LG OLED Screen Burn

Soldato
Had my B6 for about 3 and a half years and the screen burn is so bad, the netflix logo is burnt into the bottom right of the screen, areas where subtitles are displayed are distinctively burned in and there's a few other areas that have burned.

I'm pretty annoyed about this but it was an insurance replacement for my old Panasonic plasma so effectively it hasn't cost me much other than a negligible rise in my premium, but now that I see it, it's bugging the hell out of me and I want a new TV.

What are the new panels like for burn in or am I better off with a QLED?

Soldato
It's meant to be pretty non existent on the new panels, but without no one running them for years yet it's hard to say.

If you really want OLED though, just play it safe and go John Lewis and take the protect plus option which covers 5 years worth of burn in.

Man of Honour
I'm so glad we went for QLED when we bought ours 3 years or so ago, it was a difficult decision. My wife leaves TV paused for hours, so we'd be screwed.

Soldato
I'm so glad we went for QLED when we bought ours 3 years or so ago, it was a difficult decision. My wife leaves TV paused for hours, so we'd be screwed.
This is why I went with a Sammy Q90R a few months ago. Our room is bright too so a QLED would have been a better move anyway really. The amount the TV is left on makes me realise an OLED just wouldn’t work no matter how much I wanted one.

Caporegime
Had my B6 for about 3 and a half years and the screen burn is so bad, the netflix logo is burnt into the bottom right of the screen, areas where subtitles are displayed are distinctively burned in and there's a few other areas that have burned.

I'm pretty annoyed about this but it was an insurance replacement for my old Panasonic plasma so effectively it hasn't cost me much other than a negligible rise in my premium, but now that I see it, it's bugging the hell out of me and I want a new TV.

What are the new panels like for burn in or am I better off with a QLED?

I said the same thing on here years back.

Everyone said it was a non issue and nothing to see here.

I'm glad I didn't listen to them after owning several plasmas.

I've learned just buy a decent FALD lcd and forget about the absolute best blacks.

Associate
It's meant to be pretty non existent on the new panels, but without no one running them for years yet it's hard to say.

If you really want OLED though, just play it safe and go John Lewis and take the protect plus option which covers 5 years worth of burn in.

I read that JL no longer provide this service (as of a couple of weeks ago)

Soldato
OP
This is why I went with a Sammy Q90R a few months ago. Our room is bright too so a QLED would have been a better move anyway really. The amount the TV is left on makes me realise an OLED just wouldn’t work no matter how much I wanted one.
Been reading the reviews, think I might go for one of these if I can find a good deal. Performance is almost as good as OLED for blacks.

Associate
I couldn’t go back to an LED TV after having an OLED, I have used mine for everything even as a PC monitor and have no sign of screen burn after 4 years. You do have to leave it in standby when you turn it off so it can maintain it’s self to minimise the chance of image retention, this is why you might see evidence of screen burn on OLED TVs in places like Currys because they must switch the power off to the screens when they close the store rather than put them into standby and they sometimes have them playing the same content in a loop which is not good for an OLED panel.

Associate
Depends on usage really. If you are watching cartoons or morning shows where the station/show logo is constantly there, then perhaps the best image quality isn't for you anyway. For movies/series etc, nothing beats an OLED.

Soldato
OP
Just for context then, the tv is 3.5 years old. Used for watching mostly 4K dolby vision/hdr content, netflix, amazon prime, PS4 Pro and the odd TV programme. The TV has the screen saver come on after 2 mins of inactivity and its always put in standby.

Soldato
Do you have it running on high OLED light settings for most of the time?

Just interested as I have the B7 and would want to avoid this. Similar usage profile to you.

Back
Top Bottom