PSU Selection Advice Pls

Associate
Friend of mine is looking to build himself a new PC, below is the sort of spec he's looking at

Case - Fractal Design R6
Motherboard - Asus Z490-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi
Processor - i5 10600K
Cooling - Corsair Hydro H100x
Memory - Corsair Vengence 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Graphics - Likely something like a GTX 1650 or possibly a 1060
M2 SSD - Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 500GB
Secondary Storage to be determined later, likely another m2 drive and one larger SATA HDD.

He was looking at a Corsair RM650, but sitting here still boxed I have a Seasonic X-Series 650w (haswell ready) 80 Gold Plus unit, and a Be-Quiet Straight Power E9 680w 80 Plus Gold unit and I was wondering if there was any reason you guys could think of that he could not use one of these? i've been out of touch with changes and updates for a little while, so am not 100% up to speed so to speak.

Associate
OP
Thank you, that's what I was thinking, i've offered him both at the same price, and at a good discount to the cost of the corsair unit, pointed him to the jonnyguru reviews for both, and will let him make up his mind.

I just needed confirmation that there wasn't some new requirements connectors wise.

Soldato
Friend of mine is looking to build himself a new PC, below is the sort of spec he's looking at
What's the intended usage of that PC?
Wasting money into brand and fashion hype?
Because there's very little sense in those parts...
For gaming or anything else.

Samsung SSDs are mostly horribly brand overpriced as in costing same as good doubled capacity drive!
Similarly brand overpriced fashion cooler, while graphics card is very low end and also CPU is at base level and without real upgrade path.

Associate
OP
As far as I know mixed use, gaming for his son is a major consideration, but giving him the newest socket board and chipset to build on, so later he can upgrade to a better CPU (i7) whilst keeping the core item of the board in place. I think quietness is also a factor, although that's always a troublesome thing, if you're also looking for good thermal efficiency in a gaming based PC.
I'm currently looking at the parts he's got there and seeing what can be tweaked a little, motherboard and cpu do seem to be solid options for the money, and best he can afford, some could be saved on the motherboard if truth be told, but both should see him ok for a while to come, the i5 is pretty much top value in that range, and best he can afford.
Case, i'm not so convinced on, I think the bequiet base 601 is a better option (I don't think he's bothered about a window or flashing lights! minimalist, and stylish are what he's looking towards more) although the bequiets upper venting is atrocious for an AIO cooler, despite the very handy rack mounting style tray.
For CPU cooler i'm suggesting he swaps for an Arctic Freezer II 280, more than he needs right now, but again will do him well over time.
PSU, given I have the seasonic, it's new and is better than he can afford to buy from a retailer, and cheaper than a suitable one, again with reasonable overhead for updating later, i see this as a no-brainer in the options.
As for the RAM, i'm having to do a little research, as the last machines i've built were on DDR3 and I was never a corsair fanboy when it came to RAM so i'm looking at others, the Patriot Viper Steel series seem a solid choice to me, but may be too expensive, or he might have to shift down to 16GB, personally i dont see this as an issue, as he can simply add a second 16gb pair further down the line.
GPU is where I see a bit of a shortfall, that card for me doesn't give enough of a step up over the previous generation, and given that 1070ti's have been going through the members market for sub 160, i'd be suggesting that sort of route for him i think.
His choice of m2 drive is from my mind spot on, last machine i built was entirely SSD based storage, and all were samsungs, been thoroughly impressed with them, as he can't afford to stretch to the pro version the Evo plus makes sense, although i'd be tempted to down shift the size to allow that option. If Mushkin were more readily available, i'd be looking at there's more closely.

Last edited:
Soldato
giving him the newest socket board and chipset to build on, so later he can upgrade to a better CPU (i7)

...and best he can afford.

His choice of m2 drive is from my mind spot on, last machine i built was entirely SSD based storage, and all were samsungs, been thoroughly impressed with them, as he can't afford to stretch to the pro version the Evo plus makes sense, although i'd be tempted to down shift the size to allow that option. If Mushkin were more readily available, i'd be looking at there's more closely.
Intel has nothing on upgradability.
Zen3 kicked Intel to balls with fully same per core performance while having way higher core count models available.
Which actually drop in price some time after successor model coming, unlike Intel overcharging for old models.

Good AM4 boards are available for well under £200 level.
And if Wifi isn't needed boards with well done basics like strong CPU VRM are available for £140.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-b550-aorus-elite-amd-am4-b550-atx-motherboard-mb-58v-gi.html

If cooler costs even quarter of CPU and graphics card is total low end, he's got some whacked up priorities.
Just for scale new Xbox would make that PC look like old gen console in comparison.

