Switching from a gaming chair to ergonomic £1,000+ Herman Miller mesh chair or alternatives?

Associate
I have had a couple of gaming chairs in the last 5 years.

-DX Racer Racing Pro Series - RRP £349.99
utUQhEN.jpg

-Noble Chair Epic Series - RRP £299.99
nmpQ5cX.jpg

The thing about gaming chairs, they look cool but to be honest in some places i've worked in offices, a nice ergonomic chair can be a lot more comfortable than a gaming chair.

Pros for gaming chairs:
-Look cool
-Usually high backs for a headrest
-Can be quite bulky so strong and don't break (depending on what brand)

Cons for gaming chairs:
-Can be expensive just for a popular brand (DX Racer)
-Usually leather / faux leather so can be really warm in summer
-Seat isn't actually as comfortable as ergonomic chair

The main disadvantage for me though is that fact that it can be uncomfortable whilst sitting in the chair for long periods of time. I have now started working from home and in my free time, I am always at my desk. So i'm spending 16-18 hours a day in a gaming chair.

I am thinking of transitioning to an ergonomic chair. I have done some research and someone recommended to me the Herman Miller Aeron chair. It certainly looks comfortable but retails at £1,099 here currently in the UK... It's also supposed to be the best selling office chair in the world apparently.

-Herman Miller Aeron - RRP £1,099.00
iTcEr7Z.jpg

However, £1,099 for a chair is a lot of money. I do have the cash spare, so could buy one but would rather spend the money on something else. Hell, the chair costs more than my sofa.

Can anyone else recommend a popular cheap alternative(s) that I can buy in the UK, or is the Herman Miller really worth the money?

Last edited:
Soldato
Why not buy one secondhand? There's a thriving trade in good quality used office furniture.

There's no way I would have paid full price from the Humanscale Freedom I'm sitting on at the moment. It still wasn't cheap, but cheaper than many of the 'gaming' chairs.

Soldato
I've looked at them too. I've also spent some time in premium ergonomic chairs at work, and appreciate they are better than the generic gaming chairs I've had at home. That said, the guys at work in the ergo chairs spend up to 12 hrs a day in them. I spend 1 or 2 hours in my gaming chair.

Associate
OP
Why not buy one secondhand? There's a thriving trade in good quality used office furniture.

There's no way I would have paid full price from the Humanscale Freedom I'm sitting on at the moment. It still wasn't cheap, but cheaper than many of the 'gaming' chairs.
Yea, never buy those new, there is a massive second hand market.
I'm worried if I bought a second hand chair that it would fall apart easily... You never know how long it has been used and if i'm spending £500+ on a chair, I would want it to last.

Also, you never know who has used it as well for hygienic reasons.

Where can you buy them pre-owned?

Associate
Well, that's the thing, they're not movie chairs :p

Some do decline more than others, lots of reviews on youtube. With regards to hygiene they're typically bulk bought from offices where keeping things tidy and working in the nude isn't allowed. My Leap was mint. No marks on armrests from excessive use, neither were there scratches on legs, etc. With new upholstery hygiene should be less of an issue too.

Various places have their own shops online, there's also dedicated suppliers in 2nd furniture that you can visit. You can browse the bay then go direct to their website.

Associate
OP
Ok, so I have decided i'm going to buy one after watching some reviews.

The question now though is.... the Embody or Aeron ?

The problem I don't like on the Aeron is the bit of plastic on the end and I like to cross my legs a lot. However, the Aeron is also mesh whereas the Embody isn't. Hmm.

Associate
One thing to bear in mind is that although they are expensive they come with a 12 year warranty...I've just switched from a DXRacer chair to a Herman Miller Cosm high back and I'm very glad that I did. It's far more pleasing to look at than any gaming chair and it's also a lot comfier!

Associate
Another thing I forgot to mention is that I like to lean back and slouch in my chair a lot when watching movies or shows and stuff. - Not sure if you can do this in a Herman Miller?

This is why I bought the Hero over the HM. I'm obviously using it a lot more for work now as well because of lockdown but have zero complaints, can happily use it all day with good posture.

Associate
Another thing I forgot to mention is that I like to lean back and slouch in my chair a lot when watching movies or shows and stuff. - Not sure if you can do this in a Herman Miller?

Missed this until it was quoted above. With the Cosm, if you lean back, it goes back with you. It's designed to not require any adjustments at all, which was one of the reasons I went for it over the Embody. I'm quite tall (6'1) so an Aeron was out for me, as I want full back support.

