Standard size AA rechargeable batteries, that fit ok in Logitech mouse.

Soldato
For many years I've been using Uniross rechargeable AA Hybrio batteries, the last few years Uniross has changed the size, made these batteries longer then standard AA alkaline by about 1-2mm.

I use these batteries in a Logitech MX 610, the problem is the longer batteries barely fit in the MX 610. Uniross Hybrio also have problems in some of my wall clocks, so the larger physical size is not just effecting this Logitech mouse.

Has anyone found a higher capacity, preferably low discharge battery, but maintains the size of a standard AA alkaline battery, that fits in the Logitech mice as normal.

Soldato
OP
Would they have been Sony Eneloops? If so there larger then standard AA.

Don't think filing the end will work, as these higher capacity AA rechargeable are wider also.

As said just trying to find a normal size rechargeable AA, that's still good capacity.

Associate
Would they have been Sony Eneloops? If so there larger then standard AA.

Don't think filing the end will work, as these higher capacity AA rechargeable are wider also.

As said just trying to find a normal size rechargeable AA, that's still good capacity.

I forget what they were, as i said i had them a long time ago. I remember them being green and black, that's about it. I should also add that I pucked up a pack recently (totally forgot) from a little discounted Germanic retailer ;) , for my sons mouse, and they were bog standard AA size. Although not the highest capacity, there was a pack of 10 so you could easily use a set and have spares on charge :)

Soldato
OP
Soldato
Mattyfez, I've worked out the issue with the newer Uniross batteries, it's not so much there longer, but the new Uniross AA's are fatter, as in the diameter is more.

Could you take one of those Extream AA's and look at it next to a normal alkaline AA?

Ok so I was curious as I have 3 sets of AA betteries in rotation, some 'extreme ones and 2 differnet types of Duracell ones.

One type of duracell and the extreme ones, seem to have the fatter bodies.

One type of duracell is skinnier, very slightly, but ive not measured it, just eye-balled it. which is the middle one in the pic:
'precharged'
aa/hr6 2500mah NiMH
1.2v

serial numbers on it are:
and
9078D01100

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4UafYVVebAza18pi6

I might be wrong though as the middle one is a darker colour and might just look thinner...

Last edited:
Soldato
The difference in my bateries is not that big, a very obvious size difference in your pic.. you'd think AA, AAA etc. would have very strict dimensional standards...

Soldato
OP
There is a standard for AA, however there is still quite a high tolerance. I have to presume that Uniross has gone to the upper limit of this size standard. It's a shame as have used Uniross batteries for over 30 years, the batteries work great, however can't continue buying their AA size any more.

I use some old Logitech MX 610 (left handed) mice, and the new larger AA get jammed in, also wall clocks they jam in and you need a pen or screwdriver to get them back out.

Permabanned
Before I had my G903 which charges from the mouse pad or USB lead (it has built in battery so once dead its break open job) I used them in all my Logitech mice that had swappable AA's.

I know what you mean though some mice AA batteries past were little different in size and I think this was to bend you over to buy there own batteries once originals were dead.

Eneloop are supposedly the best rechargeable's you can get esp for holding a charge for a very long time if not used and coming fully charged not that makes a big deal.

Soldato
Is it Logitec using the smallest battery compartment possible then? Do AA and AAA have proper specs, like ATX, mATX, CAT5, CAT6 etc?

Strange comparison I guess, but you don't have issues with bios batteries, any old 3032 will do the job as the sockets are spring loaded for contact.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I just measured one for you (it still had charge in it after years sitting in a drawer as it got hot due to the metal jaws shorting it here:

IMG-20201111-185538247.jpg

IMG-20201111-185610294.jpg

Permabanned
I am going a walk, on return I will measure the width and same again on a normal Duracell AA, OK for you?

The issue is I need find a dud (I tend to bin them right away) as it will short out on the jaws.

I can add little plastic as insulator then zero the scale, will not be 100% same conditions as above but near it.

Associate
Fwiw, the LADDA batteries from IKEA are fabulous. I have loads of them. Allegedly, they are re-badged eneloops. 2450mAh. Made in Japan. I have had no size issues in anything.
At £5.50 for 4, they are priced well.

Back
Top Bottom