Nowadays Samsungs are spot on only in brand overpricing.
1TB WD Blue SN550 is even little cheaper than Samsung.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/wd-b...-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0c-hd-56l-wd.html

Associate
OP
Yeah, agree with you in the Intel upgrade path for sure, seems they've stripped down their range, and left little in the way of "steps" in the upgrade path, as for older gen, I do see your point, although I would argue that MS have a lot to do with that, and the fact they wiped an entire generation of old gen out when they tried forcing windows 10 only on new chipsets, effectively forcing older gen stuff off the shelves at the same time, and now, yeah, not much progression so they hold price (was very surprised to not see PCIe 4.0 in the 490 chipsets) Also noticeable is they've stripped away that cheap xeon route that used to be popular, and what's happened to Quad channel memory expansion plans, looks like we're stuck with dual-channel from what I can see, so I do get what you're saying, but at the end of the day, his choice, he wants to stick with intel, so best bang for current buck appears to be that CPU. (don't even get me started on the KF and F variants, why would anyone buy a chip that failed somewhere and was binned lower, for the same money is beyond me)

Coolers cost versus CPU has always been a hot topic, do you change cooler every time you switch CPUs? as you change CPUs be it from one i5 to the next fastest, or step up to an i7 (perhaps increasing TDP) do you overclock less thus creating more heat earlier in your builds life? - then there's the issues of case versus cooler size, I like to get (within reason) a cooler that won't require changing inside 2 upgrades, and thus won't require the case selection revisiting (case options seem so abundant yet so totally sh.t at the same time lately, and wtf is it with all this tempered glass and stupid flashing lights (RGB) everywhere!) - he was looking at/wanting an AIO unit, he picked as you said a brand "hyped" one - i've switched him to one more praised for it's performance rather than name recognition (Arctic Freezer II 280 or if case determines, the 240 model)

The SSD thing we're going to have to agree to disagree on, because you highlighted an example there, that is all but what, £3 cheaper than I can get the evo plus for, and yet is slower in all aspects, does have a goot MTBF value, single sided chipsets on all capacities which is good for heatsink implementation, but is then not the best in power consumption, causing more need for those heatsinks, plus, black friday deals are brining the 970 Pro into his price range or if you want to look at more unorthodox sources they can be picked up for circa 20 more.

I have tweaked his build suggesting he change the RAM for Viper Steel 3600mhz, the Case for the bequiet 601, although if he still wants an optical drive, unknown at this point, then the R6 might be the way to go, or if needs to save cash, stupid as it may sound, the Phanteks Enthoo Pro M although cheaper and a budget case does fit a lot of the variables he'd want, add some dynamat to some of the panels and it'll deaden out some of the sound (although again with the only option left available being the silly full sized glass panel variant!) Motherboard i've guided him to look at the MSI gaming board, although with some shopping around you can get the ASUS at the same sort of price, that said, the mATX MSI Gaming can be had for 30 to 40 pounds cheaper, and have asked if he really needed an ATX sized board.

WiFi was a must, i'm assuming he doesn't want to add a PCIe based card version, or the costs works out more favorable to buy it with it onboard, LAN does finally seem to be moving on (if your other hardware supports it) so I was looking at 2.5GB LAN options

Console not an option, as he wants to use the PC for other stuff, video editing has been mentioned, but how serious i don't know, and that's a whole different playing field, so right now i think he just want's something competent enough to deal with that sort of stuff, whilst allowing son to game.

EDIT:
Forgot to say, with tweaks to his build, i've managed to adjust the available amount of his original budget for the GPU to about £250 - which i think(hope) you'll agree is a much more balanced amount to spend on the GPU in this build, something in the region of a GTX 1660 Super if he want's new or perhaps better if second hand form the members market.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Intel has nothing on upgradability.
Zen3 kicked Intel to balls with fully same per core performance while having way higher core count models available.
Which actually drop in price some time after successor model coming, unlike Intel overcharging for old models.

Good AM4 boards are available for well under £200 level.

managed to bring him round to that way of thinking :) .... now planning a Ryzen 5 3600XT on an MSI x570 Tomahawk, with 32GB of Viper Steel 3600, and a PCIe 4.0 SSD, along with a shift to the Arctic Freezer II 240 cooler :)
that's saved him enough to allow a bit more for the GPU and am looking here in the members market for something in the range of a 1070 ti, that I think is a little more balanced overall, whilst leaving room for CPU upgrades, be it via pre-wned from the members market, or the newer 5000 series later on.

And should all still be fine with the seasonic x-series 650 psu I have.

Back
Top Bottom