It also looks better than any of the other HM chairs IMO. And got comments from the missus about how it's a "grown up chair" in comparison to my DXRacer chair that I had before :D

vc87ssli8wx51.jpg

(picture could do with cropping I realise)

Associate
I recently picked up a refurbished 2nd hand Humanscale Freedom high back chair and going from a standard run of the mill full back 'office' chair there's a few things I had to get used to.

The Freedom has a self adjusting tension so as you lean back you're supported....for me however my proportions are off and after a certain point I just fall lean all the way back. The nice thing with the Freedom is the headrest pivots close and so it's comfy to lean right back and game. The only gripe I have is due to the self adjusting tension there is no lean back lock like I was used to. Sometimes it's nice to have an upright chair and just push back into the locked position.

As someone working from home it's definitely noticeable having a real office chair. Tend to feel less stiff after sitting for a few hours.

I wouldn't pay full retail though...as good as they, are a refurbish from a good trader is worth it. My chair looks brand new (Italian leather apparently) apart from a minor frame scuff and castors that are a bit scratched.

Associate
Bought a Herman Miller Aeron for £350 about 4 years ago off eBay. It was 12 years old when I bought it from date stamp. Fantastic chair although after about 8-10 hours or so it can cut legs at the back of knee a bit, but it is really comfortable otherwise. Mine is B size I think you can tell by dots if I remember under top arch of seat mine has 2 of them.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Bought a Herman Miller Aeron for £350 about 4 years ago off eBay. It was 12 years old when I bought it from date stamp. Fantastic chair although after about 10 hours it can cut legs at the back of knee a bit.
Yeah I have watched 3 reviews on YouTube and all of them mention the plastic part at the end. I cross my legs a lot too so will affect me more.

This is why I'm leaning more towards the embody at the moment.

Associate
I was looking to buy 2nd hand Aeron but I could not find any locally for reasonable price. I bought Mirra v1 instead and so far I like it. Is as comfy as Aeron which I have at work (although last time I was sitting in one was in March). I had Ikea Markus at home and Mirra is much better. Things I like is adjustable seat edge at the front (helps with back of the thighs if you had an issue with Aeron), the arms can go very low so I can roll with the chair under the desk. I thought I won't like plastic back but it doesnt bother me really. I'm usually in my chair for at least 12hr a day and the markus was getting very uncomfortable after few hours but I can sit in Mirra all day without any major issues.

Soldato
I only recognise these chairs as we have several Herman Millers in the office, which were all ordered for people with back problems... or who cry-bully HR about VDU/desktop safety stuff until they get given one.
All of them are broken in some way or another, usually on the adjustment mechanisms.

IME, the best chairs are the ones designed for 24hr use, like in security/reception and dispatcher type roles.

Associate
I only recognise these chairs as we have several Herman Millers in the office, which were all ordered for people with back problems... or who cry-bully HR about VDU/desktop safety stuff until they get given one.
All of them are broken in some way or another, usually on the adjustment mechanisms.

IME, the best chairs are the ones designed for 24hr use, like in security/reception and dispatcher type roles.

HM chairs come with a 12 year, 24/7 use warranty...

Associate
Yeah I have watched 3 reviews on YouTube and all of them mention the plastic part at the end. I cross my legs a lot too so will affect me more.

This is why I'm leaning more towards the embody at the moment.
As long as you get one that is the right size for you it isn't a problem. You want a few inches between the end of the chair and the back of the knee. I cross my legs and have a Size C and don't have an issue, i'm 6"1. I bought an Aeron brand new, in aluminium finish with posture fit. They might run a 15% off soon for Black Friday (they usually do), and i can honestly say its the most comfortable chair i've ever sat in.

The Embody doesn't have mesh and I'd be worried about getting warm with that. I tried the Cosm, didn't like it, as with a properly supportive ergonomic chair you don't need a high back/head rest. The Sayl also wasn't for me.

Associate
As long as you get one that is the right size for you it isn't a problem. You want a few inches between the end of the chair and the back of the knee. I cross my legs and have a Size C and don't have an issue, i'm 6"1. I bought an Aeron brand new, in aluminium finish with posture fit. They might run a 15% off soon for Black Friday (they usually do), and i can honestly say its the most comfortable chair i've ever sat in.

The Embody doesn't have mesh and I'd be worried about getting warm with that. I tried the Cosm, didn't like it, as with a properly supportive ergonomic chair you don't need a high back/head rest. The Sayl also wasn't for me.

@Actual_Criminal 15% off sale has just started, I'm a prophet!

Back
Top Bottom