LED Batten Advice

Associate
Hello folks, one of my old kitchen fluorescent tubes recently packed up and I decided that instead of trying to fix it I would move the LED Batten lights. So I am in the market for three 5ft (150 cm) batten lights to replace a my current ones (a 4ft, a 5ft and a 6ft)!

The issue I am having is, having looked on some website such as screwfix a lot of the reviews complain about lights either:

1) Not having centre entry for cables

2) Not having sufficient space in the lights to cope with two inbound cables within the light housing.

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend any 5ft LED Batten lights that have centre cable entry and also a decent amount of space within the housing to accommodate 2 wires coming into the light.

Thanks

Associate
I wanted to do the same recently in my garage but when I was in B&Q they were selling off some LED replacement tube fittings so I got a couple of those as they were cheap at the time. To be honest It was a bit of a cope out because I didnt want to have to pay for a new fitting but I have been very impressed with them so far. The light is so much brighter than the previous light which of course was just a normal florescent tube. Maybe an idea.

Associate
OP
I wanted to do the same recently in my garage but when I was in B&Q they were selling off some LED replacement tube fittings so I got a couple of those as they were cheap at the time. To be honest It was a bit of a cope out because I didnt want to have to pay for a new fitting but I have been very impressed with them so far. The light is so much brighter than the previous light which of course was just a normal florescent tube. Maybe an idea.

Interesting. For some reason I had assumed you could not put an LED tube in a fluorescent light. Guess that's today's learning point!

That said , I am still very interested in new lights, as the current ones are really old, grubby and ugly!

Associate
Interesting. For some reason I had assumed you could not put an LED tube in a fluorescent light. Guess that's today's learning point!

That said , I am still very interested in new lights, as the current ones are really old, grubby and ugly!

Mine where as well! but then again mine are in my garage so its a little different. I was pleasantry surprised how good they are and how much brighter the garage is after the swap over.

Don
Subscribed to this thread, as looking at replacing my kitchen tube as well.

When I looked a little while ago it looked like you bought a kit with the tube and an led starter (essentially a fuse I believe).

The only part that put me off was mention of whether the existing fitting is wired at single or both ends? :confused:

Man of Honour
We had a 35w 4Ft flourescent strip light in the kitchen which was the last remaining non-LED fitting in the house. I got fed up with the dull light from it which put half the kitchen into shadow so in December 2019 I bought the 4ft 40w version of these. It's a huge upgrade in light output and the kitchen is really bright now so you can see what you are doing in all parts. It was simple to fit, runs cool, doesn't flicker and is only around a third the thickness of the flourescent fitting it replaced. I will be getting a shorter version to replace the LED spotlights down the other end of the kitchen. It doesn't have a hole for the cable in the center but around two thirds of the way down which was perfect for where it sits in our kitchen.

Soldato
Hello folks, one of my old kitchen fluorescent tubes recently packed up and I decided that instead of trying to fix it I would move the LED Batten lights. So I am in the market for three 5ft (150 cm) batten lights to replace a my current ones (a 4ft, a 5ft and a 6ft)!

The issue I am having is, having looked on some website such as screwfix a lot of the reviews complain about lights either:

1) Not having centre entry for cables

2) Not having sufficient space in the lights to cope with two inbound cables within the light housing.

So I was wondering if anyone could recommend any 5ft LED Batten lights that have centre cable entry and also a decent amount of space within the housing to accommodate 2 wires coming into the light.

Thanks

I have these in my garage - whilst the lights are really good those reviews are correct but then thats why they are the price they are. You attach the brackets, wire in the two wires and its done

Associate
OP
I'll probably be broke after finding 4 replacement LED lights that pump out 3,500 lumens to replace the existing battens!

Soldato
Honestly amazed so many people even still have florescent tubes in use anywhere but a garage or large office space, certainly didn't think they were used in homes anymore excl maybe caravans

Don
Just about to order this one:
https://www.any-lamp.co.uk/philips-corepro-ledtube-un-ho-23w-840-150cm-cool-white-replaces-58w

2700 Lumen should be fine to replace the supposed 58w 5200 Lumen Fluorescent I currently have, as I've read a few reviews that say the typical 1800-2200 Lumen bulbs that are more readily available (e.g. at screwfix etc) aren't necessarily quite as bright as the Fluorescents they've replaced

(I did see a 3700 Lumen one, but guessing that would be overkill for a Kitchen!
https://www.any-lamp.co.uk/philips-ledtube-un-uo-24w-840-150cm-master-cool-white-replaces-58w)

Associate
OP
Honestly amazed so many people even still have florescent tubes in use anywhere but a garage or large office space, certainly didn't think they were used in homes anymore excl maybe caravans

I have 3 in the kitchen. Only been here 5 years a d not decorated the kitchen, so left them in place as they are working. Ugly as sin however.

Don
Just to update, I ended up buying this one:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/philips-g13-t8-led-tube-2000lm-20w-1500mm/6280v

Not quite as bright as the Osram 58W it replaced, but instant on and no flickering is a revelation :)

Struggled to find anything brighter from anywhere they didn't either look dodgy (e.g. the above website I linked), or would sell individual tubes.

Have just bought our house from the council, so will be redo-ing the Kitchen at some point, and will replace the lights then. Until then though, this is a minor upgrade (and will likely save some electric over time)

Back
Top Bottom