recommendations for a lightweight tripod (and maybe new head) for high end property photography

Soldato
Hi all, so i've been somewhat lucky to be able to transition from weddings into properties over the last few months but this means that i'm using (and carrying around london) my heavy 055xPROb legs and 804RC2 head almost every day and i've really started to hanker after something lighter. So i'm thinking carbon fibre?

I'm happy with the overall performance of the tripod legs and generally prefer the idea of the catch release legs than the twisty screwy ones, although it's not a deal breaker.

I'm happy with the overall performance of the tripod head as well. Sometimes though i feel like i've tightened enough only for some slippage, which is annoying at times. Also, it may be quite convenient to have a head with shorter handles to enable me to have it fully setup in the tripod bag, rather than having to take out and screw the handles in every time i use it.

I have tried googling this of course but there are just SO many options that get thrown up that it's all a bit overwhelming really...hence coming on there to look for some slightly more personal suggestions :)

One option at the moment may be to get new legs but keep the head, so they'd need to be compatible..

Associate
What's your budget?

For architecture I prefer geared or 3 way heads.

The ideal setup for me would be a Gitzo 2-series and an Arca Swiss D4 geared head, but that's going to be a 1.5K setup before you get into plates and L brackets.

A more budget setup would be a Benro GD3WH for the head and then whatever set of CF legs fits the budget.

Soldato
OP
What's your budget?

For architecture I prefer geared or 3 way heads.

The ideal setup for me would be a Gitzo 2-series and an Arca Swiss D4 geared head, but that's going to be a 1.5K setup before you get into plates and L brackets.

A more budget setup would be a Benro GD3WH for the head and then whatever set of CF legs fits the budget.

Thanks - to be honest, as good as those look, 1.5k is way beyond my budget at the moment. I'd not heard of that Benro head - looks interesting, and i'm far more used to non-ball heads.

I'm actually finding it difficult to find many CF tripod legs that don't come bundled with a ball head as standard though!

Associate
Adding to the comment above,

the Gitzos are great wex sometimes has good deals. I use the GT3543XL. Its tall great when needing support in uneven space like stairs etc.
Geared heads are the only way forward for me it is a night and day difference when framing a shot.

The cheapest geared heads from benro and manfrotto are fine but don't tend to last, come loose but are light and a good place to start.

Ebay is good for tripod legs in cf but gitzo does keep its value. Though if you buy new will last a very long time.

Back
Top Bottom