• Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Anyone help with my post a few pages back cheers

Hey guys can someone help us out

Lad has got the series x but when hdr is hdr is turned on he gets stutter in fifa and a couple of other games .when off they are fine.

Tv is a hdr tv but not top end and only 40 inch.

Question is if he turned off hdr all the time and just went 4k what would he be actually losing out on.

Im guessing all the fancy graphics and ray tracing will be fine and he will just miss out on some dynqmic lighting ?

Thanks

Yes you just miss out on hdr which is better colours and better dynamic range.

Soldato
Seems to be mixed messages.

The MS page seems to imply that is the case, but some on here say it isnt. Then we have the account above re support saying it has to be bought from MS.

So who knows :p

Yeah reddit page says buy from anywhere which makes sense as its an xbox after all and MS are covering the warranty. however the cover is not even available yet so let's wait and see.

Soldato
I am considering returning my Series S, as no one else has reported this issue so could be faulty hardware.

The issue I reported earlier actually also happens on energy efficient mode as well.

Shutdown via single press of power button
Shutdown via shutdown command on quick access menu.
Auto shutdown via power down after X hours.

All of them cause the video to not come on when I power it up.

If I either shut down via holding power button for 10 seconds, or going to power menu and selecting full shutdown, it always turns on fine. So I am guessing energy efficient shutdown is not a full shutdown, it seems to be an intermediate one.

Soldato
You're right; they aren't directly comparable. That's the point. If a game is built with One X in mind, can the Series S essentially "emulate" that hardware? Or is the hardware configuration too different? The Series S GPU can't give games access to CUs and shader units that it doesn't have, or RAM that doesn't exist.

As for the other bit, recent Xbox One games tend to have two sets of assets; one set at 1080p (or below) for One S, and one set at 4K for One X. There are no 1440p assets. So Series S has to deal with either the One S set, or the One X set. Outputting 1440p doesn't help much if you still need to process 4K assets.

To be clear, I'm not hating on Series S here. I'm sure it's perfectly capable of running One X games at similar quality settings to One X, and with better frame rates. But only if games are optimised for that platform. Unlike Series X, it doesn't have the power to directly "emulate" a One X.

It shouldnt need to emulate as it is x86 platform still, but who knows what Microsoft have done with their OS, you could be right its emulating Xbox One games, but I think they running natively, I accept the VRAM argument that has been pointed out though, so I think running them at 4k is possibly too much, so like has been said its going to need for games to be optimised for the console otherwise it will be Xbox One S mode.

I did find a article by one of the big PC review websites, they did a test on a 6 gig GPU for 1440p and 4k games and determined it is enough VRAM for almost every game they tested, but of course PC's also have normal system ram not unified memory so that has to be taken into account. I think the S is fine for my use case, but if I was wanting to play Xbox One games "and" I was bothered about having Xbox One S levels of performance I probably would have got an X.

Soldato
You're right; they aren't directly comparable. That's the point. If a game is built with One X in mind, can the Series S essentially "emulate" that hardware? Or is the hardware configuration too different? The Series S GPU can't give games access to CUs and shader units that it doesn't have, or RAM that doesn't exist.

As for the other bit, recent Xbox One games tend to have two sets of assets; one set at 1080p (or below) for One S, and one set at 4K for One X. There are no 1440p assets. So Series S has to deal with either the One S set, or the One X set. Outputting 1440p doesn't help much if you still need to process 4K assets.

To be clear, I'm not hating on Series S here. I'm sure it's perfectly capable of running One X games at similar quality settings to One X, and with better frame rates. But only if games are optimised for that platform. Unlike Series X, it doesn't have the power to directly "emulate" a One X.
Your use of emulate is confusing.
Either way your way overthinking it. These boxes are basically mini pcs now and we started to see pc like options creep in during the last generation (performance v quality) and already were seeing more options this gen (rt quality)

Like pc gaming, games will simply be configured based on hardware available. all it will equate to is better textures,or draw distance,or AF etc...again just like in pc gaming.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your word of emulate is confusing.
Either way your way overthinking it. These boxes are basically mini pcs now and we started to see pc like options creep in during the last generation (performance v quality) and already were seeing more options this gen (rt quality)

Like pc gaming, games will simply be configured based on hardware available all it will equate to is better textures,or draw distance,or AF etc...again just like in pc gaming.

Yeah, emulate was a bad choice of words.

What I was trying to get at isn't really that complicated (just badly worded :p). One X has 40 CUs, 160 TMUs, and 2560 shader units. Series S has 20 CUs, 80 TMUs, and 1280 shaders. What's more plausible? That games built for One X hardware are going to struggle to run with a bunch of GPU components cut in half? Or that Microsoft are just being mean by keeping One X titles from Series S owners?

Soldato
Been playing Crackdown 3 for the last 2 hours and i don't know how it performed on the normal X before but it plays very well on the series X and looks good to:D

Soldato
I can't add it after purchase apparently. What a pita.

Important information
Cover starts upon delivery of your product or purchase of this insurance (whichever is the later);
This is optional cover and other insurances, such as home contents insurance, may cover your product;
If purchased, this insurance must be purchased within 30 days of purchasing the product being insured.

You have 30 days. The insurers have a number, I'd call them.

Soldato
Any one else noticed the face of their controller scratching / marking very easily? I’m always very careful with mine (e.g. my X1 controller is virtually perfect still) but the matt plastic used for the new controller seems very prone to marks...

Associate
I can't add it after purchase apparently. What a pita.

Unlikely to help you as its probably been over 30 days since you bought it. However just in case it can help someone else, it mentions below you can buy cover (from the rainforest place) after buying the product as long as its within 30 days.

I had the same issue with my oculus quest 2 but once I pointed the customer service advisor to the part below, he agreed I could buy cover after I bought the item.

UETdtit.jpg

Soldato
Just bought Dirt 5 for essentially nothing, had rewards in my Game wallet from buying the two consoles and got an email from Game giving me a code for Dirt 5 for £30, so spent them all on that. Got another code for £40 games, Cyberpunk and Watch Dogs, don't know whether to go ahead with that as I was planning on playing Cyberpunk on the PC.

Back
Top Bottom