**** Official OnePlus 8/OnePlus 8 Pro Thread ****

Soldato
Was there a reason you went for the 8 Pro and not the 8T considering you'd rather have a flat screen?
RE the app situation, all Android phones can restore based on your Google cloud (provided you are backed up to it).
On top of that OnePlus has an app (aptly named OnePlus Switcher) that can take care off the changeover also.

Associate
My transfer from a Pixel to 8 Pro couldn't have been easier. Make sure you activate a backup in Google settings on your old phone and the same with WhatsApp. Turn on the new phone and you can then restore from the cloud or your Pixel and everything should copy across. Yes, you'll need to log in again to everything, but that's about it.

Still loving mine!

Soldato
Was there a reason you went for the 8 Pro and not the 8T considering you'd rather have a flat screen?
RE the app situation, all Android phones can restore based on your Google cloud (provided you are backed up to it).
On top of that OnePlus has an app (aptly named OnePlus Switcher) that can take care off the changeover also.

The lack of wireless charging was a game changer for me, the waterproof not so important but generally they were the main reasons.

GMac & hip that sounds perfect, exactly how I restored to new pixels etc. Awesome!

Soldato
Yep, issues ranging from camera app crashing I think and call recording not being available. General system instability. 475 pages on the thread for the Oneplus 5's Android 10 update and 9,500 posts.

Surpise Surpise I had another update on my OP5 today!

uc

Soldato
Got my OP8 Pro today! Just finished setting it up, any recommendations on a tempered glass screen protector? I bought a 'HZZK OnePlus 8 Pro Screen Protector[2 Pack] ' from a certain online shop, and they are awful, fit fine, easy to apply, no bubbles, but it has harmed the sensitivity massively, and the swipe up to close apps gesture is barely working. I couldn't find any option to increase sensitivity to compensate for a screen protector in the menus...

Soldato
Wow, how have you got that? VPN, or did you download the update and apply it manually when it was available? Mines still not showing any updates available and hasn't had one for a considerable amount of time!

I did a manual update to 10.0 many months ago by downloading the update from their website.

This new update was an OTA today. No VPN.

Soldato
So I've been on the OP8 Pro for a couple of months now and something is driving me crazy.
The proximity sensor on during calls. So many times I've been disconnected, turned off Bluetooth, data or torch on with my ear because the sensor doesnt turn the screen off, its driving me crazy.

Anyone else have the same thing, I'm at the point where I think I'm going to change it?

Soldato
I did a manual update to 10.0 many months ago by downloading the update from their website.

This new update was an OTA today. No VPN.
Fair enough. Heard the initial release was 'troublesome' so good luck with it!

I did read there's an Oxygen updater app that might mean you can get it quicker. Not sure if that's for the newer models though.

No updates show for me yet by checking in settings > Update

Soldato
Got my OP8 Pro today! Just finished setting it up, any recommendations on a tempered glass screen protector? I bought a 'HZZK OnePlus 8 Pro Screen Protector[2 Pack] ' from a certain online shop, and they are awful, fit fine, easy to apply, no bubbles, but it has harmed the sensitivity massively, and the swipe up to close apps gesture is barely working. I couldn't find any option to increase sensitivity to compensate for a screen protector in the menus...
Screen Protectors, just no. Enjoy the phone for what it is and don't worry.
It's like buying a lovely new leather suite and wrapping it in clingfilm! Why? Just so the next buyer has a nice new screen to look at?
For me they've never been worth the drawbacks - air bubbles, reduced responsiveness, fingerprint scanner issues, rainbow effect and just an all round poorer feel in the hand.

Soldato
I'm a little confused as to why you wouldn't think it's faulty?

Apparently looking at the OP forums its a pretty common thing and historically OP have not even acknowledged the issue but having spoke to an online agent they would not see it as a fault.
The screen does turn on / off within the proximity, it just turns back on during the call and my ear / face then happily starts turning things on / off.

Man of Honour

I did read there's an Oxygen updater app that might mean you can get it quicker. Not sure if that's for the newer models though.

Oxygen updater is a great little app, pretty sure it should work on the 5 still.

Soldato

Download the FW from oneplus website. And hit local upgrade.

Soldato
I loved the look of the 8T, and would have had it on contract over the Pixel 5 but I couldn't find it on contract with EE anywhere :/

It seems like a few retailers/carriers have dropped OnePlus from their lineup?

Soldato
Screen Protectors, just no. Enjoy the phone for what it is and don't worry.
It's like buying a lovely new leather suite and wrapping it in clingfilm! Why? Just so the next buyer has a nice new screen to look at?
For me they've never been worth the drawbacks - air bubbles, reduced responsiveness, fingerprint scanner issues, rainbow effect and just an all round poorer feel in the hand.

Like a true pro... I hadn't realised it came pre-fitted with a screen protector :D no wonder it wasn't particularly responsive, bad enough with one, let alone 2 on there haha!

Still getting used to the gestures compared to my Pixel 4XL, the swipe up from the bottom to get to main screen works for me about 85% of the time, I had mastered it on the 4XL so may just need to get used to the OP8 :)

Soldato
Like a true pro... I hadn't realised it came pre-fitted with a screen protector :D no wonder it wasn't particularly responsive, bad enough with one, let alone 2 on there haha!

Still getting used to the gestures compared to my Pixel 4XL, the swipe up from the bottom to get to main screen works for me about 85% of the time, I had mastered it on the 4XL so may just need to get used to the OP8 :)
Yeah I had found the screen protector was the main obstacle in the OnePlus gestures because you always end up swiping at the edge of the protector. It never felt that nice and inevitably it will begin to wear away at that point.
But yes, removing the pre-applied one will certainly help! :p

Back
Top Bottom