• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PCIE Lanes Dilema for the 5000 series CPU

Soldato
Soldato
The only way to have more than 2 pcie4 drives is through addon card and pcie lane bifurcation with the slots linked to the cpu. No other way on AM4 platform atm.

you end up with PCIe 4x8 for the GPU. Whether that will severely cripple GPU is another question. You can always test the GPU by setting it to pcie4x8 and see the difference before committing to buying the motherboards.

Associate
I apologize in advanced if this is in the wrong area and/or this post is all over the place.

My current build is a 1st generation threadripper which I was wanting to upgrade to the new 5000 series CPU, specifically a 5900 or 5950x so that entails getting the CPU and a new motherboard. That is not the issue.

So now that I've laid out my current build and what I'm wanting to upgrade to A few weeks ago I purchased 3 Sabrent gen4 m.2

2tb gen 4
1tb gen 4
500gig gen 4

Now, the issue here unless i'm mistaken, and I may very well be or just not understood the new AMD 5000 cpu Lanes and how they work. They have 24 lanes where 4 are allocated to the chipset, 1 for the GPU (I also plan on getting the 6900XT) which would leave 4 lanes left for 1 M.2 to run at full speed.

The issue here would my other 2 gen 4 m.2 upon installing still get gen4 speeds as from my understanding they seem to be taken up by the chipset, GPU and one of the m.2s.

Can someone please shed some light here and let me know if I would lose any gen4 speed on the other m.2s i plan on installing?

If I won't get full gen 4.0 speed I was just thinking of going for the 3950x has his from my understanding has 40 lanes which would be enough to drive a GPU and 3 m.2 gen 4 drives.

Thanks for info and answers you can provide.

If you go Ryzen 5000 series with 3 x NVMe X4.0 and X570 then PCIe slot 1 will be X16g4 for your GPU, upper NVMe slot will be from CPU, lower from chipset. Now you've a few options, you can go Gigabyte, Asrock and they will give you 3 M.2 slots on the board (1 from CPU, remaining from chipset) or if you go ASUS, 2 by M.2 at Gen 4 (1 by CPU, 1 by Chipset) and you could find a Hyper M.2 Card (Gen 4 variant) and set both physical X16 PCIe to run at X8 and turn on NVMe RAID mode for PCIE Slot 2. That would allow you to run all 3 NVMe drives at Gen 4 and your GPU at Gen 4 but X8. In theory you should be able to fill both M.2 slots on MB + 2 x M.2 on the Hyper M.2 card and have your GPU running merrily away.
Personally I'd keep the 1TB and 2TB cards and fit on board and ditch the 500GB. Alternatively, get a cheap single PCIe M.2 card and pop on any available free slot. Loads of options.

Soldato
If you go Ryzen 5000 series with 3 x NVMe X4.0 and X570 then PCIe slot 1 will be X16g4 for your GPU, upper NVMe slot will be from CPU, lower from chipset. Now you've a few options, you can go Gigabyte, Asrock and they will give you 3 M.2 slots on the board (1 from CPU, remaining from chipset) or if you go ASUS, 2 by M.2 at Gen 4 (1 by CPU, 1 by Chipset) and you could find a Hyper M.2 Card (Gen 4 variant) and set both physical X16 PCIe to run at X8 and turn on NVMe RAID mode for PCIE Slot 2. That would allow you to run all 3 NVMe drives at Gen 4 and your GPU at Gen 4 but X8. In theory you should be able to fill both M.2 slots on MB + 2 x M.2 on the Hyper M.2 card and have your GPU running merrily away.
Personally I'd keep the 1TB and 2TB cards and fit on board and ditch the 500GB. Alternatively, get a cheap single PCIe M.2 card and pop on any available free slot. Loads of options.
I said that twice already. I don’t think the OP is listening.

Associate
OP
I said that twice already. I don’t think the OP is listening.

Sorry that I haven't got back sooner to this thread. I'm on 12-hour shifts and haven't had the chance to respond and thank everyone for replying.

Thanks to those who have taken the time to reply and help out I'm shifting towards getting the 3950x but still also looking at the 5950x when it becomes available. One thing I do know that I'll be getting is an x570 motherboard and a 3950x or 5950x along with an AMD GPU either the 6800XT or the 6900 XTX. Prefably the 6900XTX. Thanks again for taking the time out of their day to reply and guide me it's much appreciated.

Associate
AMD Intel platforms outside of HEDT don't have lanes for NVMe yet.

If you don't need the max performance out of the NVMe drives and it is just because you have built up a load of them over time then your choices are to sell them for much larger capacity NVMe, or buy something like a HighPoint SSD7204 or SSD 7140 which will allow you to run 4 -8 nvme drives over 8 lanes of PCIe but will never provide more speed that 8 lanes and its not cheap

Or of course wait for TR5xxx

If you don't mind second hand you can get into TR3 for sub 1k, was considering that myself.

Soldato
You'll need a X570 board to do this without reducing lanes for the GPU.

This is a MSI unify X570. 2 x gen 4 drives using chipset lanes. But these will be sharing the 4 x lanes the cpu uses for communication with the chipset.

AMD® X570 Chipset
  • 4x SATA 6Gb/s ports
  • 2x M.2 slots (M2_2/ M2_3, Key M)1
    • Support PCIe 4.0/ 3.0 x4 and SATA 6Gb/s
    • Support 2242/ 2260 /2280 storage devices
AMD® Processor
  • 1x M.2 slot (M2_1, Key M)1
    • Supports PCIe 4.0 x4 (3rd Gen AMD Ryzen™)
    • Supports PCIe 3.0 x4 (2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™/ Ryzen™ 4000 G-Series, Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics and 2nd Gen AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Graphics)
    • Supports 2242/ 2260 /2280/ 22110 storage devices

Back
Top Bottom