*** Apple event 10th November @ 6pm - One More Thing: Apple Silicon Macs Reveal ***

Caporegime
There are gamers using Apple laptops with integrated GPUs? Personally if I want to play a game, a PS5 on my 55" LG OLED is where it will happen, not a 13" laptop.

Question - won't all this neural machine learning malarkey act similarly to nVidia DLSS that you get on PCs? i.e. you could potentially run a game at 720p60 resolution on M1 and it will do its calculations and you will get a 4K-looking game on your TV?

And I also totally forgot about nVidia GeForce Now. I could easily run all of my Steam games via that cloud service if I moved over. Just need them to make an ARM client of course.

Permabanned
The geek in me wants a 16Gb machine but it will be a sofa work laptop as I dont have one at the moment. I have my PC workstation for all heavy lifting so will just be for emails and browsing for catching up with stuff on a night or weekend.

Long time since I have had an 8Gb machine, surely it will be fine with the new M1? I wont have to pay the VAT through my business plus a 5% discount means I will pay £783 which seems mighty tempting for the base air on the new chip!

Caporegime
The geek in me wants a 16Gb machine but it will be a sofa work laptop as I dont have one at the moment. I have my PC workstation for all heavy lifting so will just be for emails and browsing for catching up with stuff on a night or weekend.

Long time since I have had an 8Gb machine, surely it will be fine with the new M1? I wont have to pay the VAT through my business plus a 5% discount means I will pay £783 which seems mighty tempting for the base air on the new chip!

I'm also wondering whether 8GB is enough for a few years, especially as it's nonupgradeable and unified with the GPU. But this is a whole new set up without any legacy x86 trash bloating RAM usage. So it could work as well with 8GB as an iPad does with 2GB. I'm waiting to see these things in the wild with some real testing before I jump in.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I think 8GB is going to be fine, unless you load up some memory intensive apps. Even Lightroom CC is buttery smooth on the iPad Pro with 6GB.

For me I don't want to invest anymore money than I have to for this 1st gen, I just want a performant device running Apple silicon. There will be some tasty redesigns coming in the next few years where it will make sense to spec up.

Caporegime
I think 8GB is going to be fine, unless you load up some memory intensive apps. Even Lightroom CC is buttery smooth on the iPad Pro with 6GB.

Is the iPad Pro using its solid state storage as virtual memory? Could be one of the benefits for the hardware and software integration.

Commissario
For what I use my MacBook for, I haven't noticed that 8Gb is a limitation.

Still went for 16Gb on the new Air though because if I keep it, I'll have it for four to five years.

Associate
Ooff. Woke up witha new game plan today.

Cancelled my order of the base MBA, and went through the education store instead. Not sure why I didn't do that in the first place! Too excitable...

BUT have also placed an order for a 16GB MBP... it will arrive a week later, so I will have time to cancel that if I decide the MBA won't be sufficient after using and reviews come out.

Permabanned
I'm also wondering whether 8GB is enough for a few years, especially as it's nonupgradeable and unified with the GPU. But this is a whole new set up without any legacy x86 trash bloating RAM usage. So it could work as well with 8GB as an iPad does with 2GB. I'm waiting to see these things in the wild with some real testing before I jump in.

I feel the same but I am not desperate for one so will wait for reviews next week.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Is the iPad Pro using its solid state storage as virtual memory? Could be one of the benefits for the hardware and software integration.

I'm not clued up on the architecture to know. They did say in the event that the SSD speeds have gone up quite a bit, so this could mean swapping is almost seamless.

For what I use my MacBook for, I haven't noticed that 8Gb is a limitation.

Still went for 16Gb on the new Air though because if I keep it, I'll have it for four to five years.

I originally went 16GB with the plan to keep it longer term, but as soon as the redesigns start to come I know I'll be picking up one.

Soldato
OP
Looks like M1 has a 2x GPU of A14. That means Geekbench Metal score of ~30,000, roughly as fast as the Radeon 5500M (the same dedicated GPU in the 16-inch MBP).

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

M1's 8 vs A14's 4 GPU cores, assuming they're the same architecture (fair) and run at the same clocks (conservative). The rest is extrapolation from the Geekbench browser.

People really need to stop using Geekbench in 2020. Its so **** as a benchmark and not an accurate representation at all

Back
Top Bottom