Novice Video Editing Hardware Question

Soldato
Hi All,

I am currently building a new PC for gaming and productivity such as coding, Power Bi and Video Editing.

I have secured a 5900X with 32Gb of 3600mhz RAM and will looking for a flagship Nvidia or AMD card when I can get my hands on one.

I would like to know if Premiere and Resolve can make use of AMD Graphics Cards as with the current Nivida shortage this could very well be a viable option if they stack up well against the 3000 series.

Soldato
Yes the Mercury engine can use CUDA or OpenCL. You need 6Gb of VRAM for 4k accelerated rendering.

Unless your Steven Spielberg your not going to see any perceived difference between the two brands when editing.

Last edited:
Soldato

let me just add that a RTX 2080ti performs a bit quicker for video rendering that a RTX 3070. There's a video on Google somewhere. Maybe a 2nd hand one would be in order?

Edit: Here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkB9EwlvhMA&list=PLvv4g7UMnnE2Z_Ju7g2Z46HM6zziAezUj

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
Going by some reviews and YouTube videos you could probably just buy an M1 Mac Mini, which is probably cheaper than the latest graphics card and get some brilliant performance

My Edit Assistant picked one up last week, so we have that in the suite. It does a good job - an amazing job actually considering the price, but my 2020 iMac does indeed wipe the floor with it in real world use. I'm using 35gb .PSD files directly on my Premiere timeline, no problem. The mini, no chance.

Premiere on it is also not nearly stable enough yet for my use, and the lack of 10GbE is an annoyance.

He has it chugging through media in Resolve all day, and for that it's fab. And again, for the price, nothing can touch it. Comparing a £700 mini to a £4k iMac is nothing short of utterly unfair!

Back
Top Bottom