*** The Official macOS Big Sur thread ***

Soldato
Effortless this morning. Took it a while last night to realise there was an update, but it wouldn't even begin for me. Guess they must have limited the number who could begin downloading.

As I've only had time to login and then close the lid, one major annoyance for me is this new Launchpad icon. Who decided that was better than the silver rocket?!

Associate
Like all Mac releases, its a mixed bag. However, I think its very stable compared with previous releases.

Associate
mixed bag it seems. I suspect more should be concerned with how the platform could get locked down more, particular as apple silicon neuters windows support etc.

Soldato
On one of my MBP's the dock looks great, on the other it isn't translucent and has a stupid white line around it. ANyone know how to fix this? I've check dock and appearance settings but can't find anything.

Seems in Accessibility the reduce transparency was switched on. Switched it off and all is good now :)

Soldato
I'd give yourself a restart or something if that happens again. I kicked it off very early this morning and it just downloaded the whole thing without issue.

I think I'm quite liking Big Sur so far, not that I've explored much. Just enjoying how good these Retina displays are on my new (to me) MBP.

Soldato
Had some issues downloading and launching the installer even this morning, but just tried again and it worked fine.

Initial impressions on my Mid-2014 MBP are that (having upgraded safari already), changes are limited to mainly cosmetic and UI design, which in a way, is good news given the movement to ARM-based architecture signalling a potential convergence with mobile devices that could have taken things down a different path... That said, it does seem like the whole UI has more padding around everything, so actually there is less space on the screen for content. E.g. safari top bar is larger, more padding around the dock icons etc. To me, that indicates that there's maybe an intent to enable MacOS to support touchscreen interfaces.

I tried to reduce the overall UI scale to compensate, but it gets pretty laggy and buggy when I do that. I'm putting that down to the Intel Iris graphics not really having the horsepower with all the other UI effects going on. Seeing slow scrolling in safari and laggy video playback. Moving back to 100% scaling and everything is normal again.

Soldato
Had a stressful night yesterday with my 2019 MBP. It crashed and on reboot just stopped working. Refused to open third party applications, everything bouncing in the dock, hanging etc.

I didn't even realise Big Sur had downloaded and was waiting to install but apparently a lot of people experienced similar issues before even initiating the install. Eventually got my MBP to start functioning normally again. Finally installed it this afternoon and it worked without hiccups.

Soldato
It's dissapointing Safari still has such primitive anti tracking features. Went on Goldsmiths for 2 minutes and as soon as I pick up my iPhone, Instagram is plastered with watch ads.

Firefox + CanvasBlocker it is.

Soldato
It's dissapointing Safari still has such primitive anti tracking features. Went on Goldsmiths for 2 minutes and as soon as I pick up my iPhone, Instagram is plastered with watch ads.

Firefox + CanvasBlocker it is.

Do you have cross-site tracking enabled? I've not run into this, but then again I don't see adverts at all.

Back
Top Bottom