Such A Thing As Flat Satellite Cables?

Soldato
Got a dilemma with the current satellite cables in the living room. The cable comes in from one side of the lounge but it's the opposite end of the room to where the TV is.

I currently have the existing cables connected to extenders and laid out in front of the fireplace.

I'm reluctant to do any more drill holes in the room so wondering if there is anything such as flat cable as we're having carpet fitted in a few weeks and could run it under the carpet?

And yes santa is out haha

Associate
What's under the carpet? Is it floorboards? If so now would be the ideal time to pull the carpet up and route the cables under the floor from one side of the room to the other.

Dave

Soldato
Was about to suggest the same as above. Depending on whether you've had the carpet up before or not there may already be an access hatch cut into the existing floor to allow access to the crawl space underneath if it's a suspended timber floor.

Soldato
yep put those cables under the floorboards if possible

also think about running extra cables while u got the chance! idk which cables though

Soldato
OP
You'd think, but I spent mugging money in B&Q for 2 x 5m lengths of Sat cable and I think it was about £20 so not bad really. 10m is too long though and that's only 1 cable, need 2 for SKY Q.

Permabanned
underneath that carpet should be grippers and an underlay. if you pull up the carpet then you can cut the underlay back half a centimeter from the gripper, lay the cable in that, then put the carpet back. It's really not difficult. To pull the carpet up you can stab it with a small screwdriver and pull upwards to release it from the gripper. You need something like a filling knife to go round the edge of the carpet poking it back in correctly.

Soldato
If the OP was to search a well known online store for “MANAX SAT flat coax”, they might well find themselves able to buy such cables in a range of lengths between 1.5m and 10m.

How long is the total cable run from the LNB to the decoder?

Soldato
Legend, I did search on there but clearly not well enough. This will be perfect. 3.5m will suffice to lay out nicely underneath the new carpet and around the hearth.

I'd do what pp111 suggested, unless you've got exceptionally thick underlay i wouldn't run the cables right across the middle of the room as even though they're flat you'll still feel a bump in the carpet. You're unlikely to notice that around the edge of the room - especially as that's where you're more likely to have furniture.

Soldato
OP
I will ask the carpet fitters to do this such thing when they come to fit it. I am sure they will understand what is required. I will have it wired underneath but all the way around the fireplace/walls up to the TV.

Back
Top Bottom