Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Thanks for the heads up.

OK so I completely removed my account from the xbox and did a system reset (but kept the games).

I used the app to set the xbox up but crucially this time when the system said it found old settings and asked if I wanted to apply them, I said no.

Now before I did this, my device on my microsoft account was pictured as some generic icon but it said Series x.

Since doing the above my device is pictured as a series x but is called xbox one!! :eek: It does have the proper serial number though.

However just tried remotely installing a gamepass title from the online Microsoft store and another in the gamepass app and a device is now listed - but its called xbox one. Selecting it does actually install the games to my series x though.

Weird!

Thanks for the advice though - it has worked a treat.

Mine shows as Xbox one which I've never owned :confused:

Soldato
Some of the 4K 120Hz VRR problems people are having could be the included MS hdmi cable. Some reports have said swapping for a different hdmi 2.1 cable has solved the issue. Might be worth a try if you are having issues....

Associate
Turn off freesync premium in the settings on the TV. This confused me for a bit too. It's Dolby vision or freesync, not both.
Ah, fair enough. Am I right in assuming Dolby Vision is really just for movies anyway and games use HDR10 generally? This system is only used for games so VRR seems to make more sense.

Soldato
I really like the fact that you can preload stuff even before buying it.

For example I have just downloaded assassin's creed Valhalla before the disc has even arrived.

so I am hoping we can just pop it in and play but I am sure there will be a patch to download haha

Man of Honour

For example I have just downloaded assassin's creed Valhalla before the disc has even arrived.

so I am hoping we can just pop it in and play but I am sure there will be a patch to download haha

Yes, its a great feature. I have it downloaded ready to go. I just need the disc to arrive...

Associate
Very happy with my Series X over my old one S. Had a quick blast on BV5 last night, the load times were incredible and buttery smooth gameplay compared to my old S. Bit disappointed due to lack of launch titles but still enough of an upgrade for now that I'm satisfied with my purchase.

Soldato
Managed to get RDR2 running after a complete reinstall, hoorah.

Still undecided on if I want to get a 4k60fps monitor now, or wait for HDMI 2.1 and inevitably splurge a large amount

Soldato

Oh, didn't realise i could do that - i pre-ordered from ubisoft themselves and it still hasn't arrived

Soldato
On the lg oled in combination with the series x, how do I know when vrr is even working?

I get notifications when switching to low latency mode.

Soldato
Brexit already hurting? registered my console and see one year instead of the usual two years.

Apparently its a fixed £39 for extended regardless if its an X or an S, usually I dont even consider extended warranties, seen them as overpriced for something that is extremely rarely used, however this console runs really really hot and its making me wary if it will last very long, also the controller feels like it will break before then as well.

Instant on failed again earlier, from the auto 2 hour turn off, but this time it came back on with the 2nd attempt so no need for full boot up. On my ps4 pro the sleep mode is super reliable and love it for saving game states, but this implementation is dodgy.

Also I can confirm the 4 month trick works. Dont use discounted 3 month sub straight away, first accept the 1 month for £1 deal, then add the discounted 3 months on top. "next charge 12/03/2021"

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't remember the last time I ordered a physical disc. I only went for it due to the Ubisoft discount and the fact they didn't offer it in a digital format.

I seen the S and X put side by side by reviewtechusa, and the X feels too big, but if they made an X without the optical drive and assuming the space reduction doesnt break the airflow and temps, then if I decide to upgrade at a later date I would go for it, so basically a digital X.

Soldato
Yeah the lack of One X enhancements is quite striking, games that I played on the One X like A Plagues Tale look awful on the Series S. Clearly it has the power as the enhanced titles like FH4 and Gears 5 look very similar so hopefully developers will update their games to make use of it. I know the Series X is the logical upgrade for One X users but as someone who only has a 1080p tv its a shame the Series S has been hampered in this way. Even at £250 it should be able to match a last gen console released 3 years ago.

Has anyone else noticed weird graphical glitches, mainly with reflections / lighting? In both FH4 and Gear 5 I've noticed kinda white dots covering reflections, at first I just thought it was supposed to be glistening snow in FH4 but then I noticed it in Gears as well. Its odd, anti-aliasing seems a bit off on lighting effects as well.

Overall I like the new controller and the Series S really is very small while still being very quiet but I think having owned a One X for a few weeks before deciding to return it and get this has taken the shine off it. That and the fact we haven't got any big launch titles to play.

If this is indeed widespread, do you have a source where the specific X enhancements are listed and for which games?

Also do you have screenshot comparisons for one X and series S for A plagues Tale given you own both?

For me lost oddysey looks great, its way cleaner than native 360, and the performance is zippy. (it struggled massively on the 360).

If there is many 360 games been hampered needlessly, we need the media to moan about it, but they have been so focused on the X and treating the S as a side chapter, media attention would get it fixed pretty quckly. As you said hardware should be able to handle it if the One X can. In a way it could be enforced market segregation, but I dont know why microsoft would do that as I expect they losing money on the X.

Just googled and Plagues tale seems to be a 2019 xbox one game, I am interested in the 360 BC stuff, whether witcher 2 is an outlier or not.

Even though I have no love for xbox one games, I agree they should add any graphical enhancements, (apart from 4k resolution). I didnt know that was a thing though, I thought one X just had higher resolution (and sometimes framerate) over the one S.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom