• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

RYZEN 5000 SERIES NOW ONLINE - 5950X, 5900X, 5800X & 5600X COMING NOV 5TH AT 5PM **NO COMPETITORS**

Associate
You don't have companies doing that with food in our supermarkets - it stays at list price.

If we had the same kind of supply and demand issues as we're having with GPUs/CPUs for food then the supermarkets wouldn't have any of that food to sell at list.

It's an unrealistic comparison when one thing is wildly available, cheap, easily made and the other is the complete opposite.

Associate
It's not, i get a forum error :D

Hrmm. in which guess i guess it's tied to my session. The url doesn't give that impression.

Steps to recreate are : Go to the forum post; thread tools (over on the top right) > "who replied" > click on the number in the right column against Gibbo's name.

At least then you can view the official messages.

Associate
If we had the same kind of supply and demand issues as we're having with GPUs/CPUs for food then the supermarkets wouldn't have any of that food to sell at list.

It's an unrealistic comparison when one thing is wildly available, cheap, easily made and the other is the complete opposite.
Didn't something like that happen a while back with Avocados? :D Not that I'd personally consider them 'food', but supply was low, prices went up...

Associate
I think that "closed platform" was actually about the software. How many people buy hardware to just look at it and not run software on it ? :D
I'm very suspicious about M1 being even comparable to Ryzen3 (in terms of raw performance) apart from some very specific benchmark/use cases.

What I meant is that there are people that love to tinker with hardware and change parts over time. Where I'm on the other end and I want stable hardware that I don't need to touch at all.

Surely it is good that you question the validity of their bombastic marketing claims, I don't believe these as well until I see concrete benchmarks. But it was the case with AMD as well when they released 5000 earlier this month.

But if this CPU is as performant as they claim, in 1-2 years we might write about ARM processors running games in this forum.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting seeing how high the demsnd is for these. Is it maybe a marketing strategy by AMD similar to Nvidia?

Even on a 2nd hand website competitor (selling new and 2nd hand) people are listing pre orders for hundreds over the rrp. Pre orders which some are December.
Actual next day delivery / cash on collection 5000 series don’t seem to exist. If they did i’m sure some would pay double if not triple the rrp. Crazy but clever strategy for highly saught after products.

Similar in a way to diamond price / quantity control. Why look for more when you can limit quantity and up the price

Associate
Similar in a way to diamond price / quantity control. Why look for more when you can limit quantity and up the price

Not really, by controlling the supply and spending decades pushing the message of their value/rarity they've done a good job to make Diamonds worth much more than they should otherwise be but AMD actually loses out by restricting supply, if they could meet demand they would.

Soldato
Not really, by controlling the supply and spending decades pushing the message of their value/rarity they've done a good job to make Diamonds worth much more than they should otherwise be but AMD actually loses out by restricting supply, if they could meet demand they would.
It's a great way to keep prices high and shift all the old zen 2 stock though.

Associate
Exactly. You don't have companies doing that with food in our supermarkets - it stays at list price. Like a previous poster - people are stuck at home with the lockdown ,they're wanting things to play with/toys so they're probably more 'desperate' for new tech and unfortunately these companies continually taking advantage. If a manufacturer makes it and gives out the MSRP then it should stay that way - I understand that companies want to make as much money as possible.............!

I know some people are going to going to disagree ...but 'these companies' already make loads of money -LOADS.
I wonder how Apple do it, They always seem to have shed loads of stock available at launch and accurate ETA's as initial stock dwindles Plus i dont think i recall seeing any Apple product such as iPhone or iPads been sold above MRSP, certainly not by the main retailers anyway

Associate
I wonder how Apple do it, They always seem to have shed loads of stock available at launch and accurate ETA's as initial stock dwindles Plus i dont think i recall seeing any Apple product such as iPhone or iPads been sold above MRSP, certainly not by the main retailers anyway

I think it really just comes down to competency. Notice how all the other companies give excuses which literally sound like something you come up with when you need to hide how badly you have messed up? NVIDIA came out the gates first supposedly not knowing their new cards would be in high demand. AMD claimed they had all the CPUs which quickly has changed to none of the CPUs.

We are being lead to believe that all the logistics surrounding the supply of hardware are reliant on what? Good faith and best wishes? It isn't even especially new either, when I bought a Ryzen 3700 it felt more like seeing a man about a dog than buying hardware from legitimate companies, who at least in theory do it as a business. Answers to where stock was ranged from it will be here any minute, to it might be here this week.

Associate

Apple have a crazy profit margin on their sales. They can afford to. If PC components were sold continually at the same level of profit margins that apple get away with, there's no chance we'd be having this supply problem.

Tomorrow, a diamond is still a diamond. The CPU however, is one day older, and one day closer to being made obselete by the next model or a competitor. With the amount of investment in each new generation of CPUs, companies need to make their money back ASAP.

Associate
Wow, March 2021?

Where is all the 7nm production capacity going? They're sold out of all the consoles, all the GPUs, all the CPUs... Crazy.

e: I have a full system rebuild to do.. there really isn't much point in starting it, tbh. Won't be able to get a CPU, won't be able to get a GPU... and without either it's a bust :p

Sony got them all. Had a bit of a problem with PS5 supply.

Last edited:
Soldato
where? :p

(i mean mine just shipped from a massive online etailer that i ordered on 6th)

I am curious though about stock levels around the UK though given OCUK's main competitor have some 2500 outstanding preorders and I'm guessing it will be similar here.

Soldato
where? :p

(i mean mine just shipped from a massive online etailer that i ordered on 6th)

I am curious though about stock levels around the UK though given OCUK's main competitor have some 2500 outstanding preorders and I'm guessing it will be similar here.

The places that shall remain nameless :p but seriously, not every shop is operating a pre order and queue system.

Associate
Given that I am 589 in the queue for a 5900X and there are 1496 outstanding pre orders for the 5900X, this means a 2.5 week wait.
Anyone else can estimate their delivery from the numbers on the Ryzen 5000 series status FAQ.

...That said, I think it will be more than 3 weeks :rolleyes:
My queue position hasn't changed at all (or at least, I've had email notification to say it's moved). It was close to 800 so I'm not overly optimistic of getting it in 4-6 weeks.

Associate
My queue position hasn't changed at all (or at least, I've had email notification to say it's moved). It was close to 800 so I'm not overly optimistic of getting it in 4-6 weeks.

I was planning on ordering at the end of the month for a 5800x as i was waiting on reviews but whats the point of pairing this with a GTX 970. Bit annoying as I'm also looking to replace my aging 3 screen setup with 1440p ones grrrr

Soldato
It wont have changed.
The numbers are pre-orders after the initial stock all sold.
I queried initial stock numbers and was told they didnt know :rolleyes:
Suppose if thousands were ordering every minute the initial stock was all gone in ~10-30 seconds

Back
Top Bottom