC, but would do some light roomscale gaming with family.

2. Is this good enough to watch media on or is it still not quite there yet (appreciate the G2 would likely be the better option here)?

Soldato
1. I had a Rift CV1 which had a fairly noticeable SDE and god rays (a real pain in elite), but was great otherwise. How does the Quest 2 compare to the Rift CV1 in those aspects, and how does the tracking compare (inside out vs the CV1s outside in)?

Image quality is far, far, far better than the Rift. God rays are better, but not gone. (Though some people claim some Quest 2 units have worse lenses).

Tracking is about 80% as good as the Rift CV1 for hand controllers in most normal gameplay. Yes you can get it to lose tracking, but for the most part it works amazingly well. For seated experiences where you're not using the controllers there's no tracking difference.

2. Is this good enough to watch media on or is it still not quite there yet (appreciate the G2 would likely be the better option here)?

Absolutely. No wires means you can use it in bed, plus the image quality is excellent, with nearly no SDE. Full resolution (1080p per eye) 3D movies look amazing.

Soldato

lol

I was sat in bed watching a film in bigscreen. Totally forgot I was sat right on the edge, and put my hand down to grab the controller!

Nothing beats smacking the window sill though whilst playing beat saber

Soldato
So, what's the best way to relax socially with someone else (not local).

Can i get big screen to stream my content to them? Can we watch prime together etc? Any relaxing games? I'm thinking vr fishing may be an option.

Basically my 80 year old dad has bought a quest2 and I'd love to be able to just sit with him doing something simple together. Seated would be far better than standing.

Soldato
So, what's the best way to relax socially with someone else (not local).

Can i get big screen to stream my content to them? Can we watch prime together etc? Any relaxing games? I'm thinking vr fishing may be an option.

Basically my 80 year old dad has bought a quest2 and I'd love to be able to just sit with him doing something simple together. Seated would be far better than standing.

BigScreen with the living room environment would be pretty good. You need the steam client and BigScreen server streaming your desktop. You then create a room and connect your PC to it.

It's really laggy though.

Soldato
Image quality is far, far, far better than the Rift. God rays are better, but not gone. (Though some people claim some Quest 2 units have worse lenses).

Tracking is about 80% as good as the Rift CV1 for hand controllers in most normal gameplay. Yes you can get it to lose tracking, but for the most part it works amazingly well. For seated experiences where you're not using the controllers there's no tracking difference.

Absolutely. No wires means you can use it in bed, plus the image quality is excellent, with nearly no SDE. Full resolution (1080p per eye) 3D movies look amazing.

"nearly no SDE" is the thing I'm interested in. Thanks that's helpful. Can't go wrong for £300 (plus £100 for strap, cable and foam replacement natch)

Soldato
"nearly no SDE" is the thing I'm interested in. Thanks that's helpful. Can't go wrong for £300 (plus £100 for strap, cable and foam replacement natch)

Movies do look good on the Quest 2.

As for the Tracking, for me it's been fine. I haven't once thought to myself, this could be great if the tracking was better.

I expected to use mine primarily wired to the PC, but, I don't. I use it mostly wirelessly. Once you play for a couple of weeks without the wires, it's extremely hard to go back. And this is coming from a person who had the cables for the Civ1 and Rift S suspended from the ceiling.

Soldato
Quest 2 is my first VR headset. I had to read up on SDE, because I had absolutely no idea what people were on about. I still don't fully understand what it would be like :p

Soldato
I've been tempted with a VR headset for so long, but finally picked this up as £300 finally seems like a good entry level price. I'm so impressed so far, what an amazing piece of kit for the money. Tried a few games using virtual desktop as well, and while I probably need a bit of an upgrade for a great experience its still not bad.

Only issue I've really noticed so far is only things directly in front of me look crisp, stuff off centre has a bit of a blur, is that normal? Not that its really noticeable when playing a game anyway. I think I'm also at the point in my life where I may need glasses, so that's probably not helping when focussing on something close up.

Soldato
I've been tempted with a VR headset for so long, but finally picked this up as £300 finally seems like a good entry level price. I'm so impressed so far, what an amazing piece of kit for the money. Tried a few games using virtual desktop as well, and while I probably need a bit of an upgrade for a great experience its still not bad.

Only issue I've really noticed so far is only things directly in front of me look crisp, stuff off centre has a bit of a blur, is that normal? Not that its really noticeable when playing a game anyway. I think I'm also at the point in my life where I may need glasses, so that's probably not helping when focussing on something close up.

VR is awesome :) Glad you are enjoying the journey!!

As for Stuff off Centre been blurrier, depends on how bad it is. It should be a little blurrier as that's the way foveated rendering works.

Or you might just need glasses like you said, :p

Soldato

Yeah, that's normal. It's down to the type of lenses that VR headsets use. They provide great focus, but only within a small area.

Back
Top Bottom