• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN 5000 SERIES NOW ONLINE - 5950X, 5900X, 5800X & 5600X COMING NOV 5TH AT 5PM **NO COMPETITORS**

Associate
I just canceled my order for 5900 and decided not to switch from mac to PC as if what apple said about M1 is true Intel and AMD are in big trouble. I'm using my machine for development and until now Docker was a big pain running due to its volumes mapping. ARM based systems are not having this problem and M1 matching the performance of 5900 and 5950 and being much cheaper is a game changer

It doesn't match their performance, go back and look at what they actually said, it matches the performance per watt (presumably of an outdated Intel chip), that's great news if you're after efficiency but much less so in raw performance. Your reaction is exactly what Apple wanted though.

There are other issues to consider, once Apple moves over to ARM they truly become a closed platform, which is fine if you have modest needs or your main tools are supported but if you intend to do anything like game, run Windows apps etc you've got a problem.

Associate
Major US retailers now informing pre order customers they aren;t expecting any more stock until March 2021! :eek:

Not sure if it's the same retailer, but the updates I've seen this morning show them informing some customers their backorder won't be fulfilled until March. Others are receiving the same email saying 21st December. I don't think it's a case of no more stock until 2021, just not enough to cover the whole pre-order queue.

Associate
The only big advantage of ARM CPUs is power efficiency. Not actual raw speed. And nowhere Apple claim these new ARM ones will be faster. All they say is that they will be perf/W king - and that's fine, mobile CPUs already are. But that aside, they're WAY behind top Intel/AMD CPUs with raw performance. They instead use mobile approach to clocking down and switching between BIG/small cores to keep power usage to minimum. Quieter computers, less heat, much longer battery life. But definitely not more raw speed, not even close.

So, depending of your use case, you might be very disappointed with M1. Raw performance is not what Apple want nor aim at, it's portability, silence and battery life with still good enough performance in Apple software.

I'm not quite sure about raw speed not being there according to https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu-apple_m1-1804 it is but can we trust this website. It will be clear when M1 is benchmarked by credible sources.

Yes one of the big stoppers for me having a custom build PC is the amount of fans it has and the noise these will do. If I tiny computer that is consuming 30W altogether is going to much the performance of a noisy beast with 750W power supply, I'm definitely going for the small one

It doesn't match their performance, go back and look at what they actually said, it matches the performance per watt (presumably of an outdated Intel chip), that's great news if you're after efficiency but much less so in raw performance. Your reaction is exactly what Apple wanted though.

There are other issues to consider, once Apple moves over to ARM they truly become a closed platform, which is fine if you have modest needs or your main tools are supported but if you intend to do anything like game, run Windows apps etc you've got a problem.

That is so true, it is a closed platform, but as I'm not a hardware enthusiast but rather into software if they give me lots of performance on a reasonable price I will get it. My gamers days are long over.

Caporegime
Wow, March 2021?

Where is all the 7nm production capacity going? They're sold out of all the consoles, all the GPUs, all the CPUs... Crazy.

e: I have a full system rebuild to do.. there really isn't much point in starting it, tbh. Won't be able to get a CPU, won't be able to get a GPU... and without either it's a bust :p

Associate
There does seem to be information from other shops that implies that deliveries are running late / are short of what was expected. One site was listing arrivals this week and now changed the date to 26th for some chips and 12th December for 5800Xs.

Associate
That is so true, it is a closed platform, but as I'm not a hardware enthusiast but rather into software if they give me lots of performance on a reasonable price I will get it. My gamers days are long over.

I think that "closed platform" was actually about the software. How many people buy hardware to just look at it and not run software on it ? :D
I'm very suspicious about M1 being even comparable to Ryzen3 (in terms of raw performance) apart from some very specific benchmark/use cases.

Associate
seen stock (10) of the 5800X available this morning elsewhere online but they are charging more than the MRSP of the 5900X for the 5800X

Associate
RISC processors will of course overtake X86 CPUs in terms of raw speed. They don't have archaic X86 instruction sets to handle from the days when RAM was so expensive that IBM & clones needed CPUs to do lots with a single instruction.

Apple lead the way and the PC market will follow. Interpretors will still let X86 executables run on Risc, for applications not natively compiled. It's happening.

Caporegime
seen stock (10) of the 5800X available this morning elsewhere online but they are charging more than the MRSP of the 5900X for the 5800X

Yeah, ocuk is now over £100 more than list for the 5950x. Worst retailer I saw is one that has 5800x for preorder or for an extra £110 they can buy their "queue priority" package and have one in stock delivered tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Thats just scummy

Associate
Might be worth buying from smaller shops in future as all these big online shops show no customer loyalty and are happy to scalp people because they know they are always top of online searches.

Associate
Yeah, ocuk is now over £100 more than list for the 5950x. Worst retailer I saw is one that has 5800x for preorder or for an extra £110 they can buy their "queue priority" package and have one in stock delivered tomorrow.:rolleyes:

Thats just scummy

I get people got to mak money but surely there should be some form of consumer protection against this sort of thing. People are buying them though, shop i saw has gone from 10 down to 3 in stock now

Soldato
The bots are a thing to behold to be fair. Tried buying a Xbox Series X they shut John Lewis website down and hoovered up the stock if 5 minutes.
Great, another clown fiesta hardware launch. Can't wait for the 6800 ****show next week.

Thing is, no one is spending money on normal stuff like going out and clothes so they have money to burn on this kind of stuff. It's rough.

Soldato
I get people got to mak money but surely there should be some form of consumer protection against this sort of thing. People are buying them though, shop i saw has gone from 10 down to 3 in stock now

Exactly. You don't have companies doing that with food in our supermarkets - it stays at list price. Like a previous poster - people are stuck at home with the lockdown ,they're wanting things to play with/toys so they're probably more 'desperate' for new tech and unfortunately these companies continually taking advantage. If a manufacturer makes it and gives out the MSRP then it should stay that way - I understand that companies want to make as much money as possible.............!

I know some people are going to going to disagree ...but 'these companies' already make loads of money -LOADS.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom