Google photos to count towards 15GB limit from June 2021 :(

Permabanned
I sub PA for 100GB from Google but only using about 3GB currently since the photos stopped being backed up to Google Drive when Google decided to change things.

Now photos (I am not big on taking photos) taken by my phone are backed up with OneDrive and I have 1TB with my Office 365 Sub.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I might need to pay, I'd use Amazon but the google interface and the photos app is too good. Face reckognition, map browse, and auto fix photos etc is amazing.

Soldato
Was coming for a while.

Can't say I'm happy about Google Music being closed down and replaced by Youtube Music (absolute garbage!) though. I transferred my library to Youtube Music but the app is awful. So many clicks to get through to your library, terrible scroll speed through songlist and just terrible layout. Google Music was so slick, neat and tidy in comparison.

Soldato

I found Google opinions absolutely useless. I had a few when they first launched many years ago, but don't think i've had any since.

but may look into Amazon AWS (S1, S2 whatever)

You're almost there - S3. Although it'll only work out cheaper if you're storing Terabytes of data. Anything upto about 1Tb will work out cheaper on other platforms, S3 wasn't really designed for storing small data sets. You could move it into glacier/cold storage, but you'd pay an absolute fortune to retrieve it. Well, it's not stupidly expensive, but if you had to retrieve it, it'll work out more expensive than paying for something like Google Drive or Dropbox etc overall.

I might need to pay, I'd use Amazon but the google interface and the photos app is too good. Face reckognition, map browse, and auto fix photos etc is amazing.

I'm tempted to upload my photos to Google Photos, let it do it's thing, and then download them and stick them elsewhere.

Was coming for a while.

Can't say I'm happy about Google Music being closed down and replaced by Youtube Music (absolute garbage!) though. I transferred my library to Youtube Music but the app is awful. So many clicks to get through to your library, terrible scroll speed through songlist and just terrible layout. Google Music was so slick, neat and tidy in comparison.

Was in the midst of downloading my entire library again, unfortunately it's a bit **** at doing that. You can do a mass library download, but it then just dumps every track into a single folder, with some weird naming convention, so i've had to download each album individually.

Associate
Yeah I'm planning on uploading the remainder of my shots to Google Photos, then switch to another provider in June and just keep it as a 'belt and braces' backup for those older files.

Probably not worth the hassle unless you shoot a *lot* like I do

Caporegime
1TB Onedrive is £4.56 a month and comes with a 50GB exchange email account. Much better than many free solutions as you can upload any file type and access it like a normal drive. I don't want to upload my raw photos onto services just to have them turned into a different compressed format!

Associate
Anyone know if you can link Google photos to read a local NAS.

I have my photos backed up having a pixel phone.
With that said they are also backed up locally on my NAS/synced to a portable backup drive.

Last edited:
Associate
Buy a pi and just mount your nas(s) shares, then use something like this - https://snapcraft.io/install/gphotos-sync/raspbian
Cheers chap - Does this still not have the pre-requisite that the photos still need to be hosted on Google's servers to use the Android app, calling into question my point using the app to view photos from NAS.

I've already solutioned syncing my photos to my NAS.

I just want to migrate away from cloud storage, but will want to use Google Photos as my application of choice :)

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
Been using an app called sweet home Wi-Fi to upload to my NAS which works great but also had Google photos running as well, been meaning to remove all my photos from Google anyway but how do I remove them without wiping them off my phone? Last time I tried I emptied the phone of pictures.

Associate
Been using an app called sweet home Wi-Fi to upload to my NAS which works great but also had Google photos running as well, been meaning to remove all my photos from Google anyway but how do I remove them without wiping them off my phone? Last time I tried I emptied the phone of pictures.
You don't need to remove them, the limit isn't retroactive

Associate
Alternatively, just install something like https://syncthing.net/ on your phone and your PC and set it to monitor the relevant folders on your phone. Any photos or videos I take on my phone are backed up to both my home PC and backup server within a few seconds. I also use it to sync my Keepass database between all my devices in real-time.
Thanks for this - just looked up the link , seems pretty useful and straightforward.
Was looking for a way to share keepass between devices etc and also backup photos to server from phone
Any downsides you have experienced from using this at all - or things to watch out for when setting up etc ?

Cheers for the heads up guys on Amazon Prime giving 5GB for photos and videos. I started paying for Prime when the first lockdown happened back in March and it has been really useful just for the deliveries alone. I haven't even tried their music or video streaming service yet. I believe Prime also gives you ad-free access to Twitch? Twitch is something I haven't tried either.

For Google photo usage, where can I find out how much I'm using up, and how to free that space up?

Back
Top Bottom