What can i do to this laptop? (Advent 7201)

Soldato
Hey guys

I was given this laptop by my parents as they replaced it 2 years ago as it kept over heating constantly. I stripped it to bits and replaced the TIM with arctic 5 and blew all the dust out and now idle temps are 43c rather than 71c.

Anyway i've installed windows 7 and it seems a lot better than vista which was installed on it originally. It'll mainly be used for downloading, surfing, car diagnostics and my pc repair jobs on the side.

I'm looking into adding another 1GB of ram to raise the total to a lofty height of 2GB and maybe a SSD.

Now..... i've been looking at processors on ebay and all i can work out is the laptop uses a Intel "M" socket (correct me if i'm wrong). I'm not expecting super mega performance or gaming spec but i'd be happy with a low end Pentium processor or anything that'll improve it slightly. Since old processors go for around £8-£30 and i didn't pay for the laptop i thought it would be worth a stab. If not no worries :)

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Just read up abit more, basically that laptop is a rebraded Quanta PL5C. Seems to be confusion if my chipset is either a Intel 943GML Express or ATI SB400.

Bios version is Phoenix NoteBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1

EDIT: Just ordered a T5300 for a tenner delivered. The socket and chipset match but my only concern is that my bios wont support dual core as i've only got single core atm. Nothing to lose :)

Last edited:
Associate
You could add an SSD according to the spec sheep I looked at it does have SATA although only 1.5gb/s so the ssd would be bottlenecked but something like a cheap crucial V4 might be worth fitting as it would certainly speed the system up. 2gb of ram is definitely worth fitting if you are running windows 7 (if you can get it cheap) as it will speed things up nicely, its a shame it doesn't support 3 or 4gb (limitation of the chipset)

Associate
I know you posted this in 2013 and its now 2020 but, is that the bios that can run 2GB ram as i just brought one of these laptops for £10 with 2x1gb sticks of ram but only shows one.

Soldato
OP
Hey Kyle. To be honest, I can't remember now. I don't think I updated the bios but I definitely had 2gb of ram in it. Make sure they're seated correctly and that they are matching sticks.

Back
Top Bottom