Hyperloop acceleration

Associate
If the hyperloop went from 0 to 107 miles an hour and back to 0 again in 500 metres, what would be the acceleration rate, 0-60 time?

Can someone work it out? :)

Presumably it envoles s =ut +1/2 at squared??

Soldato
Fag packet no calculator about 6 seconds I think.

I got the acceleration assuming equal acceleration and deceleration as about 4.5m/s^2

An online tool tells me 4.5m/s^2 is abut 0-60 in 6 seconds

edit: willing to accept I'm wrong if anyone disagrees.

Caporegime
If the hyperloop went from 0 to 107 miles an hour and back to 0 again in 500 metres, what would be the acceleration rate, 0-60 time?

Can someone work it out? :)

Presumably it envoles s =ut +1/2 at squared??

There's not enough information to calculate it, unless you make assumptions such as the acceleration and deceleration being constant and the same which is highly unlikely.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's not enough information to calculate it, unless you make assumptions such as the acceleration and deceleration being constant and the same which is highly unlikely.
I agree, much more likely a higher initial acceleration and longer coast stage. My calculation is effectively the minimum acceleration you could achieve it with but no the most likely.

Soldato
Obviously a few assumptions required but my rough working:

107mph = 47.833 m/s

Assuming linear acceleration the average speed would be half of this (23.92m/s)

Assuming rates of acceleration and deceleration are equal you’d be accelerating over the first 250m. Covering 250m at an average speed of 23.92m/s would take 10.45 seconds

Accelerating from zero to 23.93m/s over 10.45 seconds with constant acceleration would require a rate of 2.28m/s^2

2.28m/s^2 would equate to about 0.23g which doesn’t sound particularly uncomfortable

Associate
Similar to kaiowas calculation above, you could do it with an acceleration equivalent to around a car doing a 6 second 0-60 time, and then braking at a similar rate that the highway code assumes for a passenger car (albeit extrapolated up to 107mph as the higway code doesn't suggest stopping distances for that speed!)

Of course, it could be faster acceleration with a coast, but that's the min performance required

Caporegime
I have to say I'm disappointed by the progress of this whole project tbh, a conventional motorbike does 400mph in normal air density without any of the risks of being in a vacuum or requiring massive infrastructure etc.

Soldato
As others have said a question with way too many variables to even be able to assume a value. did it reach 107mph within 50m then travel at said speed until 400m before it started decelerating? There just isn't enough information to make an educated assumptive guess.

Caporegime
How are they addressing the whole implosion problem ?

Good ol' atmospheric pressure, the amount of energy it can release and exert as force is mental.

Have a look at this video to have an idea of what could happen in the event of a sudden decompression:

As for the Hyperloop, this is in the same category as flying cars, quantum computing and fusion: always 30 years away. I'll believe it when I see it.

Back
Top Bottom