• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3090 Owners Thread

Associate
well i think we are going to wait quite a while for 5950x stock to catch up with pre orders also.

Yeah, fully expecting that too... my GPU is the bottleneck at the moment, though.

Ended up buying an Asus 1650 Super GPU as a stop-gap (with a Ryzen 3600XT) to get the system up and running. Struggling to get much more than 60fps in Warzone at 1440p with the settings turned down.

Associate
Im running my 3090 on a 7700k which is not ideal - gonna keep my ear to the ground for a 5800x hopefully be able to snag one like I did with the gpu

Soldato
Not sure what to think of the card so far, i game either at 3440x1440 and that has been largely underwhelming compared to my 2080ti, but at 4k its a great boost which i do at 4k/120, Death Stranding at 4k is a joy to behold. Tried a bit of overclocking and anything more than 100mhz on the core has caused a few crashes which is pretty frustrating. Undecided whether ill send the card back or not yet.

Associate
Not sure what to think of the card so far, i game either at 3440x1440 and that has been largely underwhelming compared to my 2080ti, but at 4k its a great boost which i do at 4k/120, Death Stranding at 4k is a joy to behold. Tried a bit of overclocking and anything more than 100mhz on the core has caused a few crashes which is pretty frustrating. Undecided whether ill send the card back or not yet.

What monitor are you using for 4k@120hz out of interest?

Soldato
I would be impressed if the slight bus width reduction would amount to a 5% drop in performance. The 3090 is 10% faster with a 21% larger Cuda core and Texture unit count vs the 3080 at 4k. So if 5% performance came from the bus width, the remaining 5% would come from the 21% increase in core and texture unit which would be awful scaling. That or just really would show the Ampere family is really datacentric focus and all those cores can not easily be fed / scale with gaming workloads.

I keep getting crashing at stock settings on Valhalla, just shuts my computer off dead, im guessing this could be power related? Ive got an 850w psu.

If its a quality PSU would expect it to be fine but depends on other parts. Running 3090 fine with 8700k, both OCd on now a corsair 750w SFX and prior to that a silverstone 700w SFX unit (3090 will go into SFF build). This is playing Valhalla about 8 hours now and no hiccups. Have your tried any other games?

Soldato
I would be impressed if the slight bus width reduction would amount to a 5% drop in performance. The 3090 is 10% faster with a 21% larger Cuda core and Texture unit count vs the 3080 at 4k. So if 5% performance came from the bus width, the remaining 5% would come from the 21% increase in core and texture unit which would be awful scaling. That or just really would show the Ampere family is really datacentric focus and all those cores can not easily be fed / scale with gaming workloads.

If its a quality PSU would expect it to be fine but depends on other parts. Running 3090 fine with 8700k, both OCd on now a corsair 750w SFX and prior to that a silverstone 700w SFX unit (3090 will go into SFF build). This is playing Valhalla about 8 hours now and no hiccups. Have your tried any other games?

Its a titanium seasonic snow (actually its a 750w not an 850w, just double checked). Other games have been fine other than doom which also crashed.

I also ran a stress test on port royal and it passed, so its a strange one.

Soldato
Its a titanium seasonic snow (actually its a 750w not an 850w, just double checked). Other games have been fine other than doom which also crashed.

I also ran a stress test on port royal and it passed, so its a strange one.

Yeah quality unit, would have thought it be fine as you say, pass's port royal stress test so is odd. Could try undervolting the card and possibly turn your CPU to stock if its not already. AC is Pretty hard on CPU also so if overclocked could be shaking out an unstable OC while Port Royal stress test checks GPU only if I recall correctly and other games may not be as demanding.

Soldato
Everything is at stock, although i realised i had an 100mhz overclock on the GPU from when i was benching that i hadnt removed, at stock ive just played half an hour there no problem, boosts to 1935 which i dont think is terrible but id have thought id have been able to get a little overclock out off it.

Back
Top Bottom