Does BT use same connections as Virgin Media?

Soldato
Thinking of switching, but am unsure if BT use the same connections coming into the house as Virgin, who I'm with currently? Does anyone know this? I'm talking of the cable that comes from the street into the house, and the one I have going into the back of my Virgin Hub and the set top box. I have mine running through a wall and under carpet so if it requires an entirely new cable, I'd be a bit stuck.

Soldato
No Virgin's network and backbone are completely separate to BT/Openreach. They don't use the same cable to your house etc.

So the Virgin coax cable would be redundant once you switch to BT... Where's your BT socket in the house, in relation to where you need it?

You could run a longer phone cable from the BT socket, or have the router where the socket is and run an ethernet cable instead to your PC.

Soldato
Thinking of switching, but am unsure if BT use the same connections coming into the house as Virgin, who I'm with currently? Does anyone know this? I'm talking of the cable that comes from the street into the house, and the one I have going into the back of my Virgin Hub and the set top box. I have mine running through a wall and under carpet so if it requires an entirely new cable, I'd be a bit stuck.

No, but the Openreach engineer who installs your BT line will put the box anywhere you want (within reason). So if you want it right next to your existing Virgin box, that's where they'll put it.

Soldato
The COVID restrictions are more to do with who can be around the engineer when (s)he does the install. They phone you up and confirm where you want it and then talk you through the things you have to do for mutual safety.

Soldato
OP
The cable comes in from the street into the garage, and there's another cable going into the house downstairs where the router is. There's another cable upstairs where the TV box is connected to. We have a phone socket upstairs, but not downstairs.

Wondering if the BT solution will even work.

Soldato
No, but the Openreach engineer who installs your BT line will put the box anywhere you want (within reason). So if you want it right next to your existing Virgin box, that's where they'll put it.

Or they'll probably just re-activate the existing BT socket he likely has in the house, then say no need for an engineer lol

Back
Top Bottom