• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Apple M1 CPU

Associate
I have to say that I am very disappointed. I have been holding out for a new macbook pro as I do a fair amount of iOS development so I have a nice PC desktop and then a Macbook as my laptop of choice. Currently rocking a retina one from 2015 which is still serving me well. When I bought it I maxed the RAM to 16gb and that is what has kept it performing well. I don't really have anywhere to go now until they decide to put a 32gb machine out. What a joke.

Soldato
iOS development. It's why I bought my first MacBook...
Different now that they are moving to arm architecture but while they used intel you can use power shell to load iOS without needing mac hardware.

anyway, interesting to see how many programmes start to develop mac versions again.

Don
anyway, interesting to see how many programmes start to develop mac versions again.

Doubtful that it'll encourage true mac versions - more likely it will open the door for "up-scaled" versions of current ios phone apps.

Ironically it's almost the very path that Microsoft tried to introduce with the windows store and UWP apps, that has failed spectacularly on Windows :)

Man of Honour
I have to say that I am very disappointed. I have been holding out for a new macbook pro as I do a fair amount of iOS development so I have a nice PC desktop and then a Macbook as my laptop of choice. Currently rocking a retina one from 2015 which is still serving me well. When I bought it I maxed the RAM to 16gb and that is what has kept it performing well. I don't really have anywhere to go now until they decide to put a 32gb machine out. What a joke.
You can still get a 16” with 32GB, and I bet when that gets the M* CPU you’ll be able to spec the same if not more.

Soldato
Doubtful that it'll encourage true mac versions - more likely it will open the door for "up-scaled" versions of current ios phone apps.

Ironically it's almost the very path that Microsoft tried to introduce with the windows store and UWP apps, that has failed spectacularly on Windows :)
I think so too. Many programmes don’t have resources to build their programmes up from the ground on two architectures. The native Apple programmes will remain compatible cos they will have a big following and revenue from that ecosystem and possibly their only revenue. Where programmes are on Mac and Windows only the big ones will have the capabilities so they may do some kind of native support or back porting.

but the list of usable programme will definitely shrink for now.

Associate
What do you use the 13” pro for that other laptops can’t fulfill.

I am always asking the same questions to mac users, what is it that you need from mac specifically that you think you can’t get from windows based laptops or PCs.

It’s an odd one. No one can give a very satisfactory answers. All it really boils down to is they REALLY like the logo.
I don't personally like the OS on my MacBook, but I do use it occasionally. The laptop was my wife's for graphic design. The OS level display scaling and colour management is way better on MacOS Vs Windows. You can get things done in Windows but every app has its own colour management profiles and it's a bit of a mess. Heaven forbid on windows if you run and older all that cannot handle high dpi displays. However my frustration with Mac is lack of upgradability when they are 'designed' for heavier use.

Soldato
I don't personally like the OS on my MacBook, but I do use it occasionally. The laptop was my wife's for graphic design. The OS level display scaling and colour management is way better on MacOS Vs Windows. You can get things done in Windows but every app has its own colour management profiles and it's a bit of a mess. Heaven forbid on windows if you run and older all that cannot handle high dpi displays. However my frustration with Mac is lack of upgradability when they are 'designed' for heavier use.
i understand colour critical work there probably isnt anything close to what Mac can offer in the laptop space. but my view on the subject is that you shouldnt be doing colour critical work on a 13inch display for a prolonged period of time anyways. I do photo and video editing myself as a hobby. doing stuff on laptops makes me go "ARGGG". which is why i invest in a proper wide garmut, hardware calibratable monitor - this then do away with all the colour manage issues from windows.

anyway i can understand if someone needs portability and needs that colour management.

Soldato

Agree.
Given their pathway, it'll almost make things 'simpler' by not as feature packed.
I can send low end macs being nothing more than glorified tablets, which might frankly be suitable for the vast majority of use cases.
Unless Apple manage to get ARM to make a very good chip for the higher end, I don't see actual MACs being very useful for production at all for a generation or two.

Associate
Apple have stated that they are transitioning all Macs to ARM over a roughly two year period.
So there will be much more powerful versions with much more RAM later on.
It makes sense to address the basic users first and for that 16GB is fine.
For a lot of people even these will be an excellent upgrade.
Amazing battery life, fanless in the Air model, good performance for bread and butter tasks.
The base line price is a joke though as by time you double the memory and storage to a reasonable level the price jumps dramatically.

Associate
Unless Apple manage to get ARM to make a very good chip for the higher end, I don't see actual MACs being very useful for production at all for a generation or two.

Apple make the chips themselves, not ARM.
ARM in fact don't make any chips. They license instruction sets and chip designs. Companies like Samsung (exynos), Qualcomm (Snapdragon) and now Apple make their own chips using some or all of these pieces.

The procesors in iPads and iPhones have been getting very good. I wouldn't write off the performance of these just yet. Wait for the benchmarks, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were competitive with intel.

Soldato
By the time Apple has transitioned over in two years,we would be on 5NM/3NM Zen4 and maybe Zen5. Intel only looks bad now because of their node problems which have pushed back their newer core designs.

Plus Apple is comparing the M1 to older generation Intel CPUs using LPDDR3,instead of better LPDDR4.

You can get an 8C/16T Renoir for much less money,which will last you for years,and AMD is now transitioning to Zen3 based APUs in the next 6 months. You also have the choice of running different OSes too. The Macbooks are not even ruggedised laptops either,so you are paying a big premium for a quad core laptop.

Back
Top Bottom