RJ45 Cables - Making your Own - Advise?

Associate
Caporegime
I'd be sceptical of the quality of what you're getting considering the cheapest crimp tool I've used and was happy with was about £20 by itself. To make custom length cables up you just need a crimp tool, wire stripper (or knife if you're careful) and a set of cutters, so there's no need to pay for screwdrivers and a co-ax stripper.

I try and avoid making cables up, but when I don't have a choice then I use the feed-through plugs and an Ideal crimp tool. The cheaper kit will most likely be fine if you only have a few cables to make, but if you're going to be doing this regularly then I would recommend the higher quality tools.

Associate
OP
Since posting I've found an old Crimp tool in my toolbox as I made a few cables years ago moving freely and a little surface rust. I'll order some connectors up and do some testing then maybe get a better quality tool. Might look at making a few quid off making custom length cables locally to help people tidy up home setups.

Soldato
Making your own cables should be a last resort.

I can buy good pre-terminated cables for the cost of the cable and a couple of good ends.

By the time I added my billable time I'd be doing the customer a disservice to be making cables where a bought one would do the job.

Soldato
+1 for buying Pre-made patch cables. I costed a 20cm (0.2m) patch cable at about 40p plus labour and I can make one in about 5 minutes so add in whatever you value your time at and then you need the tools so in the end I came up with a figure of about £5. And I can buy one exactly the right length for under £1 in several different colours so why would I make one? For a long cable run (15m+) then yes, I’ll make one up the correct length but that’s more about a neat install than anything else.

Soldato
Sometimes, just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should, or that it’s a good idea.

As to your ‘business idea’, would you buy a custom length cable at the premium you’d need to charge in order to make it even remotely viable from someone who has to ask what crimp tool he should buy and then finds a rusty one in his toolbox from years ago and has no ability to test/certify his work and has no public liability insurance vs paying a pittance for a properly certified and tested cable in a wide range of colours/cable grades for bugger all on a next day delivery? Probably not.

Soldato
I think there is a side-gig for anyone with a reel of cable and some clips to run a custom cable for folks in their neighbourhood. I’ve been doing it for quite some time. I do it for free for OAPs. But I terminate into RJ45 faceplates rather than plugs. So a good punch-down tool would be higher on my list than a crimp tool.

Permabanned
I bought the TRENDnet crimp tool and have been really happy with it. It's only £11.99 and it's surprisingly good.
I mostly buy cables but do make my own from time to time when there are routing problems. Trying to get two cables down a 20mm duct is impossible when they are pre-terminated. The main issue I see with it is that it's slow. You can't rush it so it does take a little while to ensure everything is 100%.

Permabanned
Running it in a duct suggests it should be permanent and therefore should have a patch panel / faceplates on the ends of it, therefore needing a punch-tool rather than crimpers :)

Why would you say that, lol? They didn't have faceplates or I would have fitted faceplates! I have a punch tool too!

Back
Top Bottom