What film did you watch last night?

Associate
Another vote for the Into the Spider Verse. I've been wanting to watch it for ages so pretty excited when it arrived on netflix last week.
I wasn't sure what I'd make of the art style or the different Spider peeps but was fine on all fronts.

Loved it :D

Amazing movie, loved it. I was skeptical of the art style and the framerate of the characters moving but boy it was fantastic.

Permabanned
Doctor Sleep

Second time watching it and the spell was broken a little this time around. Most likely a screenplay issue, but despite it's healthy run time the characters just never gelled for me at all. I like the premise a lot and some of the campiness from the book is pulled back a little which helps, but it just feels very one note from the get go. Definitely Flannigans weakest work to date imo.

Associate
Love and Monsters - not a bad way to spend the time.

I hadn't heard of it and someone on here mentioned it like a week or so ago so checked it out ... I see why it gets compared a bit to that Zombieland one ... it's fairly predictable start to end, and I'm not sure if I liked the main character much, but it's still an enjoyable romp and the effects were decent... overall it's something that I enjoyed watching but if you asked me in a month about movies I'd seen recently I will have probably forgotten about it.

Associate
Polar (2019) - 7/10

A film of opposites which is stylish, quirky and funny, if not that original.

The cold and cruel deadpan lead is a good contrast to the wacky and zany other characters and overall silly premise.

Excessively violent and gory with lots of sexual nudity, it loses its way in the second half with dull action scenes and a nonsense revenge plot.

Soldato
Polar (2019) - 7/10

A film of opposites which is stylish, quirky and funny, if not that original.

The cold and cruel deadpan lead is a good contrast to the wacky and zany other characters and overall silly premise.

Excessively violent and gory with lots of sexual nudity, it loses its way in the second half with dull action scenes and a nonsense revenge plot.
Matt Lucas completely, and I mean completely, ruins this film for me.

Associate
Close (2019) - 5/10

Strong female focused cast, but some of the acting and dialogue is a bit wooden and their relationship is inconsistent.

The exotic setting is used to some effect, but the story is bland and not very interesting. Action scenes are ok with some excitement, but nothing special.

Associate
What Happened to Monday (2017) - 7/10

An interesting premise and believable future although the dystopian oppressive regime doesn’t really come across much for the society as a whole.

The 7 versions of Rapace are very effectively put together and well acted, but the other characters are unmemorable stereotypes and like most of the film, rather tame.

The story’s good enough, but the tone and pacing is uneven, it drags in the middle and it can’t decide what big reveal it wants to do at the end. Relatively predictable, but the action scenes are quite entertaining with some slapstick and some tense moments.

Soldato
Given the date, I got my wife to watch "The Siege of Jadotville" with me. Excellent film, made all the better by being true. Those poor guys got absolutely stiffed and, staggeringly, the real group had it slightly worse than the ending shown in the film.
The part about the UN Secretary General flying to the Congo is particularly amazing and a brave choice for the film but even more shocking in reality (read up afterwards or you'll spoil it for yourself).

Associate
The Men Who Stare at Goats - 7.5/10

Wonder just how much of it was based on real life.
The film is a fictionalised adaption of the book by Jon Ronson, a lot of ideas are used but the plot and characters are mostly made up. The book is more interesting but does draw connections where frankly there are not any, but well worth a read.

Back
Top Bottom